Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Yashalta
Level 1
Level 1

How to configure screensaver?

Post by Yashalta »

Hi,
i just recently installed Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon x64bit and I like it!
But, during that time when I watching or reading always screensaver is activated!
Of course I can disable it at all ... But I need it!
Please help me to configure screensaver that, when I reading or watching moves it is not disturb to me?

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: How to configure screensaver?

Post by Cosmo. »

You have 2 choices:

#1: pen the screensaver settings and select a higher value for starting the screensaver in case of inactivity. 4th option on the settings page.

#2: Right click an empty place on the panel and select to add an applet. In the dialog search the inhibit applet and add it to the panel. You can now disable the screensaver from this place, e.g. if you watch a video.

amethyst_igor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by amethyst_igor »

Yashalta wrote:Hi,
i just recently installed Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon x64bit and I like it!
But, during that time when I watching or reading always screensaver is activated!
Of course I can disable it at all ... But I need it!
Please help me to configure screensaver that, when I reading or watching moves it is not disturb to me?
SMPlayer has a way to deactivate the screensaver. Install SMPlayer + MPV from Software Manager and use that to play videos. That combination is the fastest video player in Linux and can handle just about every modern video format.
I run both Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18 in dual boot with two SSDs and have other rigs running various versions of Linux. My blog.

Yashalta
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Yashalta »

Cosmo. wrote: #2: Right click an empty place on the panel and select to add an applet. In the dialog search the inhibit applet and add it to the panel. You can now disable the screensaver from this place, e.g. if you watch a video.
Thanks for advising!!!
I installed a "inhibit applet", i don't know why but your instruction dont work in my os Linux Mint 17.3 x32bit.
I installed it is from https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/59
Cosmo. wrote:You have 2 choices:

#1: pen the screensaver settings and select a higher value for starting the screensaver in case of inactivity. 4th option on the settings page.
This tutorial I do not understand at all! if not difficult, can you write it for dummies? :wink:
amethyst_igor wrote:
Yashalta wrote:Hi,
Install SMPlayer + MPV from Software Manager and use that to play videos. That combination is the fastest video player in Linux and can handle just about every modern video format.
Where can I see how to configure it? I've heard that it is possible to watch online movies by browsers but using MPlayer + MPV instead about flash player!

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Yashalta wrote:
Cosmo. wrote:You have 2 choices:

This tutorial I do not understand at all! if not difficult, can you write it for dummies? :wink:
SystemSettingsScreensaver.jpg
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

Yashalta wrote:
Cosmo. wrote: #2: Right click an empty place on the panel and select to add an applet. In the dialog search the inhibit applet and add it to the panel. You can now disable the screensaver from this place, e.g. if you watch a video.
Thanks for advising!!!
I installed a "inhibit applet", i don't know why but your instruction dont work in my os Linux Mint 17.3 x32bit.
I installed it is from https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/59
This is an alternative to what I advised. My advise was to add the already pre-installed inhibit applet to the panel. But it is OK as you did. Both applets have advantages on their site.
Cosmo. wrote:#1: pen the screensaver settings and select a higher value for starting the screensaver in case of inactivity. 4th option on the settings page.
I admit, there was a little typo on my side: The first word should be open. Besides of that I don't know, how I should explain it different. You go to the settings page, count to option #4 and change the value (default = 10 min).

Yashalta
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Yashalta »

Thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”