Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
duke0467
Level 1
Level 1

Libre office on 17.3 64

Post by duke0467 »

I recently upgraded to 64 bit Cinnamon 17.3. The office app is really bad or I have the wrong program installed somehow. Some of the problems include: all saved documents have the 'blink' activated in the character format and it cannot be turned off; the save as option brings up a menu that is very difficult to navigate and does not allow access to things such as flash drives to save those documents; you have to enter the entire path of the file you want to save where as the version I am used to you could click on the location you want and enter the file type and name and done. This is not a user friendly program and it was one of the best. What happened?
Either I have the wrong version of the program installed or ...?
Any help would be appreciated.

amethyst_igor
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Libre office on 17.3 64

Post by amethyst_igor »

duke0467 wrote:I recently upgraded to 64 bit Cinnamon 17.3. The office app is really bad or I have the wrong program installed somehow. Some of the problems include: all saved documents have the 'blink' activated in the character format and it cannot be turned off; the save as option brings up a menu that is very difficult to navigate and does not allow access to things such as flash drives to save those documents; you have to enter the entire path of the file you want to save where as the version I am used to you could click on the location you want and enter the file type and name and done. This is not a user friendly program and it was one of the best. What happened?
Either I have the wrong version of the program installed or ...?
Any help would be appreciated.
I use LibreOffice on 64 bit Cinnamon 17.3 and do not have these problems. Sounds like botched install to me. One suggestion will be to uninstall the program, go to Home and rename your LibreOffice configuration directory, and then reinstall. However, another possibility, one you should definitely look into, is that the permissions somewhere in Home are incorrect. Check permissions in Home, now. Examine properties of folders. I have had similar problems before, wherein a good and trusted app acts strange, and the problem was that I had copied a lot of directories into Home from a flash drive backup, in order to get my old configuration files, and the permissions were all out of wack and restrictive. Copying folders and files into Home will play havoc with permissions. Linux apps need to be able to read/write to Home in order to remain sane. Otherwise they go completely bananas. I opened up permissions and all was well in igor's laboratory. It may be as simple as that.
I run both Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18 in dual boot with two SSDs and have other rigs running various versions of Linux. My blog.

duke0467
Level 1
Level 1

Post by duke0467 »

There is one problem with that. My total ignorance! :) How do I actually access permissions. When I look at my home files I don't see anything that looks to me like settings or permissions? Sorry, I am new to Linux having been a Windows dupe for so long. I tried the re-install with no effect.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

Let us start with the easiest thing:

Close LO completely and make sure, that the quick starter is also closed.
Open the file manager and make hidden files visible (ctrl-h).
Go in your home into the folder .config
Rename the folder libreoffice to libreoffice.bck
Start LO to check, if this solves the issue.

Don't do a new installation of LO; this brings in 99 % only frustration, but no solution.

duke0467
Level 1
Level 1

Post by duke0467 »

Tried that. Even did a cold boot to make sure everything was closed and tried again. Didn't help. Any other suggestions? I am willing and eager to try any you can suggest.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

Second investigation:

Mark the following command and press ctrl-C

Code: Select all

find $HOME ! -user $USER -type f
open a terminal and press ctrl-shift-V
Mark the complete result inclusive the command and press ctrl-shift-C
In the forum click the Code-button above the text box, than press ctrl-V.

Report in case, that there is no output.

amethyst_igor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by amethyst_igor »

duke0467 wrote:Tried that. Even did a cold boot to make sure everything was closed and tried again. Didn't help. Any other suggestions? I am willing and eager to try any you can suggest.
From your desktop, you can press ctrl + alt + T to open a terminal window and type the command Cosmo suggests.

Another way to examine and modify file permissions is to use your file manager, Nemo. You can customize Nemo to display permissions on the List view. Keep in mind a big difference between Windows and Linux is that Linux is all about the permissions, the security of files and paths. Linux is securer, maybe even more secure than you want it to be right at the moment. When things don't work right, barring any recent changes to the system, the cause is usually because of restrictive file or path permissions.

But once you fix it, then everything will be fine. I had a similar problem that resulted from copying a bunch of backup files, including configuration files, from a flash drive to Home.
I run both Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18 in dual boot with two SSDs and have other rigs running various versions of Linux. My blog.

duke0467
Level 1
Level 1

Post by duke0467 »

Cosmo. wrote:Second investigation:

Mark the following command and press ctrl-C

Code: Select all

find $HOME ! -user $USER -type f
open a terminal and press ctrl-shift-V
Mark the complete result inclusive the command and press ctrl-shift-C
In the forum click the Code-button above the text box, than press ctrl-V.

Report in case, that there is no output.
Tried this several times with no result. Any other suggestions?

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

Create a new user account and compare the behavior there.

duke0467
Level 1
Level 1

Post by duke0467 »

Sorry for being dense, but create a new user account where?

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

Open from the menu User & Groups. Click on the left side near the bottom the button to add a new account.

duke0467
Level 1
Level 1

Post by duke0467 »

Cosmo. wrote:Open from the menu User & Groups. Click on the left side near the bottom the button to add a new account.
Did that and wish I hadn't now my original login will not work, however, everything suggested so far has not done the job.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

duke0467 wrote:Did that and wish I hadn't now my original login will not work, however, everything suggested so far has not done the job.
What does that mean?

duke0467
Level 1
Level 1

Post by duke0467 »

Cosmo. wrote:
duke0467 wrote:Did that and wish I hadn't now my original login will not work, however, everything suggested so far has not done the job.
What does that mean?
It means that after I created a new account I couldn't log in to my original account and I am unable to delete the new one,: however, it does not seem to be the problem I originally thought so ignore it. The statement about all suggested fixes have not fixed the problem, means I am still looking for help. I hope this clarifies my comments and sorry if I was obtuse.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

I still cannot follow.

At first: Why are you not able to log into the original account? Password rejected, any error messages (which)?

At second: How can you proceed with your original problem, if you cannot log in?

duke0467
Level 1
Level 1

Post by duke0467 »

As to why I could not log in I have no Idea. It would appear that my Changing passwords on my original account has allowed my to log in to that one and I am now fine with it. My need still centers around LO. As A writer it is a very important part of my day.
Do you believe that I have found a black hole ad should just give up on LO and try something else?

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

From your answer I am unable to say, which account you are now actually using: the old account or a new account?

duke0467
Level 1
Level 1

Post by duke0467 »

This is not helping me, Sir, but apparently I am back in on my old account.

Return to “Software & Applications”