Avoid Typing Password

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rready

Avoid Typing Password

Post by rready »

Hi,

My VPN has a software program to run which connects me to the VPN etc.

I run this program as a startup program when I boot my PC. Linux Mint asks for a password everytime I open the VPN software. Is there a way to give this particular program and exception so that I don't need to type in the password?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Avoid Typing Password

Post by Cosmo. »

What might that software be? A kind of password manager? In this case the password, that you have to enter is most likely the master password for it and the password(s) inside is encrypted. Most likely it is not possible - and out of security reasons not advisable - to disable the master password. Take a look, if there is an option, to store the master password in the key-ring of the system.
rready

Post by rready »

Sorry, I wasn't clear. When I open "Software Manager" I have to enter a system level password. I have to enter this same password when opening the VPN software.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Is auto-login enabled?
rready

Post by rready »

Auto-login is when I boot up my PC and it goes all the way to the Linux desktop without me using a username and password?
If so, then yes. Auto-login is enabled.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

With auto-login your system's key ring doesn't get unlocked automatically. If there is the chance to store the VPN password inside the key ring, you can prevent the request for this password.
rready

Post by rready »

Thanks for helping me.

To see if I understand correctly: If I use auto-login I then have to manually log into every program which performs administrative tasks?

When I first boot up my PC, Software Manager opens automatically, without the need for the password. But if I close Software Manager down and open it again later it does ask for the password.

Therefore there is a setting somewhere which allows Software Manager to open on system boot without the password.

Can I give the same privileges to my VPN software (open on system boot without the password) somehow? Is this what would be accomplished by what you suggested with the system key ring?

For the avoidance of doubt, Linux Mint wants me to give the system level password prior to running the VPN software. I am not referring to the password I use to connect to the VPN server.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Your understanding is not quite correct.
The point is, that Mint as a build-in key-ring, which can store passwords to open some programs and resources. Whether this works, depends from the actual program; look carefully for settings or if there is in the password request dialog an option to store the password "permanently". E.g. if you connect to a network resource, you will find this option, if you click to show the options in the dialog.

The key-ring itself gets stored encrypted. The password for unlocking the key-ring is the same as your user-password (as long as you did not change he one or the other). If you log in manually by entering your password in the login screen, the key-ring gets unlocked automatically.If you auto-login, the key-ring has to get manually unlocked; this is - if my understanding of your description is right - likely the case for you.
rready wrote:When I first boot up my PC, Software Manager opens automatically, without the need for the password. But if I close Software Manager down and open it again later it does ask for the password.
I cannot follow. As long as you did not add the software manager into the autostart programs it will not open automatically. Furthermore I have no idea, how it should be possible, that it opens at first without password request and at the next time with password request.
rready

Post by rready »

You are correct, I was mistaken. Software Manager does not open automatically. It is another window with shortcuts to Software Manager and other software.

Can you point me in the direction of some instructions on using the key-ring and adding my VPN software to it please?

Thanks.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Example: You open a network resource in your LAN. This will show you a password request dialog. You will find in the lower part the options, click the small triangle in front t open them. If you select there to remember the password permanently, it will get stored in the key-ring.

If the VPN-software provides this option, depends from the software.
rready

Post by rready »

I can't see the triangle.

The dialogue box says "enter your password to perfrom administrative tasks".
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

No triangle, that was a wrong remembrance. I usually don't see the dialogs because I have my keyring unlocked.
password-dialog.png
Last option "Nie vergessen" is in English "Never forget".
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I am surprised if the /etc/sudoers file wouln't allow no password for a specific program to run ..
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sudoers
http://askubuntu.com/questions/192050/h ... o-password

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1132821
--might be a better guide !!

Either directly or just via a group name ..

Return to “Software & Applications”