How do I make a Minecraft server on Linux Mint?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Alexiy
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How do I make a Minecraft server on Linux Mint?

Post by Alexiy » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:10 am

DriedOrange wrote:http://imgur.com/K4BkTHB
Thank you! Now, how do I find the IP address to connect to the server?
You are welcome. If you want to connect it from the same computer, then you can write 'localhost' in the address line. If you want to connect to it from other computers, the IP address is the one your ISP provided you.

DriedOrange
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DriedOrange » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:38 am

Got it! How can I change my server IP? If you want to help me out more, mind telling me important things in the server.properties file in the main server folder and what they do? I've got motd mostly figured out, my main priority is how to change the server's ip for when other people join?

Alexiy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alexiy » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:32 am

DriedOrange wrote:Got it! How can I change my server IP? If you want to help me out more, mind telling me important things in the server.properties file in the main server folder and what they do? I've got motd mostly figured out, my main priority is how to change the server's ip for when other people join?
You shouldn't change a server's IP without a strong reason, let the users use your current IP.
Regarding properties, the main ones:
difficulty: 0=peaceful, 1=easy, 2=normal, 3=hard;
gamemode: 0=survival, 1=creative;
level-type: DEFAULT - normal world, FLAT - flat world with no features, LARGEBIOMES - with large biomes, AMPLIFIED - self-explanatory
max-players: how many players can be on the server at the same time;
max-world-size: defines length of the world's border;
online-mode: set it to 'true';
player-idle-timeout: defines after what time the player is kicked out being idle, in minutes;
pvp: if 'true', players can attack each other; if 'false' they can not;
white-list: if 'true', then only players specified in whitelist file can join the server.

DriedOrange
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DriedOrange » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:52 pm

Awesome. Thank you so much! So so much! :D

Alexiy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alexiy » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:54 am

You are welcome.

DriedOrange
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DriedOrange » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:35 pm

Alright. Server's running good. Only problem: it's on 1.9.2. How do I update it so that it's on the most recent version?

Alexiy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alexiy » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:35 am

No way to really update it, you just go to their website and download new server version.
Go to minecraft.net, log in and go to 'Downloads'. There you should find a way to download it.

DriedOrange
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DriedOrange » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:42 am

I know this forum is a couple years old, but I'm revisiting it because I can't get the launcher to work anymore. I updated from 1.9.2 to 1.12.2, and the server works, except for the launcher. This is what I've got, what do I have wrong?
https://imgur.com/a/Mo0Mk

Edit: you probably can't see that low-res/blurry screenshot, oops.. Well it's a screenshot of the code I have in the file, and what's inside my server's folder. Here's the code,

Code: Select all

cd /home/driedorange/Minecraft\ server
java -Xms512M -Xmx1G -jar minecraft_server.1.12.2.jar -d64
And then as for my server's folder, it's got the minecraft_server.1.12.2.jar, the various .json, .txt, and .properties files, and 3 folders; "logs", "world", and "Triple-J." Triple-J is what 'seed' and 'level-name' I gave the server in "server.properties." Both folders "Triple-J" and "world" have the same contents as far as I can tell.

Alexiy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alexiy » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:35 am

I can see that your server is now located in folder named "Minecraft", not "Minecraft server". If that's true, you need to remove the "\ server" part in the script, so it corresponds to the new directory.

Return to “Software & Applications”