[SOLVED] downthemall has stopped downloading things

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
User avatar
jahid
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1221
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:07 pm
Location: Khulna, Bangladesh

[SOLVED] downthemall has stopped downloading things

Post by jahid » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:11 am

I have a peculiar problem, suddenly the downthemall addon (in firefox) has stopped downloading things. It doesn't download any thing at all. Browser can download but downthemall can't. When I give it any link, it doesn't start and timeout after 5mins (timeout is set to 5min).

When I say it isn't downloading anything I mean anything, even a simple html page is not downloading.

I have tried disable/enable, remove/install, firefox restart, pc reboot, but it didn't work.

Anyone have any suggestions?

P.S I can't delete cookies, they are too important.
Last edited by jahid on Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jahid@HP ProBook 440 G1 Laptop

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23
Posts: 17829
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:34 am

Re: downthemall has stopped downloading things

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:34 am

Did you try a forced download? You find it in the submen advanced at the bottom of the menu.

User avatar
jahid
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1221
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:07 pm
Location: Khulna, Bangladesh

Re: downthemall has stopped downloading things

Post by jahid » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:53 am

I have just run another instance of firefox with root privillege. It's a clean firefox with clean downthemall i.e the user related cache are different than the firefox for regular user.

This downthemall is downloading things while the other one under regular user isn't.

It became more mysterious by the minutes.

I am starting to think that there is a hidden limit of how many downloads you can make with this tool. Downthemall counts the number of downloads. After I restored the downthemall settings to its default, it said there is more than 9500 downloads and asked me if I am interested in donating.
jahid@HP ProBook 440 G1 Laptop

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23
Posts: 17829
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:34 am

Re: downthemall has stopped downloading things

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:09 am

jahid wrote:I have just run another instance of firefox with root privillege.
Please tell us the precise command for doing this.

Additionally do this:
Mark the following command and press ctrl-C

Code: Select all

find $HOME ! -user $USER -type f
open a terminal and press ctrl-shift-V
Mark the complete result inclusive the command and press ctrl-shift-C
In the forum click the Code-button above the text box, than press ctrl-v.

Report in case, that there is no output.

User avatar
jahid
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1221
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:07 pm
Location: Khulna, Bangladesh

Re: downthemall has stopped downloading things

Post by jahid » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:31 am

Cosmo. wrote:
jahid wrote:I have just run another instance of firefox with root privillege.
Please tell us the precise command for doing this.

Additionally do this:
Mark the following command and press ctrl-C

Code: Select all

find $HOME ! -user $USER -type f
open a terminal and press ctrl-shift-V
Mark the complete result inclusive the command and press ctrl-shift-C
In the forum click the Code-button above the text box, than press ctrl-v.

Report in case, that there is no output.
Command:

Code: Select all

~ >>> gksudo firefox
~ >>> 
Additionally,
That's a pretty huge list. If you could be specific about some directory inside $HOME, that would be good.
jahid@HP ProBook 440 G1 Laptop

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13
Posts: 4926
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:45 pm
Location: Norfolk UK

Re: downthemall has stopped downloading things

Post by Mute Ant » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:42 am

"That's a pretty huge list." It's just the items that have inappropriate ownership...zero (0) items on my machine.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23
Posts: 17829
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:34 am

Re: downthemall has stopped downloading things

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:50 am

jahid wrote:That's a pretty huge list. If you could be specific about some directory inside $HOME, that would be good.
No, that would be bad, as it would hide the huge number of files and folders, where you have lost the ownership of your personal data.

You have 2 choices:
Either you report it as advised; this could give us some hints, where the problems do exist. The method I told you in detail will prevent, that the huge list will clutter your post, because the output will be placed inside a code-box.

Or you apply the following command blindly. This is not bad on itself, but we will afterwards no longer be able to investigate an further.
Mark the following command completely and make sure, that you do not miss any sign, than press ctrl-C

Code: Select all

find /home/$SUDO_USER ! -user $SUDO_USER -exec chown $SUDO_USER:$SUDO_USER '{}' \;
Open a terminal and enter

Code: Select all

sudo -i
Now still in the same terminal press ctrl-shift-V
Run this command and wait until it has finished.
Press twice ctrl-d
Immediately log off and back into your account.

Test DTA.

User avatar
jahid
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1221
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:07 pm
Location: Khulna, Bangladesh

Re: downthemall has stopped downloading things

Post by jahid » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:35 am

Cosmo. wrote:This is not bad on itself, but we will afterwards no longer be able to investigate an further.
Mark the following command completely and make sure, that you do not miss any sign, than press ctrl-C

Code: Select all

find /home/$SUDO_USER ! -user $SUDO_USER -exec chown $SUDO_USER:$SUDO_USER '{}' \;
Open a terminal and enter

Code: Select all

sudo -i
Now still in the same terminal press ctrl-shift-V
Run this command and wait until it has finished.
Press twice ctrl-d
Immediately log off and back into your account.

Test DTA.
It didn't work.
jahid@HP ProBook 440 G1 Laptop

User avatar
jahid
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1221
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:07 pm
Location: Khulna, Bangladesh

Re: downthemall has stopped downloading things

Post by jahid » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:36 am

Another thing happened...

I started sync in the clean firefox in root environment. After syncing downthemall isn't downloading anymore.
jahid@HP ProBook 440 G1 Laptop

User avatar
jahid
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1221
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:07 pm
Location: Khulna, Bangladesh

Re: downthemall has stopped downloading things

Post by jahid » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:11 pm

Finally,
After updating firefox (43 to 45.0.1), it seems to work again....
jahid@HP ProBook 440 G1 Laptop

User avatar
jahid
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1221
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:07 pm
Location: Khulna, Bangladesh

Re: downthemall has stopped downloading things

Post by jahid » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:35 pm

Mute Ant wrote:"That's a pretty huge list." It's just the items that have inappropriate ownership...zero (0) items on my machine.
I think inappropriate is not a proper term. My home directory contains two customized ubuntu livecd project i.e in each of them there is a complete system with all files/directories with proper ownership. For example, the owner of root filesystem (~/myubuntu/edit) in the subsystems is root.
jahid@HP ProBook 440 G1 Laptop

Post Reply

Return to “Software & Applications”