Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
konjad
Level 4
Level 4

How to upgrade MESA?

Post by konjad »

I have a Linux Mint 17 installation since it came out around 2 years ago. I'm happy with it and I keep it updated. However, one thing bothers me and keeps it away from being a literally perfect (for me) OS - MESA drivers. They work great and all, but some new Steam linux ports have in requirements MESA 11, while mine is 10.1.3, which is pretty old by now. I don't know how to upgrade it without breaking my system. I tried various ways, including the most recommended oibaf PPA, but everything ends in something not working well (OpenGL effects in KDE or there are some graphical glitches in games, which run fine before the upgrade). I tried to upgrade both X.org and MESA too but to no avail - it resulted in similar issues. Does anybody have an idea how I could try to upgrade it without reinstalling OS? I have heavily modified OS, so I don't want to reinstall it, as it would require a lot of work to set it up the same way, and the only thing that bothers me is just that I won't be able to play M2TW and GRID linux ports with the old driver :M
Elizine
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to upgrade MESA?

Post by Elizine »

Upgrade to the latest MESA Driver with xorg-edgers PPA. This package includes Mesa 10.6.0 (unstable) or newer

Code: Select all

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
Because my ElementaryOS Freya does keep the latest package back, i guess you also have to force the upgrade:

sudo apt-get upgrade libegl1-mesa libgbm1 libgl1-mesa-dri libva1
And reboot.
With the package "GLX Info" you can check, which mesa version is installed:

sudo apt-get install mesa-utils
glxinfo | grep "OpenGL version"
richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

Suggestion; search the linux kernels to see which kernel version contains the wanted mesa version. You may just need to upgrade your kernel through Mint's Update manager.
You can also check the level 4 or 5 updates in the Update Manager to see if there is one already available.
konjad
Level 4
Level 4

Post by konjad »

@Elizine

Thanks for your help, however, while this way results in my MESA being upgraded to 11.0.4 and there is no issues with my desktop afterwards, games that run fullscreen just show a black background and nothing can be seen (but I hear sounds and that I can "click" menus).

Return to “Software & Applications”