Thunderbird won't open on fresh install of Mint 17.3 (SOLVED)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
EdQld
Level 2
Level 2

Thunderbird won't open on fresh install of Mint 17.3 (SOLVED)

Post by EdQld »

I just did a fresh dual boot install of Mint 17.3 Mate 64Bit, on a HP Omni AIO PC running Win7 64Bit and Thunderbird won't open, initially you get the circling icon which then just stops without opening TB.

Other programs including Firefox, all seem to work OK and Thunderbird works OK on another HP PC, also with Mint 17.3 :?:

I uninstalled and then reinstalled TB without any luck

I'm hoping this is a known problem with an easy solution
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Thunderbird won't open on fresh install of Mint 17.3

Post by Cosmo. »

Open a terminal and launch thunderbird from there. What messages to you get?

Generally we need to know also your desktop environment. If you don't know open a terminal and enter:

Code: Select all

inxi -Sz
Paste the output here.
EdQld
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Thunderbird won't open on fresh install of Mint 17.3

Post by EdQld »

Typing Thunderbird in Terminal got this response:

(process:3965): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed

(thunderbird:3965): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::sm-connect after class was initialised

(thunderbird:3965): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::show-crash-dialog after class was initialised

(thunderbird:3965): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::display after class was initialised

(thunderbird:3965): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::default-icon after class was initialised
Could not create gnome accelerators directory `/home/eddy/.gnome2/accels': Permission denied

And typing inxi -sz got this response:

System: Host: HP-Omni-27-1010a Kernel: 3.19.0-32-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: MATE 1.12.0 Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
EdQld
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Thunderbird won't open on fresh install of Mint 17.3 (SOLVED)

Post by EdQld »

With further Googling research I came across a Firefox problem which also had a permission issue that was solved by giving “Permission” to all Files in the Home Directory and sure enough it solved my Thunderbird problem:

sudo chown -R eddy:eddy /home/eddy

Thanks for your help guys, led me to the right solution :-)
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Such permission problems have a reason: near to always you made the mistake to launched graphical programs via sudo.

General rule and without any exception: Never start any graphical with sudo! If privileged permissions are needed, you have to use gksudo.

Besides that: Running such programs like Thunderbird or Firefox with elevated rights is not an appropriate way to solve any problem, but it creates additional and critical security risks. Elevated rights are not a Swiss universal army knife to solve problems.
EdQld
Level 2
Level 2

Post by EdQld »

"Running such programs like Thunderbird or Firefox with elevated rights is not an appropriate way to solve any problem"

That may well be true, but it was the only way I could find to get TB to run! No other methods were suggested :?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Mh, the last thread by you about TB I am able to find is more than 3 years ago.
On the positive site, you now know how to correct such problem and you know, what you have to avoid to prevent new problems.

Return to “Software & Applications”