Loading Kernel

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jkohl613

Loading Kernel

Post by jkohl613 »

Hello,

Hopefully someone can help me. I previously posted this in the hardware section since my track pad is not working. Well one user helped me a lot but it is still not working. One solution we both found was to update my kernel to anything above 4.3, so I went to the update manager > view > kernels and clicked on the only one available above 4.3 which is 4.4.0-21 and I hit install, now it installed it but it does not load that one it still loads the previous one. I have read through countless forms and how tos on updating the kernel and it usually requires you to go to the linux kernel archives website but I already have a kernel downloaded through the update manager and I can't find any how to that uses Mint's update manager, can someone help me get grub to load the new kernel I already have downloaded to my computer through the update manager? I can click esc key on start up and access a command line grub menu. I found a command for the grub 2 command line prompt on updating the kernel:

kernel </path/to/kernel> <option-1> <option-N> ... — Specifies the kernel file to load when booting the operating system. Replace </path/to/kernel> with an absolute path from the partition specified by the root command. Replace <option-1> with options for the Linux kernel, such as root=/dev/hda5 to specify the device on which the root partition for the system is located. Multiple options can be passed to the kernel in a space separated list.

The following is an example kernel command:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.21 root=/dev/hda5

But I do not know the path to the new kernel, or if I need anything for the <option-1> part.

Check out my previous thread here: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=221511&p=1163941#p1163941

Thank you for any help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jkohl613

Re: Loading Kernel

Post by jkohl613 »

Update: further research lead me to this site: https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... el-updates
It claims once you click on a newer kernel and install it once you reboot your computer it will use that one, but I have restarted my computer several times since downloading it and it still marks the older kernel as the one that is loaded, proof of this I ran uname -a:

johnathan@johnathan-Lenovo-S21e-20 ~ $ uname -a
Linux johnathan-Lenovo-S21e-20 3.19.0-32-generic #37~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Thu Oct 22 09:41:40 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

It is still loading 3.19.0-32 although I have 4.4.0-21 installed, I'm going to try uninstalling 4.4 and reinstalling it.
jkohl613

Post by jkohl613 »

Alright, I uninstalled the 4.4 kernel and restarted my system then reinstalled 4.4 and it says it installed successfully. Maybe the log from the installation will tell someone better than I at why it may not actually be working:

(synaptic:2282): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_child_watch_add_full: assertion 'pid > 0' failed
Selecting previously unselected package linux-headers-4.4.0-21.
(Reading database ... 169692 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../linux-headers-4.4.0-21_4.4.0-21.37~14.04.1_all.deb ...
Unpacking linux-headers-4.4.0-21 (4.4.0-21.37~14.04.1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package linux-headers-4.4.0-21-generic.
Preparing to unpack .../linux-headers-4.4.0-21-generic_4.4.0-21.37~14.04.1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking linux-headers-4.4.0-21-generic (4.4.0-21.37~14.04.1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package linux-image-4.4.0-21-generic.
Preparing to unpack .../linux-image-4.4.0-21-generic_4.4.0-21.37~14.04.1_amd64.deb ...
Done.
Unpacking linux-image-4.4.0-21-generic (4.4.0-21.37~14.04.1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package linux-image-extra-4.4.0-21-generic.
Preparing to unpack .../linux-image-extra-4.4.0-21-generic_4.4.0-21.37~14.04.1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking linux-image-extra-4.4.0-21-generic (4.4.0-21.37~14.04.1) ...
Setting up linux-headers-4.4.0-21 (4.4.0-21.37~14.04.1) ...
Setting up linux-headers-4.4.0-21-generic (4.4.0-21.37~14.04.1) ...
Examining /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d/dkms 4.4.0-21-generic /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-21-generic
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 4.4.0-21-generic (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/ndiswrapper/1.59/build/make.log for more information.
Error! Module version 5.0.4_LinuxMint for vboxguest.ko
is not newer than what is already found in kernel 4.4.0-21-generic (5.0.16_Ubuntu).
You may override by specifying --force.
Error! Module version 5.0.4_LinuxMint for vboxsf.ko
is not newer than what is already found in kernel 4.4.0-21-generic (5.0.16_Ubuntu).
Error! Module version 5.0.4_LinuxMint for vboxvideo.ko
Setting up linux-image-4.4.0-21-generic (4.4.0-21.37~14.04.1) ...
Running depmod.
update-initramfs: deferring update (hook will be called later)
Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal 4.4.0-21-generic /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-21-generic
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms 4.4.0-21-generic /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-21-generic
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 4.4.0-21-generic /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-21-generic
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.4.0-21-generic
Warning: No support for locale: en_US.utf8
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/pm-utils 4.4.0-21-generic /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-21-generic
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-update-grub 4.4.0-21-generic /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-21-generic
Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
Searching for default file ... found: /boot/grub/default
Testing for an existing GRUB menu.lst file ... found: /boot/grub/menu.lst
Searching for splash image ... none found, skipping ...
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-21-generic
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-3.19.0-32-generic
Found kernel: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Replacing config file /run/grub/menu.lst with new version
Updating /boot/grub/menu.lst ... done

Setting up linux-image-extra-4.4.0-21-generic (4.4.0-21.37~14.04.1) ...
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal 4.4.0-21-generic /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-21-generic
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms 4.4.0-21-generic /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-21-generic
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 4.4.0-21-generic /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-21-generic
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.4.0-21-generic
Warning: No support for locale: en_US.utf8
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/pm-utils 4.4.0-21-generic /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-21-generic
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-update-grub 4.4.0-21-generic /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-21-generic
Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
Searching for default file ... found: /boot/grub/default
Testing for an existing GRUB menu.lst file ... found: /boot/grub/menu.lst
Searching for splash image ... none found, skipping ...
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-21-generic
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-3.19.0-32-generic
Found kernel: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Updating /boot/grub/menu.lst ... done

I honestly don't understand most of this, I only have a mid-level understanding of Linux, I will try restarting my system again and see if it uses the new 4.4 kernel I just reinstalled.
jkohl613

Post by jkohl613 »

Update: restarting computer did not work, the update manager still says I am using the 3.19 kernel not the 4.4 one I had just installed. Any help with this would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
jkohl613

Post by jkohl613 »

Reading through the output of the installation and trying to understand it I see it gives "Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 4.4.0-21-generic (x86_64) Consult /var/lib/dkms/ndiswrapper/1.59/build/make.log for more information." so I went to the log and this is what it says:

DKMS make.log for ndiswrapper-1.59 for kernel 4.4.0-21-generic (x86_64)
Fri May 6 14:13:17 EDT 2016
make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-4.4.0-21-generic'
LD /var/lib/dkms/ndiswrapper/1.59/build/built-in.o
MKEXPORT /var/lib/dkms/ndiswrapper/1.59/build/crt_exports.h
MKEXPORT /var/lib/dkms/ndiswrapper/1.59/build/hal_exports.h
MKEXPORT /var/lib/dkms/ndiswrapper/1.59/build/ndis_exports.h
MKEXPORT /var/lib/dkms/ndiswrapper/1.59/build/ntoskernel_exports.h
MKEXPORT /var/lib/dkms/ndiswrapper/1.59/build/ntoskernel_io_exports.h
MKEXPORT /var/lib/dkms/ndiswrapper/1.59/build/rtl_exports.h
MKEXPORT /var/lib/dkms/ndiswrapper/1.59/build/usb_exports.h
MKSTUBS /var/lib/dkms/ndiswrapper/1.59/build/win2lin_stubs.h
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/ndiswrapper/1.59/build/crt.o
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/ndiswrapper/1.59/build/hal.o
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/ndiswrapper/1.59/build/iw_ndis.o
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/ndiswrapper/1.59/build/loader.o
/var/lib/dkms/ndiswrapper/1.59/build/loader.c: In function ‘load_sys_files’:
/var/lib/dkms/ndiswrapper/1.59/build/loader.c:157:4: error: implicit declaration of function ‘__vmalloc’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
__vmalloc(load_driver->sys_files.size,
^
/var/lib/dkms/ndiswrapper/1.59/build/loader.c:156:19: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast [enabled by default]
pe_image->image =
^
/var/lib/dkms/ndiswrapper/1.59/build/loader.c:207:5: error: implicit declaration of function ‘vfree’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
vfree(driver->pe_images.image);
^
/var/lib/dkms/ndiswrapper/1.59/build/loader.c: In function ‘add_bin_file’:
/var/lib/dkms/ndiswrapper/1.59/build/loader.c:298:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘vmalloc’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
bin_file->data = vmalloc(driver_file->size);
^
/var/lib/dkms/ndiswrapper/1.59/build/loader.c:298:17: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast [enabled by default]
bin_file->data = vmalloc(driver_file->size);
^
/var/lib/dkms/ndiswrapper/1.59/build/loader.c: In function ‘wrapper_ioctl’:
/var/lib/dkms/ndiswrapper/1.59/build/loader.c:789:15: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast [enabled by default]
load_driver = vmalloc(sizeof(*load_driver));
^
/var/lib/dkms/ndiswrapper/1.59/build/loader.c: In function ‘wrapper_ioctl_compat’:
/var/lib/dkms/ndiswrapper/1.59/build/loader.c:884:11: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast [enabled by default]
kdriver = vmalloc(sizeof(*kdriver));
^
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
make[1]: *** [/var/lib/dkms/ndiswrapper/1.59/build/loader.o] Error 1
make: *** [_module_/var/lib/dkms/ndiswrapper/1.59/build] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-4.4.0-21-generic'

Maybe this will help, from looking at what follows it looks like it is saying that 4.4 is not newer than than this module version 5.0.4_LinuxMint and it says I could override each error by specifying --force
This is getting beyond my knowledge level but I am learning a lot through this, maybe someone can help?
nanulph

Post by nanulph »

Same problem!
Post back if you find a solution.

I've tried

Code: Select all

update-grub2
grub-install /dev/sda
It didn't work, but I think that's what I did the last time I changed kernels.

I don't quite remember how it is, and i hate tinkering with the master boot record, because I mess up GRUB every time.
marlenejo

Post by marlenejo »

Ok normally that's so simple with the software updater. You don't have to get kernel anywhere else. Once updated, it will use it on reboot. If you boot and select advanced boot options, do you see your new kernel and can select it ?
I use "grub customiser" on my parent OS which let you see graphically and modify easily the boot loader.
Are you using a multi boot system ? I found that if another distro is install before, it will protect the loader from modification from subsequent other install.
Barca
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Barca »

Why is this thread dead? I finally found the exact problem that I am experiencing and it stops midway towards a solution. Did anybody out there find a solution to this problem?
Thanks!
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Did you ever use the horrible tool Grub Customizer? That might account for weird behaviour of your Grub:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... Customizer
(item 7, right column)

If not, the usual cause of this behaviour is a multiboot system with at least one other Linux. That other Linux might contain the dominant Grub menu. Solution: in that other Linux, update your Grub.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Barca
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Barca »

Thanks Pjotr.
I'll give it a try. There's no double boot, so let's see if this works.
Barca
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Barca »

Hi Pjotr,

Rereading your post, I see you didn't advise me to use it, but merely asked if I ever did. Answer: no. I don't even know what a Grub is, let alone how and why to customize it.

Any other thoughts on how to make my touchpad work? Anyone? I can't be the only one with this problem. I saw several other posts on and outside this forum, but never a solution.

Thanks.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Barca wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:41 pm Any other thoughts on how to make my touchpad work? Anyone?
Please start a new thread, it will get more attention especially if you give good information and use a descriptive title.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”