Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
serpentracer
Level 1
Level 1

I can't review software

Post by serpentracer » Mon May 16, 2016 5:11 pm

hi. name is Randy. very new to linux so go easy on me with technical details :lol:

so my issus is, I cannot leave reviews to software inside the software manager. I assume I needed to create a profile on the linux community site so I did. however, I can log in to the community site and leave a review there just fine. but my problem is I still cannot leave reviews in the software manager. I get an error that my username is invalid. I am using the same username and password. I assume this is how it works? how do I get this fixed?
I would rather use the software manager because it's easier and already open. and also not all of the packages in the software manager are on the community site to review. I

phd21
Level 16
Level 16

Re: I can't review software

Post by phd21 » Mon May 16, 2016 6:44 pm

Hi Randy "serpentracer",

Shows you joined this forum in 2012 and you are new to Linux?

Not sure what you are trying to accomplish here. If you are trying to write a review on software in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM), you will have to contact those developers and leave reviews and or comments with them; some have their own websites and or forums, where you can also leave reviews and or comments.

You can also leave reviews and or comments in this forum in the appropriate forum for whatever software you find in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM).

As far as I know (AFAIK), there is no way to leave a review in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM). I would like to see an option in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) for tagging software that I would like to try, or to install at a future time, or that I have tried and don't like (do not install this, warning flag tag).

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.3, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Pierre
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Pierre » Mon May 16, 2016 10:06 pm

when using the Software Manager:
- click on the item to be installed
or if you have installed it & wish to review it:
under the reviews section - give it a star rating & a comment of your thoughts,
then click on submit.

If you get an error message:
"Your username is incorrect. To change it, click on the 'Edit' menu and select 'Account information'."
then that means that you need to correct your account or password - on the Community Site:
https://community.linuxmint.com/

you may have to check or change your password - if you have not logged in recently,
due to the recent hacking issues.

Note:- unlike this Forum - you can't supply your own password,
you have to use the one supplied by the community site robot .. ..
- click on the 'forgot password' for it to eMail that new one - to you.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

serpentracer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by serpentracer » Fri May 20, 2016 6:48 pm

Pierre wrote:when using the Software Manager:
- click on the item to be installed
or if you have installed it & wish to review it:
under the reviews section - give it a star rating & a comment of your thoughts,
then click on submit.

If you get an error message:
"Your username is incorrect. To change it, click on the 'Edit' menu and select 'Account information'."
then that means that you need to correct your account or password - on the Community Site:
https://community.linuxmint.com/

you may have to check or change your password - if you have not logged in recently,
due to the recent hacking issues.

Note:- unlike this Forum - you can't supply your own password,
you have to use the one supplied by the community site robot .. ..
- click on the 'forgot password' for it to eMail that new one - to you.

thank you both for taking the time to respond. Pierre, I have done all of the steps you outlined. signed up to the community site and all prior to making this post. surely I can't be the only person with this issue.

edit...I also just tried the password reset but i still get the invalid username error.

Oscar799
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Oscar799 » Sat May 21, 2016 4:54 am

I may be able to fix this for you (I say may because Clem changed my permissions on there and I haven't had a chance to test them fully yet)
I need the username you registered on the Community Site to locate your account

serpentracer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by serpentracer » Sat May 28, 2016 2:43 pm

Oscar799 wrote:I may be able to fix this for you (I say may because Clem changed my permissions on there and I haven't had a chance to test them fully yet)
I need the username you registered on the Community Site to locate your account
sent you a PM. thanks! fingers crossed :)

linuxeffect
Level 1
Level 1

I cannot review software via the mint community website

Post by linuxeffect » Sat May 28, 2016 11:12 pm

Same problem here.

I cannot leave a review for any programs via the software manager or via the mint community site. If I attempt to review via the software manager (I have tested using both mate and cinnamon), I get an 'invalid username' pop up. Nothing happens if I enter the correct details. If I use the community site, after logging in, I get a site error - 'Sucuri CloudProxy - Backend Server timeout Error Code: HTTP 504 Server ID: cp13009'.

Is my user account correct, if any admin can check? The username is the same as the one used on this forum. My system username is different. If this is not the problem, then perhaps the website is, but current community activity shows there are still new reviews going up, and I have had the problem for a long time. I can edit a review, just not create any. Thanks.

Pierre
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Pierre » Sun May 29, 2016 10:22 am

@linuxeffect - if you can edit a review - did you create the original review,
or are you editing another persons review ?
- even though you can't create a new review.

it's an issue that also affects myself, and has been raised before,
& is in hand with the Admin, at the moment.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

linuxeffect
Level 1
Level 1

Post by linuxeffect » Sun May 29, 2016 5:40 pm

yes it is my own review :) - my only successful review, from many months back. I do not remember if I originally added it via the software manager or the community website. I edited my old review the other day using the community website just to test. It was successful (editing still works now), but it is all I can do. Editing my reviews via the mint 'software manager' however gives me the same 'invalid username' pop up error as attempting to add a review within it. My review is not added this way.

I do not think it's possible to edit other user reviews (at least, not as non-admin). Given the site based error, and the software manager 'username invalid' error using two different editions of mint, it does sound like the issue could be more of a community website problem, but that is just me guessing.

This might not be related, but I could not help but notice that if start Software Manager, click on 'Edit > Account Information', and then click on the community website link, my browser (palemoon) starts up, but with a new reset profile with all my passwords and bookmarks missing. I don't know how to make the Software Manager's community link start up the default browser profile, but as reviews are not adding for me at the moment, it is not so much of an issue.

I have noticed one screenshot for the program 'out-of-order' within the software manager is incorrect - if any admin can delete it

Thanks

linuxeffect
Level 1
Level 1

Post by linuxeffect » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:55 pm

update - regarding the errors on the mint community site (the backend timeout also happens whilst trying to browse it casually)
https://kb.sucuri.net/cloudproxy/Troubl ... nd-timeout

ameriviking63
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ameriviking63 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:26 pm

I ran across this post noticing it was newer than the last time I searched the problem. Was it ever resolved?

I've been using Linux Mint 17.2/17.3 Cinnamon & KDE for a year now and I've never been able to leave reviews on Software Manager. I always get that same error message. And I've tried everything suggested here, except contacting the SM team. I wonder how many other people run into this and just don't bother resolving it (like me)? Seems like it should be a simple thing -- if a special registration is required why doesn't SM ask for it, or at least offer a clue which to use?

Because of these forums and the great info shared by Linux users, I have never encountered a problem I couldn't fix (even those I made myself!)... except for this one from day one. It doesn't keep me awake at night, but I am curious. :?
-ameriviking

Dell Inspirion
Core Duo 2.4GHz / 4GB RAM
Linux Mint 17.3 KDE & Vista (lol!)

Custom Build
P4 3.2GHz / 4GB RAM
Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon

Dirkoir
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Dirkoir » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:44 pm

ameriviking63 wrote:I ran across this post noticing it was newer than the last time I searched the problem. Was it ever resolved?
Sadly not.
ameriviking63 wrote:I've been using Linux Mint 17.2/17.3 Cinnamon & KDE for a year now and I've never been able to leave reviews on Software Manager. I always get that same error message. And I've tried everything suggested here, except contacting the SM team. I wonder how many other people run into this and just don't bother resolving it (like me)?
Same here. Over two years now. Mint 17 Qiana Cinnamon 64-bit
ameriviking63 wrote:Because of these forums and the great info shared by Linux users, I have never encountered a problem I couldn't fix (even those I made myself!)... except for this one from day one. It doesn't keep me awake at night, but I am curious. :?
Almost the same here. (there are one or two other problems)

This seems to be a bug the developer just doesn't care to fix or never hears about (or maybe can't figure out as in can't replicate). I have been able to comment on the community website, but Software Manager always treats me as a false credentials user. I just reset my password and tried both my community name and email as username. No use. Always the same error message. Perhaps we could give these kinds of bugs a name of their own: Orphan Mint Bugs? -- On the community site I saw some people commenting it works for them. Weird. I swear I entered the correct credentials (even copied and pasted them from Firefox where they worked).
______
Linux Mint 17 Qiana Cinnamon 64-bit

Return to “Software & Applications”