Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
TheRzaRector
Level 1
Level 1

Clock not in Panel, Buici

Postby TheRzaRector » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:41 pm

Hello All,

I am trying to figure out how to get a clock that is not in the panel. I am running Felicia, and I have set up AWN in addition to the gnome panel. I want to keep both hidden unless I absolutely need them. This gives me a lot more screenspace on my laptop. However, the one downside is that I can't just glance to the corner to check the time. That's the only thing I really feel like I'm missing.

What I want can be seen in the attachment. In it, I'm using buici-clock, but that has a bunch of its own problems:

1. I don't know how to set up Buici so that it opens on startup. Further, upon startup, Buici would need to always be on top and always on the visible workspace. I certainly don't know how to set that up.

2. I can't figure out how to make it so that buici-clock doesn't have a full window around it. The window around it is ugly.

3. Most importantly, I've found that when I switch workspaces (or desktops or viewports), Buici is always the active window. So, if I'm switching back and forth between workspaces, I always have to perform a few extra <Alt><Tab>s. This is, for me, unacceptable.

So, should I just scrap the idea? Is there something out there that does what I want better than Buici? Is it possible to fix Buici and make it work for me? Any help would be much appreciated!

pic.jpg

garda
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Clock not in Panel, Buici

Postby garda » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:37 pm

You might want to give Screenlets a whirl instead. It is a desktop widget software, akin to Yahoo! Widgets or Google Gadgets, and allows you set different style for every object in each workspace. Or, as I prefer more, turn on the Widget Layer plugin in Compiz then mark each Screelets object as widget so that they can be brought up by pressing a key combination. Screenlets is available in the standard repository, so it should be listed in Synaptic.

TheRzaRector
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Clock not in Panel, Buici

Postby TheRzaRector » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:32 pm

The Screenlets clock is perfect. Thanks for the suggestion!

Return to “Software & Applications”