Thunar file manager - how to show MP3 tag info?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
br1anstorm
Level 4
Level 4

Thunar file manager - how to show MP3 tag info?

Post by br1anstorm » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:22 pm

I am using Linux Mint 17.3 "Rosa" XFCE edition. The file manager is Thunar.

By default, it seems that the Thunar file manager only displays four columns when in "Detailed List" view. Those columns are Name - Size - Type - Date modified.

Under the View>Configure Columns dropdown menu, there are options to add, or show, five more columns: Date Accessed - Owner - Permissions - MIME type - Group.

I would like to have columns, in the listing of my MP3 music tracks, which list and allow sorting by not only the (track) Name, but which also show Artist - Album - Year (and other such information contained in the MP3 tags, which might include bit-rate, genre or track number).

This information is visible by right-clicking on any individual file/track and looking at Properties>Audio. But it is tedious to do this track-by-track.

Is there a plugin, or another simple way of getting Thunar to display some - or all - of this tag information (Artist and Album would be enough for me) in the standard display-listing of a folder's contents?

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Thunar file manager - how to show MP3 tag info?

Post by richyrich » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:07 pm

Google up on "Thunar custom actions" , you can access it through Menu > Edit.

Here is just one from Google:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Thuna ... Media_File

br1anstorm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by br1anstorm » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:29 pm

Thanks richyrich. I had done some googling, and found one or two bits of advice (but several seemed to refer to other file managers like Nautilus and Caja). I hadn't seen the one which you kindly linked to. Needs command line instructions, and a couple of (extra?) packages - ffmpeg and zenity - but it doesn't look too difficult. I'll give it a go!

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:32 pm

You don't have to use Thunar. Puddletag is a great program for managing metadata.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install puddletag
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

phd21
Level 17
Level 17

Post by phd21 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:49 pm

Hi "br1anstorm",

I am not sure this plug-in will help you or not, but it looks nice. And, if I were using Xfce & Thunar, I would install this.

thunar-media-tags-plugin
http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/media-tags

Xfce Power User Tips, Tricks & Tweaks: Multimedia Files
http://pclosmag.com/html/Issues/201305/page09.html
View info about media files (near the bottom)
Sometimes, you run across a multimedia file (audio or video) that is ... shall we say ... problematic. Looking inside the file can sometimes give us clues as to why the file is giving us problems. phd21, "Or, you just want more information". The next Thunar Custom Action does exactly that.

For this (create) custom action, you will need to install mediainfo from the PCLinuxOS repository. Mediainfo is a command line utility that is specifically written to extract all the data flags that are stored inside a multimedia file...

Create your new Thunar Custom Action. Enter a name and a description for it. I entered "Media Info" as the name, and "View information about the selected audio or video files" as the description.

In the "Command" field, enter the following:
mediainfo %N | zenity --text-info --title="Media Info" --width=400 --height=250

This will run mediainfo on the selected files, and display the information in a zenity dialog box on your screen. Select an icon for your new custom action. Under the "Appearance Conditions" tab, leave the "File pattern" selection at the default "*" setting, and make sure both "Audio files" and "Video files" are checked. Now, whenever you select "Media Info" from Thunar's right click context menu, you will see something similar to the following displayed on your computer screen.

All of the available information for all of the selected media files is displayed in the window, one file after another.
You might also consider installing these, if you have not done this already:
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras mediainfo mediainfo-gui flac wavpack mp3info cuetools shntool

You might also look at "kid3-qt" or "kid3" in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)

FYI: some info on how to update mp3 tag info from command line
http://www.webupd8.org/2009/04/split-ap ... u-and.html

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

br1anstorm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by br1anstorm » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:31 pm

Thanks to both austin.texas (hi - how are you doing!) and to phd21. Slight risk of information overload and multiple options now.....

All that advice is useful, but I suspect is beginning to answer questions I had not asked and offer facilities I may not need.

Just to explain: all the audio and video tracks I currently have on my computer already have detailed metadata/tags written into them. In most cases this was done back in the old days when I used Windows, with a good little program called mp3tag. I did look at puddletag, which seems to do the same job as mp3tag in a Linux system, so I noted that for the future.

Thunar does seem to have the capability to edit the basic details of music tracks (such as Artist name, or Album) by right clicking a track and going to Properties>Audio. [EDIT: I have just checked - this is because it turns out I already have the thunar-media-tags-plugin].

What I don't want is a new or floating popup window (zenity???) which reveals the details of a track if I float the mouse over its listing in Thunar.

What I would like, if it's not too difficult, is for the "list view" in Thunar to have two or three more columns - for Artist, Album, and maybe Year or Bitrate - so that these extra elements of information (which are already there as tags/metadata) can be seen, for all tracks, in Thunar's list view when I open it. I'm not yet sure that any of the custom options so far identified will deliver that.

DancingRhino
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DancingRhino » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:33 pm

Hi br1anstorm,
Did you manage to solve this problem?
Cheers

br1anstorm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by br1anstorm » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:28 pm

Hi there DancingRhino...

To answer your question in a single word..... no!

As explained in the earlier posts in this thread, my need was not to insert additional tags on to the individual music tracks or files - something which I now do routinely using the excellent "Puddletag" program.

What I wanted was for Thunar, the file manager in my Mint 17.3 XFCE, to display some of that information in additional columns in the list-view on the File Manager screen. By default it displays only four columns: Filename, Size, Type (mp3, wav, whatever) and Date Modified.

If there is an easy GUI way to add or specify additional columns, I haven't found it. I imagine there is some way to write code in the terminal to modify the way Thunar displays its columns and info, but quite frankly I decided in the end that messing with the configuration of Thunar was more trouble than it was worth....

Return to “Software & Applications”