Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
borgward
Level 5
Level 5

Browser Suggestions

Post by borgward »

I am now running old 32bit single core computer with 17.3 mate.I tried Cinnamon 17.3 but only ran in rendering mode. Mate runs pretty well. Firefox 46.0 behaves ok. Just a bit slow on some pages. I unchecked auto scrolling, smoothe scrolling and hardware acceleration. Even runs YouTube. I did all the updates except Firefox to 47.0. I am considering Midori. (I don't really expect to run YouTube) Any other graphical browser to consider? Better video card?

ASUS A7N8X-X mobo
AMD Athlon AXDA 3200 DK4VE 2.2G hz
2 GB DDR PC3200 400MHz
Raedon 7000 AGP
Last edited by borgward on Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Browser Suggestions

Post by Fred Barclay »

If you like Firefox, I'd recommend Pale Moon. It's based on an older version of Firefox (though by this point it's standing on it's on (figurative) two feet) and is quite a bit faster than Firefox on older, underpowered machines like yours and mine.

It's simple to install, but if you need help I'll be happy to walk you through it. :)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi "borgward",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

In the post link below are instructions for installing the newer version of the "Opera" browser which works well even on older less powerful computers, like mine. There is some other good information that you might find useful too.

can i save video as it downloads?
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=223304

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 2 in 1, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics. I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

borgward
Level 5
Level 5

Post by borgward »

Where's the link? I saw the one for saving video as it's downloaded (you can do that w/VLC) and the one about KDE

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi "borgward",

The information below is from the link my previous reply, if you clicked the link and read it...
As I already stated, to install the newer version of Opera, you should remove completely the older Opera 12, if it is installed. Then, you go to Opera's website to download their new version in the easy to install ".deb" file 32 or 64 bit.

You can check to see if Opera 12 is installed, and or to remove it completely, by going to the Synaptic Package Manager (SPM), searching for Opera, right click it, select "remove completely", click "apply", & exit this. Or, by typing in the command below form a console terminal prompt:

sudo apt-get purge opera

Then, click link below, click the "Download Now" button on the left for Windows, Mac, or Linux. Save the file somewhere like your "/Downloads" folder, and double click that file to install it, if it does not start installing automatically.
https://www.opera.com/download

There are a lot of really great add-ons for Opera as well, that you might want to install.
*** "Download Chrome Extension" *** - allows you to install and use Chrome extensions in Opera.
Fireshot, Hoxx VPN, or DotVPN, HTTPS everywhere, Privacy Protect Plus, Google Translate, Translator, V7 Tabs, V7 Stash, V7 Sessions, Google Hangouts, Amazon Assistant, Shortcuts for Google, FastestTube, Easy Youtube Video Downloader, etc... I recommend restarting Opera after installing the add-ons (extensions). If you already have a system wide VPN provider, like the excellent, low cost, "Private Internet Access (PIA)", then you do not need to install the Browser proxy VPN's unless you want to double up on your security and privacy. DotVPN, and Hoxx VPN are really great and easy to use browser VPN's.
Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 2 in 1, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics. I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Duveltje
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Duveltje »

I use Chromium, but if you prefer firefox, you can speed it up a bit:
lick the Firefox menu button (3 dashes, right on top of the screen) - click "Preferences" -

Tab Privacy
- Item Tracking: change to: "Tell sites that I do not want to be tracked"
- Item History: change to: "Firefox will: Use custom settings for history"
- Item Cookies: change to: "Keep until: I close Firefox"
- Select the setting: "Clear history when Firefox closes"
- Finally"Settings..." select all but Saved Passwords, Site Preferences and if you like cookies.

Tab Security
Deselect "Block reported attack site" and "Block reported web forgeries". You hardly ever visit such sites and your firewall and if you have antivrus pretect you.

Tab Advanced
Subtab General: Select "Use hardeware acceleration when available".
Subtab Data Choices: Deselect both possibilities
Subtab Network: Vink "Override automatic cache management, change it to 32 MB. Push button "Clear now".

Type about:counfig as url.
You get a warning which you neglect.
Enter the following values in the search bar and change them at your own risk, In my case everything worked well:
network.http.pipelining.maxrequests change to 32
browser.display.show_image_placeholders false
network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-server 20
browser.safebrowsing.enabled false
browser.safebrowsing.malware.enabled false
browser.cache.memory.enable true
browser.cache.disk.capacity 1048576
browser.formfill.expire_days 1
network.http.pipelining true
network.http.pipelining.aggressive true
network.http.pipelining.ssl true
network.http.proxy.pipelining true
network.prefetch-next false
browser.newtab.url change to a page you like in a new tab.
browser.sessionstore.intervalchange to 45000
browser.tabs.animate false
Consider what you see here: https://gist.github.com/dinh/8656a7783307ed7ee1ba partly double for what I described before.

After all this:
Empty the search bar.
Right click on the bar beneath the search bar.
Select New integer entry. Give this the name: nglayout.initialpaint.delay and give it the value 0.
This accelerates the loading time.
In the same way create the integer entr withe name: browser.cache.memory.capacity as value you choose:
2048 if you have 128MB RAM hebt, 4096 if you have 256MB RAM, 8192 if you have 512MB of RAM and 12288 if you have 1GB or more RAM

Sometimes hardware accelaration doesn't work. This is fixed by doing:
In about:config
layers.acceleration.force-enabled true
layers.offmainthreadcomposition.enabled true

Open a shel with crtl-alt-t and execute the command "export MOZ_USE_OMTC=1" without the quotes.
Just to be sure restart your computer.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

borgward wrote:Firefox 46.0 behaves ok. ... I did all the updates except Firefox to 47.0.
Definitely the worst choice, as you preserve the known security leaks with the old version.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Duveltje wrote:lick the Firefox menu button
:shock:
*tea through the nose and all over the keyboard*
:lol:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

borgward
Level 5
Level 5

Post by borgward »

Cosmo. wrote:
borgward wrote:Firefox 46.0 behaves ok. ... I did all the updates except Firefox to 47.0.
Definitely the worst choice, as you preserve the known security leaks with the old version.
How to revert to 46.0 if 47 grinds to a halt. What security leaks were in 46.0? How to determine if update is for security reasons or to just add more stuff that bogs a system down?

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

Duveltje wrote:I use Chromium, but if you prefer firefox, you can speed it up a bit:
Way to scare people off.
This is WAY too excessive, IMO.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

borgward wrote:How to revert to 46.0 if 47 grinds to a halt.
Not recommended. Pick another browser instead.
borgward wrote:What security leaks were in 46.0? How to determine if update is for security reasons or to just add more stuff that bogs a system down?
Read the release notes.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

borgward wrote:How to revert to 46.0 if 47 grinds to a halt.
Do you mean how to apply what I just called the worst choice? You don't expect really an answer, do you?
Such problems are mostly related to a problem with the FF-profile.
To find this out do the following:
Close FF.
Open your file-manager and make hidden files visible (press ctrl-h).
Rename the folder .mozilla to .mozilla.bck
Start FF, this will create automatically a new FF-profile.
Check.

To get back to your old profile:
Close FF.
Delete the new folder .mozilla
Rename the folder .mozila.bck back to .mozilla
Start FF. Done.
borgward wrote:What security leaks were in 46.0?
More than a dozen (one of them only Windows-related) inclusive a potential buffer-overflow (one of the most dangerous leaks).

mivat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mivat »

Chromium from repositories is always at least one version behind the last stable chrome version (not really desired for a browser).
Get the latest firefox or chrome in my opinion.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

mivat wrote:Get the latest ... chrome in my opinion.
Not available for 32 bit; that is the case for the OP.

Return to “Software & Applications”