What is your favorite filemanager

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jjott

What is your favorite filemanager

Post by jjott »

I am running LinuxMint 17.3 Cinnamon. What Filemanager would best be suited and why.
I would appreciate some recommendations from experienced users.
John
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: What is your favorite filemanager

Post by jimallyn »

I'm not picky. Whatever comes with Cinnamon - Nemo? - is fine by me.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
wong

Post by wong »

Ranger is by far my favourite file manager. The default, Caja I think, is pretty nice too. Pcmanfm might be worth a look.

*Edit*: Doh, Caja is Mate, is there something you are wanting that Nemo does not provide?
ccoyle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ccoyle »

I have always used a two pane file manager, going back to Qfiler with DOS. I still use Total Commander on my office Windows machine. Since coming over to Linux, I've tried a few and settled on Krusader. Nothing beats Total Commander, IMO, but Krusader ain't bad for Linux.
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

jjott wrote:...LinuxMint 17.3 Cinnamon ... Filemanager would best be suited.
Best suited is always going to be what the distribution has setup as the default, because the distro maintainers have spent extra time to ensure it works, may customize, and may provide documentation, etc.

From there, it comes down to your needs. The trade-off is that you may have to do more work to setup, maintain, troubleshoot...

wiki has a comparison table. I use KDE and the default File Manager is Dolphin. And I'm 100% satisfied. It's very configurable. Although, I tend to use the command line (konsole) rather than a gui (dolphin).
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

I use Nautilus with Cinnamon which is excellent and does most of what I need easily; I too usually use the Terminal to manipulate files and directories.

Seem to remember it not coming pre-installed on Mint 17.3 Cinnamon (32 or 64 bit) but it's in the repositories.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install nautilus
or search for nautilus in Software Manager / Synaptic Package Manager.

My favourite file manager is Dolphin in KDE, very efficient at getting things done and looks great, very user friendly and as mentioned above, very configurable.

Now off to look at the wiki lmuserx4849 posted to see what else is worth a look.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dngrsone »

I like nemo, and Nautilus is good too. Dolphin works good for me in KDE, though when it comes to mass-renaming music files, nothing beats Thunar, which is native to xfce
Try politeness; people will like you for it.
jjott

Post by jjott »

I am overwhelmed by the number of File managers that various users are either using or at least have a good opinion on them,
Here is the list (so far at this time):
nemo, Nautilus, Dolphin, Thunar, Krusader, Ranger, Caja, Pcmanfm.
An impressive list ! It will take me some time to look at some (or all of them).
Interesting that no one mentioned Filerunner, I use it extensively and will compare it with the ones listed, I doubt that very few would come even close to its capabilities, but I try to have an open mind.
Thanks for all your replies
John
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Nemo is great and is my favourite. But since I'm using only MATE at the moment, caja isn't bad either! They're both very similar (with the Gnome heritage and all) that if you use one you can use the other with very few hiccups.

I definitely agree with the post above, that the best file manager is the one that comes with your DE (usually). Mixing file managers can cause some problems down the road, unless they're more of "stand-alone" file managers that aren't designed for a particular DE>
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

The embedded file manager is the most defining characteristic among the Mint DEs,
and each DE offers compelling features--if I were to choose a file manager based on navigational attributes
alone it would be Dolphin--hands down.
But as for me and the way I use my computer--I choose Caja
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Nemo has the best integration in the system. You can activate in the prefences the option, that it always starts with 2 panes.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

all41 wrote:The embedded file manager is the most defining characteristic among the Mint DEs,
and each DE offers compelling features--if I were to choose a file manager based on navigational attributes
alone it would be Dolphin--hands down...
+1 to that. You're going to get better integration with the file manager that came with the DE. Having tried all the Mint DE versions I don't actually think any of their file managers is anywhere near bad enough to make it worthwhile using a different one. I'm an Xfce user and I used to feel that way about Thunar but they improved it. It's fine now.

Dolphin is indeed very powerful but if you install it in a non KDE DE it'll also install a shed load of dependencies. And it'll slow things down. I have installed Dolphin on non KDE DE versions before but no more.

One that I might consider is pcmanfm, which is the LXDE file manager. It's very fast, reasonably powerful, and doesn't install a lot of dependencies. That's typical pf LXDE programs ... the reason I use Mint Xfce instead of LXDE on my netbook is that no good Ubuntu based distros I know of offer an LXDE version with 5 years support.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
jjott

Post by jjott »

The comment "hands down" by all41 prompted me to make a comparison between Dolphin and Filerunner

sceenshot009.jpeg
sceenshot007.jpeg
The screenshots had to be taken with reduced sizes to accommodate the forum limits,
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "jjott",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

"Ranger" is a text based console terminal file manager, if I am not mistaken. For a text based console terminal file manager I think "mc" (midnight commander) is pretty great.

For a desktop (graphical GUI) file manager, I agree with most everyone else, that using the one that comes with the edition of Linux Mint you are using is the best way to go.

I personally think "Dolphin" is the best file manager of all of them for the reasons already stated, but it is a KDE application. So, you have to install some "kde" dependencies to really have it work on non-KDE desktops. I do not think, like others, that because it requires installing some other KDE dependencies, that it is not worth trying on other non-kde desktops. Drive space is plentiful and inexpensive, and the kde dependencies do not take up that much space, and you can always remove them (uninstall them). But, I found that not all of the "Dolphin" file manager's many great features will work on non-kde desktops, at least not from my brief experience installing it in Linux Mint "Mate"; for instance not all the multi-media information that automatically shows up when browsing multimedia files in KDE showed up in "Mate", although some did. Installing "mediainfo" & "mediainfo-gui" (python-mediainfoddl, python3-mediainfodll) will help with that information using any file manager on any Linux Mint edition.

I also have "Konqueror" and "Krusader" installed. "Konqueror" is a web browser and file manager in one, that is very useful for opening "html" pages you have saved on your local drive(s) without using your Internet browser, and a pretty great file manager, and can do more as well. "Krusader" is a desktop GUI file manager that uses twin panel style, like "Total Commander", or "Midnight Commander" (mc), although Dolphin can also easily do a twin (dual) pane view too.

Hope this helps ...
If you are not using Linux Mint KDE, and want to be able to run some very high quality KDE applications,
then install these few programs below in the quote box in blue, which are perfectly safe for any edition of Linux mint.
If you're experiencing issues with KDE apps (like Amarok, Okular, Gwenview, KStars, kdenlive, "K3b", "Kolourpaint", etc...)
run the following command from your console terminal prompt: (you can copy & paste it too),
or install from the Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)
sudo apt-get install kdelibs-bin kdelibs5-data kdelibs5-plugins

Depending on your setup, you might also need to install "KDE-runtime" as well.
If you want to use "Kmail", and or "Korganizer", and or Kontacts, and or "Kalarm", then you will probably have to also install "kdepim".
Last edited by phd21 on Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

My personal favorite is Gnome-Commander, as I like two-panel file managers and this one is a lot like the ones I have grown use to in Windows over the years.
donalduck
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donalduck »

+1 for midnight commander

I'd like to add that mc is not a text only file manager, because you can use both mouse and keyboard to command control actions
(but mouse use only does not make it efficient, you have to learn the few key shortcuts)
what is more, it it visually quite relaxing thanks to it's blue/green color theme.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "jjott", & Everyone Else,

I thought it might be helpful to show some screenshots, and to add a little more to the descriptions.

The "Dolphin" File manager - can have multiple tabs, and each tab can have, a standard view, or a split (dual) pane view, and each tab can have their own display options and views, and previews.

Dolphin using a "Split (dual pane) view

Konqueror screenshot 1 - web browser file manager and file viewer

Konqueror screenshot 2 - you can split the file manger vertically, or horizontally, multiple times in each pane, and each pane can have their own display options & views, and previews. built-in text editor, etc...

Konqueror screenshot 3

Krusader screenshot 1 - This is the GUI (graphical) desktop program that looks and functions a lot like Midnight Commander (MC) (a console terminal program) and Total Commander.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
gostal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gostal »

jjott,

I, too, have used Filerunner extensively over the years. I found it by accident when I took my first Linux steps in the late 90's using Mandrake and Filerunner has stayed with me ever since although it was not maintained for some years. Now Tom Turkey has kept making a good file manager even better for many years by implementing quite a few of my wishes. My contributions, however, are but a drop in the ocean compared to Tom's.

I don't have so much experience with other file managers except KDE's Dolphin since Mint Mate is a quite recent acquaintance but rarely have I found an instance in which Filerunner doesn't win the race against Dolphin. IMHO the only case where Filerunner falls short is when it cannot do the task at all. But it's all a matter of taste. I like text only lists, command buttons are more ergonomically placed in the middle divider, it's easy to configure both apps of choice and other things, terminal windows easily started, navigation a breeze ...
Lap: Latitude E6520, i3-2330M @ 2.20GHz, 4GB, Intel HD Graphics 3000, OS Mint 19.1 version Mate, Windows 7 Enterprise
Desk: Dell Precision T5810, Xeon E5-1650 v4 @ 3.60GHz,72 GB, Radeon Pro WX 7100, OS CentOS 7.7
Stockholm, Sweden

Return to “Software & Applications”