Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
cerien
Level 1
Level 1

mint deteriorating

Post by cerien » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:36 pm

HI
I am using mint for over a year now, and had to reinstall twice as the ssd drive crashed twice...

On this current installation, I may have 3-4 months, probably a record, and while things were great until a few days, performance is becoming a nightmare. Mint 17.3 with Cinnamon - Mint freezes randomly when I type (in firefox, libreoffice or even a local ssh session), switching windows can take seconds to respond, then be ok, everything lags a bit then works fine

CPU shows occasionnally cinnamon peaking one core at 95-100%, then back to normal, dmesg doesnt show anything special

What could be wrong ?

Thanks for the help

Code: Select all

#  inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: xx Kernel: 3.19.0-32-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: Cinnamon 2.8.8 (Gtk 2.24.23)
           Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: BU401LG v: 1.0 Bios: American Megatrends v: BU401LG.211 date: 04/28/2014
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i7-4500U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9577
           clock speeds: max: 3000 MHz 1: 1664 MHz 2: 2085 MHz 3: 1451 MHz 4: 1135 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Card-2: NVIDIA GK208M [GeForce GT 730M] bus-ID: 04:00.0
           Display Server: X.org 1.17.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: nouveau
           tty size: 188x43 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Audio:     Card-1 Intel 8 Series HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Card-2 Intel Haswell-ULT HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k3.19.0-32-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel Ethernet Connection I218-V driver: e1000e v: 2.3.2-k port: f080 bus-ID: 00:19.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel Wireless 7260 driver: iwlwifi v: in-tree: bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 628.1GB (38.0% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: HGST_HTS545050A7 size: 500.1GB temp: 39C
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: SanDisk_SSD_U100 size: 128.0GB temp: 0C
Partition: ID-1: / size: 72G used: 18G (26%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb2
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 8.59GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 55.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 54.0
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 239 Uptime: 22:18 Memory: 3689.5/7850.0MB Init: Upstart runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.111) inxi: 2.2.28 

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Re: mint deteriorating

Post by Mute Ant » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:53 pm

Really deteriorating?

o Make a new user and log in with the defaults for everything left unchanged. Do all the problems go away?

o Amnesiac RAM. Easily tested with the Live Session boot. Linux can limp along with bad RAM pages, but you certainly don't want it to. What gets written to disk has to be stored in RAM first.

o Amnesiac Partition. The command sudo dpkg --verify will compare the checksum of what is on the drive with what came out of a package. For example, I get this...

Code: Select all

mute@kermes ~ $ sudo dpkg --verify 
[sudo] password for mute: 
??5??????   /usr/share/python-apt/templates/Ubuntu.info
??5??????   /usr/share/applications/galculator.desktop
??5?????? c /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf
??5??????   /usr/share/applications/transmission-gtk.desktop
??5?????? c /etc/xdg/autostart/xbindkeys.desktop
??5??????   /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/en-GB/ddg.xml
??5??????   /usr/share/applications/mintUpdate.desktop
??5??????   /usr/share/applications/im-config.desktop
??5?????? c /etc/bash.bashrc
??5?????? c /etc/skel/.bashrc
??5??????   /usr/share/applications/guvcview.desktop
??5??????   /usr/share/applications/sakura.desktop
??5??????   /usr/share/applications/display-im6.q16.desktop
??5??????   /usr/share/applications/debian-xterm.desktop
??5??????   /usr/share/applications/debian-uxterm.desktop
??5?????? c /etc/apparmor.d/abstractions/evince
??5?????? c /etc/grub.d/10_linux
??5?????? c /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme
??5??????   /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/en-US/ddg.xml
??5??????   /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/distribution.ini
??5??????   /usr/share/applications/display-im6.desktop
??5??????   /usr/share/applications/lxsession-default-apps.desktop
??5??????   /usr/share/applications/xfce4-run.desktop
??5??????   /usr/share/applications/xfce4-appfinder.desktop
??5??????   /usr/share/applications/nitrogen.desktop
??5??????   /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/cupshelpers/__pycache__/cupshelpers.cpython-35.pyc
??5??????   /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/cupshelpers/__pycache__/xmldriverprefs.cpython-35.pyc
??5??????   /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/cupshelpers/__pycache__/config.cpython-35.pyc
??5??????   /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/cupshelpers/__pycache__/openprinting.cpython-35.pyc
??5??????   /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/cupshelpers/__pycache__/__init__.cpython-35.pyc
??5??????   /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/cupshelpers/__pycache__/ppds.cpython-35.pyc
??5??????   /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/cupshelpers/__pycache__/installdriver.cpython-35.pyc
??5??????   /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/softwareproperties/ppa.py
??5??????   /usr/bin/lxlock
??5??????   /usr/lib/linuxmint/common/configobj.pyc
??5??????   /usr/share/applications/gdebi.desktop
??5??????   /usr/share/applications/network.desktop
...all ordinary 'text' stuff. It's normal for configuration files to be reported as changed. Compiled binaries should never appear in this list.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

cerien
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cerien » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:00 am

thanks - I've created a new user, see if it will improve,

In the meantime, I am facing two inconveniences, when I click on the cinnamon menu, bottom left, I cant type anything to search for an app, in the top box, with a magnifying glass icon - all keys go to the active desktop window.
Also with ALT-TAB default behaviour, when I cycle through windows and release alt tab, the popup that shows the windows remain on the screen until I click somewhere else.... cant remember having tuned that...

cerien
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cerien » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:46 pm

alt tab not working (or badly working) is ABSOLUTE TORTURE - I am litterally on the edge of throwing out my computer throuygh the window

FAREWELL MINT

NEVER AGAIN

thobin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by thobin » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:30 pm

Its not Mint dude, its your computer. I never ceases to amazes me how if something goes wrong on a Windows computer its the computers fault but if something goes wrong on a Linux machine it's Linux fault. Same with programs, doesn’t work, programs fault if it's Linux, must be Linux fault!

I had a older computer that wouldn’t run Mint, half the time ran great then would crap out other times. But it ran XP just fine, turns out the hard drive was failing the mother board caps were bloated and one RAM stick had gone bad. Had nothing to do with Linux, its just that I was trained to believe that if XP was having problems it must have been the other programs. It wasn’t until I loaded Linux that I found the the computer was failing.

Mint isn’t perfect but it's damn near, maybe before you blame Mint you should look and see if your computer is a POS, from what you are describing it sounds like you have a bad drive or RAM, and just because they may be new doesn’t mean they aren’t bad. I had one machine that for some reason Linux just didn’t like the cheap China RAM that was in it, worked just fine with XP, but nope with Mint. Is that Mints fault? Or the crappy cheap Chinese RAM?

My boys NEW computer was having problems with Mint till we discovered his motherboard was at fault, switched it out with a new, same type and brand and not a lick of trouble since. (over a year ago)

Don’t be so quick to blame the OS, I would put money on something is wrong with your computer!

TA

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:32 pm

I'm with thobin. When something works well for millions of people, and one person has problems, I'm always inclined to suspect the problem lies not in the operating system which is working for millions of other people, but in something specific to that user that is having problems. It could be your hardware, or it could be that you have done questionable "upgrades" to your computer. But Mint 18 is now available; I'd probably give that a try before giving up on Mint.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Software & Applications”