Firefox shipping with Mint 18 / Cinnamon slowdowns and lag

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
puddleduck

Firefox shipping with Mint 18 / Cinnamon slowdowns and lag

Post by puddleduck »

Good Morning

I boot my Dell 17" laptop from a USB key. I have used Mint 17.x like this for probably the past 18 months.

Today I updated to Mint 18 / Cinnamon

There seems to be a major issue with Firefox that ships with the browser - for example but not exclusively to these pages but as an example on https://www.linuxmint.com or this forums index, scrolling up and down pages is very delayed, there appears to be about 1/2 second latency between commands being executed and actions. Tab switching is also delayed, and scrolling via scrollbars is slow and 'jumps'. Looking at resource monitor there is a spike in CPU usage from cinnamon which seems to cause this lag. Something is causing high CPU spikes leading to the lag.

If I switch to Chrome, then everything works fine and smoothly so it seems to related to the shipping Firefox.

This symptom can be observed with a clean boot via my USB key.

System info:
Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64-bit
Cinnamon version: 3.0.6
Linux kernel; 4.4.0-21-generic
Processor: Intel Core i5-3337U @ 1.80Ghz x 2
Memory: 8GB
Hard drive: 947.0 GB (I do not use my hard drive as the USB key is the boot device)
Graphics card: Intel 3rd gen core processor graphics controller
Graphics card: AMD Mars [Radeon HD 8730M]

This lag goes away if I got back to my old Linux Mint 17.2 version
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Firefox shipping with Mint 18 / Cinnamon slowdowns and lag

Post by Cosmo. »

Do you mean with USB key the live system?
puddleduck

Re: Firefox shipping with Mint 18 / Cinnamon slowdowns and lag

Post by puddleduck »

Hello

Yes, I always boot via a Live CD.

I cannot install to my HD as I get a Grub2 cannot install error and then the installer crashes with both Mint 17.x and 18 so I just use Live CD and this works very well.

I have two USB keys with 17.x and 18.0 and this problem is reproducible 100%. The problems with 18.x seems to happen with a few tabs open, tab switching you see a slower than normal redraw, scroll bars do not respond instantly and stutter and judder when they do. A second instance of Firefox which can be opened also has the same problem.

For now I am back to 17.2 as 18.0 is not usable for me unfortunately

Return to “Software & Applications”