Can't Install Screenlets on Linux Mint 18???

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Todd Sauve
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Can't Install Screenlets on Linux Mint 18???

Post by Todd Sauve »

greerd wrote:Hey Todd,
I don't follow you on the conky not displaying cpu freq's, I've been using conky for a long time and have only had to tweek my .conkyrc file every now and then to keep up with things. In my screenshot below I have moved my Drives Manager desklet over to the right for simplisity, but my weather desklet stays where it's shown (under conky) on my mint 18 cinnamon box. The Drives Manager gives the red ! but works fine and can also be used as a applet.

I only use the basic .conkyrc but there are some fancy ones out there if you search around. I can post my .conkyrc file here if you'd like to use that as a base.
Cheers,
Doug
Hi Doug,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, what you have working is exactly what I want. I have my weather app at the top but that is not important. Please post your Conkyrc file for me.

I had precisely the same utility from Conky on my PC with LM 17 but switched over to the Info Panel from Screenlets. With the newest Conky I can't even find the utility you are using. I can only find the one that gives one CPU indicater and a single RAM indicator, neither of which even identify the CPU or the amount of RAM. I downloaded the 15 MB utility package that was supposed to be "comprehensive" but the one you have isn't included for some strange reason.

I spent hours and hours trying to get Conky to work the way I wanted but its installation instructions for various utilities are pretty arcane and numerous and I am just not enough of an expert with Linux to even understand what they are saying half of the time! Part of Linux's overall problem is the multitude of methods of installing something--which has simply got to go the way of the Dodo if this OS is ever going to displace Windows.

If there are any specialized instruction for installing your utility please post them in detail. I am using the latest Conky installer but a lot of the utilities remain invisible to it for some reason, especially the ones from Deviant Art.

I too have an 8 core CPU, the Intel i7 4700k overclocked to 4.3GHz, so I want the utility that displays all 8 core just like yours. In fact, my whole PC is made from top quality mainstream parts that hundreds of millions of users have but I have had some pretty hairy installation problems with Linux trying to sort them out. I have an ASUS Z87 Plus motherboard (with the very latest BIOS, which is now 2 years old), 16 GBs of Kingston DDR 3 RAM, an Nvidia MSI GTX-770 video card, a 500 GB Sandisc Ultra II SSD, two Seagate 7200.14 2 GB Baracuda harddrives, a 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD and a Creative Labs Audigy2 ZX Platinum sound card.

Thanks again Doug! :)

greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

OK Todd, here's my .conkyrc file:

Code: Select all

-- vim: ts=4 sw=4 noet ai cindent syntax=lua
--[[
Conky, a system monitor, based on torsmo

Any original torsmo code is licensed under the BSD license

All code written since the fork of torsmo is licensed under the GPL

Please see COPYING for details

Copyright (c) 2004, Hannu Saransaari and Lauri Hakkarainen
Copyright (c) 2005-2012 Brenden Matthews, Philip Kovacs, et. al. (see AUTHORS)
All rights reserved.

This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
(at your option) any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
along with this program.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.
]]

conky.config = {
    alignment = 'top_right',
    background = false,
    border_width = 1,
    cpu_avg_samples = 2,
	default_color = 'DarkOrange3',
    default_outline_color = 'white',
    default_shade_color = 'white',
    draw_borders = false,
    draw_graph_borders = true,
    draw_outline = false,
    draw_shades = false,
	double_buffer = true,
    use_xft = true,
    font = 'DejaVu Sans Mono:size=8',
    gap_x = 5,
    gap_y = 6,
    minimum_height = 5,
	minimum_width = 5,
    net_avg_samples = 2,
    no_buffers = true,
    out_to_console = false,
    out_to_stderr = false,
    extra_newline = false,
    own_window = true,
    own_window_class = 'Conky',
    own_window_type = 'desktop',
    stippled_borders = 0,
    update_interval = 3.0,
    uppercase = false,
    use_spacer = 'none',
    show_graph_scale = false,
    show_graph_range = false,
	own_window_argb_visual = true,
	own_window_transparent = true,
	maximum_width = 300
}

conky.text = [[

${color 78af78}$time $color  Uptime:${color 78af78} ${uptime}
$nodename $sysname $kernel on $machine $color
$color$stippled_hr

Total CPU: ${color 78af78} ${cpu cpu0}%
${color 78af78}${cpubar}$color
${cpugraph 000000 78af78}

Core 1: ${color khaki3} ${freq_g 1}$color GHz${color khaki3} ${cpu cpu1}%${color 78af78} ${alignr}${cpubar cpu1 5,138}$color
Core 2: ${color khaki3} ${freq_g 2}$color GHz${color khaki3} ${cpu cpu2}%${color 78af78} ${alignr}${cpubar cpu2 5,138}$color
Core 3: ${color khaki3} ${freq_g 3}$color GHz${color khaki3} ${cpu cpu3}%${color 78af78} ${alignr}${cpubar cpu3 5,138}$color
Core 4: ${color khaki3} ${freq_g 4}$color GHz${color khaki3} ${cpu cpu4}%${color 78af78} ${alignr}${cpubar cpu4 5,138}$color
Core 5: ${color khaki3} ${freq_g 5}$color GHz${color khaki3} ${cpu cpu5}%${color 78af78} ${alignr}${cpubar cpu5 5,138}$color
Core 6: ${color khaki3} ${freq_g 6}$color GHz${color khaki3} ${cpu cpu6}%${color 78af78} ${alignr}${cpubar cpu6 5,138}$color
Core 7: ${color khaki3} ${freq_g 7}$color GHz${color khaki3} ${cpu cpu7}%${color 78af78} ${alignr}${cpubar cpu7 5,138}$color
Core 8: ${color khaki3} ${freq_g 8}$color GHz${color khaki3} ${cpu cpu8}%${color 78af78} ${alignr}${cpubar cpu8 5,138}$color

CPU usage
NAME               PID      CPU%      MEM% 
${color khaki3}${top name 1}${color 78af78}  ${top pid 1}   ${top cpu 1}    ${top mem 1}$color
${color khaki3}${top name 2}${color 78af78}  ${top pid 2}   ${top cpu 2}    ${top mem 2}$color
${color khaki3}${top name 3}${color 78af78}  ${top pid 3}   ${top cpu 3}    ${top mem 3}$color
${color khaki3}${top name 4}${color 78af78}  ${top pid 4}   ${top cpu 4}    ${top mem 4}$color
${color khaki3}${top name 5}${color 78af78}  ${top pid 5}   ${top cpu 5}    ${top mem 5}$color

Mem usage	
${color khaki3}${top_mem name 1}${color 78af78} ${top_mem pid 1}   ${top_mem cpu 1}    ${top_mem mem 1}$color
${color khaki3}${top_mem name 2}${color 78af78} ${top_mem pid 2}   ${top_mem cpu 2}    ${top_mem mem 2}$color
${color khaki3}${top_mem name 3}${color 78af78} ${top_mem pid 3}   ${top_mem cpu 3}    ${top_mem mem 3}$color
${color khaki3}${top_mem name 4}${color 78af78} ${top_mem pid 4}   ${top_mem cpu 4}    ${top_mem mem 4}$color
${color khaki3}${top_mem name 5}${color 78af78} ${top_mem pid 5}   ${top_mem cpu 5}    ${top_mem mem 5}$color

Processes:${color 78af78} $processes$color ${alignr}Running:${color 78af78} $running_processes$color
$stippled_hr 
RAM:  ${color 78af78} $memperc%   ${membar 5}$color
Swap:  ${color 78af78} $swapperc%   ${swapbar 5}$color

/:      ${color khaki3}  ${fs_free_perc /}%$color free${color 78af78}  ${fs_bar 5 /}$color 
/home:  ${color khaki3}  ${fs_free_perc /home}%$color free${color 78af78}  ${fs_bar 5 /home}$color
/data:  ${color khaki3}  ${fs_free_perc /data}%$color free${color 78af78}  ${fs_bar 5 /data}$color
/Videos: ${color khaki3} ${fs_free_perc /Videos}%$color free${color 78af78}  ${fs_bar 5 /Videos}$color

HD IO: 
${color 78af78} ${diskio}	${diskiograph 000000 0077ff}
$color$stippled_hr
Internet/Networking Status${color 78af78} (${addr enp4s0}):$color
Down: ${color 78af78}${downspeedf enp4s0} kB/s$color ${alignr}Up:${color 78af78} ${upspeedf enp4s0} kB/s
${downspeedgraph enp4s0 25,140 000000 0077ff} ${alignr}${upspeedgraph enp4s0 25,140 000000 0077ff}$color
Total:${color 78af78} ${totaldown enp4s0}$color ${alignr}Total:${color 78af78} ${totalup enp4s0}$color
Inbound:${color 78af78} ${tcp_portmon 1 32767 count}$color Outbound:${color 78af78} ${tcp_portmon 32768 61000 count}$color${alignr}Total:${color 78af78} ${tcp_portmon 1 65535 count}$color

Port(s)${alignr}#Connections   
Inbound:${color 78af78} ${tcp_portmon 1 32767 count}$color  Outbound:${color 78af78} ${tcp_portmon 32768 61000 count}${alignr}$color ALL:${color 78af78} ${tcp_portmon 1 65535 count}$color

Inbound Connection ${alignr} Local Service/Port${color 78af78}
${tcp_portmon 1 32767 rhost 0} ${alignr} ${tcp_portmon 1 32767 lservice 0}
${tcp_portmon 1 32767 rhost 1} ${alignr} ${tcp_portmon 1 32767 lservice 1}
${tcp_portmon 1 32767 rhost 2} ${alignr} ${tcp_portmon 1 32767 lservice 2}$color
Outbound Connection ${alignr} Remote Service/Port${color 78af78}
${tcp_portmon 32768 61000 rhost 0} ${alignr} ${tcp_portmon 32768 61000 rservice 0}
${tcp_portmon 32768 61000 rhost 1} ${alignr} ${tcp_portmon 32768 61000 rservice 1}
${tcp_portmon 32768 61000 rhost 2} ${alignr} ${tcp_portmon 32768 61000 rservice 2}
${tcp_portmon 32768 61000 rhost 3} ${alignr} ${tcp_portmon 32768 61000 rservice 3}
${tcp_portmon 32768 61000 rhost 4} ${alignr} ${tcp_portmon 32768 61000 rservice 4}
${tcp_portmon 32768 61000 rhost 5} ${alignr} ${tcp_portmon 32768 61000 rservice 5}
${tcp_portmon 32768 61000 rhost 6} ${alignr} ${tcp_portmon 32768 61000 rservice 6}
${tcp_portmon 32768 61000 rhost 7} ${alignr} ${tcp_portmon 32768 61000 rservice 7}
${tcp_portmon 32768 61000 rhost 8} ${alignr} ${tcp_portmon 32768 61000 rservice 8}
${tcp_portmon 32768 61000 rhost 9} ${alignr} ${tcp_portmon 32768 61000 rservice 9}
$color$stippled_hr
]]
I would rename your old ~/.conkyrc to something like .conkyrc.orig, then create a text file called .conkyrc and past my code in it. If you like the gui way (which I do) make sure you set nemo to 'show hidden files' from the 'view' menu or you'll never find .conkyrc.

As far as conky itself, you can install it from the default repository using synaptic (or open a terminal and type "sudo apt install conky") by typing 'conky' in the find box. I'm not interested in all the secondary conky fluff you'll see like conky-manager, conky-wizard etc., I've tried the fancy stuff and always end up with my simple old-style conky & .conkyrc.

Once you have installed conky and have the ~/.conkyrc file pasted with the code above (I've referred to it as my code but its not, I ride on the shoulders of giants) ether run conky from a terminal or 'atl & F2' and type conky, then enter. Then just open the .conkyrc file up into a text editor to do any editing/playing around. I think that every time you save the file, conky should reload with the newly edited file. (no need to close the editor), if it doesn't just type 'killall conky' followed by 'conky' to stop and start with the new .conkyrc (which is just a config file).

Here's a couple of links displaying all config and objects availible for your .conkyrc. http://conky.sourceforge.net/config_settings.html and http://conky.sourceforge.net/variables.html.

If you want the fancy stuff you can start by installing conky-manager or concky-wizard and try your luck.
Also this very forum has a Compiz, Conky, Docks and Widgets section that might help.

Cheers,
Doug

Todd Sauve
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Todd Sauve »

Hi Doug,

Thanks for posting your solution to Conky. However, I'm afraid this is somewhat too complex for me to understand and install. :(

Is there any "installation" of Conky that has this configuration of yours contained within it by default, such that I can simply select it from the list of available utilities?

Todd Sauve
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Todd Sauve »

Hi again Doug,

I have found widgets and themes very similar to yours Doug on the web but when I download and install (extract) them into the ~conky file folder, Conky Manager doesn't find them and they don't show up in Conky Manager.

I don't understand why.

Anyway, I uninstalled Conky Manager, deleted its folder and simply installed the bare Conky as per your instructions. I then deleted the .conkyrc file, created a new one with your settings and voila! There it is on my desktop! :D :mrgreen:

Now I need to make it more visible, without needing to use a black background. The fonts need to be brighter.

Any ideas on how to do this?

Also, how do I show the CPU temperatures and make Conky autostart with Linux Mint?

Finally, it closes itself when I run VLC media player and when I unmount a hard drive from the desktop, i.e., close the desktop icon. Any ideas on how to stop this?

greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

Good news Todd,
The widgets and themes may be lua scripts that are (I think) separate files called withing .conky.
I choose more muted colors to suite my desktop and can be changed to suite your taste.

In the code I posted earlier you'll notice three distinct sections, the top section thats encapsulated with "--[[ a bunch of text ]]" (with multiple lines) is just comments. Then we see "conky.config = { a bunch of varibles }" (again multiple line) configures how conky will display itself on your screen. The third section "conky.text = [[ variables that are displayed on your desktop ]] (multiple lines).

This file uses the lua syntax and I think is the default since conky v1.9. see the wiki https://github.com/brndnmtthws/conky/wiki for more info.

Changing colors is easy and this /etc/X11/rgb.txt file is what I mostly use for a reference. You'll notice in my code that I sometimes use the name of the color and sometimes use a hex value of the color. Some colors do not have a name and (I think) that the hex code is needed some of my bars that change color as they scroll along. The rgb.txt file shows rgb with a decimal representation of each intensity so pure white is 255(red) 255(blue) 255(green) in the rgb.txt file but must be converted to hex for use in conky (ffffff) (255 dec = ff hex). Except for the port numbers ( under Connections) all 6 digit hex number is a color (in my code) and can be changed to what ever. Trail and error (with emphasis on error) is what I did.

To run conky on startup, just go 'MENU - Preferences - Startup Application' which opens a gui, then ADD (Custom Command), type in a Name (conky) and type in conky for the 'Command'. You might want to increment the delay to 4 or so (allows the desktop to startup before conky starts).

TIPS:
When editing .conky, use xed (default text editor) and set the View to Highlight Mode - script - lua

Basically, the conky.text part of the file goes line by line as displayed on your screen (including blank lines) (if you don't have text wrap on in xed)

If you get a partial desktop freeze (because of a corrupt conky) type 'alt' and 'f2', type 'r' and enter to reload the desktop without losing anything.

run conky from a terminal to see any errors.

for temperatures see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpConky (install lm-sensors and hddtemp)

read the wiki linked above

have fun!

Cheers

Todd Sauve
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Todd Sauve »

OK, I set the Startup Command properly and it now starts ... but it shuts down automatically after a minute or two! I don't understand why this is happening.

I do seem to be "blessed" with problems in this regard with LM 18, don't I?

greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

Could be the 'own_window_type'. You could try changing it from 'Desktop' to 'Normal'. Other options for this variable are dock, panel or override.

Todd Sauve
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Todd Sauve »

greerd wrote:Could be the 'own_window_type'. You could try changing it from 'Desktop' to 'Normal'. Other options for this variable are dock, panel or override.
Hi again Doug,

I have customized another conkyrc file and almost have it the way I would like it. I am hoping you can take a look at it and make a few adjustments for me. I had to just type in the name of my CPU and the GPU because I don't know how to have the conky file detect it automatically. If you know the correct code to have these two things correctly detected I would be thankful. Also, if you could make the graph bars on the CPU scale maybe twice as tall as they currently are, and add a bar graph to the GPU, RAM and Hard Drive readouts, as well, but make them only 2/3 as long as the CPU bars.

I hope I have attached this conkyrc file correctly, as I have never tried to attach such a file to a forum post before!

This is a very nice 8 core conky and has both the temperatures and frequencies in it! I cobbled it together from a 4 CPU conky. Maybe you can customize it to your own liking and use it yourself. Please post an image of yours if you do so.

Thanks!

conky.config = {
background = false,
update_interval = 1,

cpu_avg_samples = 2,
net_avg_samples = 2,
temperature_unit = 'celsius',

double_buffer = true,
no_buffers = true,
text_buffer_size = 2048,

gap_x = 30,
gap_y = 120,
minimum_width = 280, minimum_height = 460,
maximum_width = 280,
own_window = true,
own_window_class = 'conky',
own_window_argb_visual = true,
own_window_argb_value = 120,
own_window_hints = 'undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager',
own_window_transparent = true,
background = false,
border_inner_margin = 0,
border_outer_margin = 0,
alignment = 'bottom_right',

draw_shades = false,
draw_outline = false,
draw_borders = false,
draw_graph_borders = false,

override_utf8_locale = true,
use_xft = true,
font = 'DejaVu Sans:size=10',
xftalpha = 0.5,
uppercase = false,

default_color = 'white',
color1 = 'cyan',
color2 = 'white',

};

conky.text = [[
${goto 5}${font zekton:style=Bold:pixelsize=14}${color2}SYSTEM${font Snap.se:size=8} ${color1}${hr}${color}

${goto 10}${font OpenLogos:size=12}J${font} OS: ${execi 10800 cat /etc/issue.net}
${goto 10}${font StyleBats:size=12}q${font} Kernel: ${kernel}
${goto 10}${font StyleBats:size=12}x${font} CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k
${voffset -5}
${goto 5}${font zekton:style=Bold:pixelsize=14}${color2}SYSTEM LOAD${font Snap.se:size=8} ${color1}${hr}${color}
${voffset -5}
${goto 10}${font StyleBats:size=12}A${font} CPU 1: ${cpu cpu 0}%${goto 120} ${execi 5 sensors|grep 'Core 0'| awk -F'+' '{print $2}' | awk -F'.' '{print $1}'} °C ${alignr}${freq 1} MHz
${goto 5}${color1}${cpubar cpu 0}${color}
${goto 10}${font StyleBats:size=12}A${font} CPU 2: ${cpu cpu 1}%${goto 120} ${execi 5 sensors|grep 'Core 1'| awk -F'+' '{print $2}' | awk -F'.' '{print $1}'} °C ${alignr}${freq 2} MHz
${goto 5}${color1}${cpubar cpu 1}${color}
${goto 10}${font StyleBats:size=12}A${font} CPU 3: ${cpu cpu 2}%${goto 120} ${execi 5 sensors|grep 'Core 2'| awk -F'+' '{print $2}' | awk -F'.' '{print $1}'} °C ${alignr}${freq 3} MHz
${goto 5}${color1}${cpubar cpu 2}${color}
${goto 10}${font StyleBats:size=12}A${font} CPU 4: ${cpu cpu 3}%${goto 120} ${execi 5 sensors|grep 'Core 3'| awk -F'+' '{print $2}' | awk -F'.' '{print $1}'} °C ${alignr}${freq 4} MHz
${goto 5}${color1}${cpubar cpu 3}${color}
${goto 10}${font StyleBats:size=12}A${font} CPU 5: ${cpu cpu 4}%${goto 120} ${execi 5 sensors|grep 'Core 3'| awk -F'+' '{print $2}' | awk -F'.' '{print $1}'} °C ${alignr}${freq 5} MHz
${goto 5}${color1}${cpubar cpu 4}${color}
${goto 10}${font StyleBats:size=12}A${font} CPU 6: ${cpu cpu 5}%${goto 120} ${execi 5 sensors|grep 'Core 3'| awk -F'+' '{print $2}' | awk -F'.' '{print $1}'} °C ${alignr}${freq 6} MHz
${goto 5}${color1}${cpubar cpu 5}${color}
${goto 10}${font StyleBats:size=12}A${font} CPU 7: ${cpu cpu 6}%${goto 120} ${execi 5 sensors|grep 'Core 3'| awk -F'+' '{print $2}' | awk -F'.' '{print $1}'} °C ${alignr}${freq 7} MHz
${goto 5}${color1}${cpubar cpu 6}${color}
${goto 10}${font StyleBats:size=12}A${font} CPU 8: ${cpu cpu 7}%${goto 120} ${execi 5 sensors|grep 'Core 3'| awk -F'+' '{print $2}' | awk -F'.' '{print $1}'} °C ${alignr}${freq 8} MHz
${goto 5}${color1}${cpubar cpu 7}${color}
${voffset -5}
${goto 10}${font StyleBats:size=12}g${font} RAM $mem / $memmax ($memperc%)
${voffset -5}
${goto 10}${font StyleBats:size=12}l${font} Nvidia MSI GTX 770 OC: ${exec nvidia-settings -t -q [gpu:0]/GPUCoreTemp} °C${goto 150}
${voffset -5}
${goto 10}${font StyleBats:size=12}g${font} HD READ: ${color white} ${diskio_read}
${voffset -5}
${goto 10}${font StyleBats:size=12}g${font} HD WRITE: ${color white} ${diskio_write}
]];
Last edited by Todd Sauve on Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:45 am, edited 4 times in total.

Todd Sauve
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Todd Sauve »

Doug,

Here is an image of the conky as it currently stands.

Tell me what you think of it please!

If you can make the changes I asked for, this will be a very sharp monitoring conky with all of the really vital and useful information.

[img]
Screenshot%20from%202016-07-20%2002-16-42.jpg
[/img]

Todd Sauve
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Todd Sauve »

Here's another look at it with some CPU activity and temps showing.

I have added a space between the CPU 8 bar graph and the RAM information since posting the screenshot. This makes it look perfectly symmetrical now
Screenshot 2.jpg

Todd Sauve
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Todd Sauve »

This is what it started out as: https://www.gnome-look.org/content/show ... ent=175382

As you can see, I've made some pretty drastic changes!

greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

Looking good Todd,

I don't see any direct way to display the GPU and CPU names from .conkyrc. You could use bash commands (terminal) like 'lspci | grep VGA' for your Nvidia card and ' lscpu | grep "Model name" ' for cpu but to have these displayed in conky you'd have to use the exec (or better, the execi) command to run and display the lsxxx bash commands. eg. ${execi 120 lspci |grep VGA | fold -w50}
This takes resources and might display more than you want. Might be best to leave this as text.

Or perhaps a Lua script (I know nothing about Lua) if you want to dig into it.

Anyway, I'm glad you got conky almost running the way you want it, much more satisfying (and frustrating) when some blood, sweat and tears are involved, eh.

Cheers,
Doug

ack0329
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ack0329 »

Todd Sauve wrote:
Cosmo. wrote:You might try System Monitor Applet. You have to install the package gir1.2-gtop-2.0 at first. You will see after installing the applet a warning, but a quick look with Mint 18 shows me, that it works. Otherwise search for an alternative applet.
That app is as ugly as they come! Ugghhh!

And did I mention uninformative??? What use is a a miniscule sized graph that doesn't include labels telling what it is monitoring? How about some numbers and descriptions of what it is actually doing?

Come on you LM 18 administrators! Are you brain dead when it comes to attractive utilities to monitor the vitals of your customer's computers? Few people want to be bereft of this capability but you admins seem to care less! Just bring out a new version of the OS and everything else be damned! It is well past time that you paid as much attention to users' needs to monitor what is happenning in their PCs as you do to pretty interfaces like Cinammon. :evil:

At the very least you could make sure your new releases don't break backward compatibility with the few monitoring utilities that do exist!
I Strongly AGREE,
Respect negative comments, ... if 1 person says it, Thousands are thinking it

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

ack0329 wrote:
Todd Sauve wrote:
Cosmo. wrote:You might try System Monitor Applet. You have to install the package gir1.2-gtop-2.0 at first. You will see after installing the applet a warning, but a quick look with Mint 18 shows me, that it works. Otherwise search for an alternative applet.
That app is as ugly as they come! Ugghhh!

And did I mention uninformative??? What use is a a miniscule sized graph that doesn't include labels telling what it is monitoring? How about some numbers and descriptions of what it is actually doing?

Come on you LM 18 administrators! Are you brain dead when it comes to attractive utilities to monitor the vitals of your customer's computers? Few people want to be bereft of this capability but you admins seem to care less! Just bring out a new version of the OS and everything else be damned! It is well past time that you paid as much attention to users' needs to monitor what is happenning in their PCs as you do to pretty interfaces like Cinammon. :evil:

At the very least you could make sure your new releases don't break backward compatibility with the few monitoring utilities that do exist!
I Strongly AGREE,
Respect negative comments, ... if 1 person says it, Thousands are thinking it
Constructive criticism is respected and even desired. Someone who pops in name calling people who devote their free time and effort into development is not going to have their opinions respected though. There is a name for people who people behave like that. They are called trolls. The fact that someone is hiding behind a computer screen somewhere doesn't give them the right to be disrespectful and expect their ideas and opinions to be respected by others.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

ack0329 wrote:Respect negative comments
Respect comments, which do express nothing else, except the proof, that the writer has not the least respect against people, who provide others with good software? Respects has the requirement, that somebody behaves respectful. People, who throw around with words like "brain dead", do not deserve anything else than disrespect! Point!
ack0329 wrote:if 1 person says it, Thousands are thinking it
You spoke with those thousands? Or you claim, that there are thousands? This is a phrase, hot air.

But again: Simply do not use, what you do not like. That is very easy to do, even for the most bloody newbie.

Todd Sauve
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Todd Sauve »

If all I did was complain then I would agree.

However, I also provided a useful and attractive conky for people to use in place of the Screenlets app that is no longer compatible with LM 18.

Nevertheless, I am still of the opinion that LM 18 was released well before it was ready for prime time. And I think most people will agree, considering how many bugs people are contending with on this forum.

I do apologize for the brain dead comment.

By the way, if you folks who run the Linux Mint project want to bundle my conkys with the distro, feel free to do so! Most people are running PCs with 4 and 8 core (or hyperthreaded) CPUs and the two I have posted in the conky thread are free for the taking!

My gift to you! :D

ThomasWG
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ThomasWG »

What kernel are you running?

I have had issues with Kernel 4.4.0.31 and 4.4.0.34, but the 4.4.0.21 to 4.4.0.24 seem to work pretty good. But this is me and maybe someone else has different issues, don't know.

Todd Sauve
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Todd Sauve »

As far as I know it is Kernel 4.4.0.31 but may be 4.4.0.34. I am in Windows at the moment but I try to keep LM 18 as up to date as I can.

The conkys I posted should work fine with any of the kernels from LM 18.

marz12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marz12 »

Thanks to you Doug,
your .conkyrc helped me to replace the screenlets InfoPanel and Meter I used before (they don't work properly in LM 18, as far as I can see).
I integrated it in ConkyManager, so it was easier for me to tune transparency and other small details (and pick up other conkies' features).
I am very satisfied with that. I only hope that one day LM will provide an easier way for newbies to get such utilities.
Cheers.

JasonStonier
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JasonStonier »

Todd Sauve wrote:
JosephM wrote:
Todd Sauve wrote: "We are above the needs of our customers" attitude that drives so many people away from Linux as any sort of viable DESKTOP alternative to Windows.
Customers? Are you a customer of Linux Mint? I'm pretty sure I'm not...hang on, let me check my bank statements...yup, thought so. I didn't pay for it.

What happened is that some incredible developers got together to write an OS that they liked, for themselves, then graciously posted it on the web so I could download it to see if I liked it to. Then some other developers added to it. Then some other developers added to that. Fast forward 30 years, and here we are.

If you don't like something, then raise a polite feature request (which someone might get to when they've had their coffee and/or they're excited enough about the idea to want to do it), learn to code and do it yourself, or go buy an OS with support.

:D

Return to “Software & Applications”