Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
somelurker
Level 3
Level 3

Automatic login is failing in Mint 18

Post by somelurker » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:14 pm

Edit: This problem happens on an actual computer, not a virtual machine.

I have a problem in which Automatic Login is properly set (as far as I can tell) but is not working properly. This is on the 64-bit version of Mate 18. Under Menu -----> Administration -----> Login Window, I've got automatic login enabled but timed login disabled. Automatic login doesn't work; I have to enter a password every time Mint boots.

I found another thread here discussing a similar topic from just last month: viewtopic.php?t=223432

Under Update Manager, I refreshed and every update from levels 1-3 has already been installed. I then looked under Synaptic's "Installed (upgradable)" packages. One of the upgradable packages is libpam-systemd, which I believe the original poster in that thread mentioned.

I upgraded the libpam-systemd package but auto login still fails. The strangest part is that it's intermittent. Sometimes autologin works, but sometimes it doesn't.
Last edited by somelurker on Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Automatic login is failing

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:23 am

somelurker wrote:Sometimes autologin works, but sometimes it doesn't.
And that is the problem: The auto-login is broken in LM 18 in a way, that you cannot even trust, that it will fail. It works perhaps on one day and then it fails on the next day. It is a bug, nothing you can do about. The only workaround, which is known, is to activate the timed auto-login, so that you get logged in automatically after 10 seconds (default value) - or use LM 17.3, where it never fails.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:53 am

Well, automatic login works fine on my laptop, which has been running on Linux Mint 18 ever since the bèta of Mint 18 Cinnamon was released. It hasn't failed once, and I boot it several times a day....

Maybe it's hardware dependent, and the result of a crash of the graphical desktop the second it's being launched during the final stage of booting. What video card do you have, and what driver is it running on (mine is an Intel)?
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:34 am

As I said: You cannot even trust, that it fails.

I remember during the beta state time, that Clem wrote on one place, that he cannot reproduce the problem. Unluckily this doesn't mean, that it does not exist and not only on a particular hardware.
Pjotr wrote:Maybe it's hardware dependent
In VirtualBox (environment here)? No, the culprit must be somewhere else.
The same conclusion comes from the observation, that in VB I can - with a previously created snapshot - once get one result (e.g. working), but after restoring the snapshot (what logically restores the absolutely identical state of the VM) it fails at the next boot. There appears no pattern for the problem.

chrisuk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chrisuk » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:48 am

I've been using LM 18 Mate since Beta... sometimes Autologin worked - mostly it didn't. I tried every suggestion posted online (not just here)... nothing fixed the issue permanently.

However, a few days ago I uninstalled gufw and ufw; I installed firewalld instead. A side effect of this change in firewall was Autologin worked without fail since. Although I've no idea whether this accidental "fix" will last for long.

(I had the same issue with Ubuntu Mate, but it got fixed weeks ago after a load of updates.)
Chris

Manjaro MATE - MX Linux - LMDE MATE

all41
Level 14
Level 14

Post by all41 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:58 am

hello @chrisuk
I uninstalled gufw and ufw; I installed firewalld instead.
Which version did you install?
Is it working out for you

chrisuk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chrisuk » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:11 am

all41 wrote:hello @chrisuk
I uninstalled gufw and ufw; I installed firewalld instead.
Which version did you install?
Is it working out for you
I've installed 0.4.0-1 of firewalld and firewall-applet - added about 10 seconds to boot process (not investigated why yet) - loads of reading to do yet, as there's many options to understand. So far, it keeps out of my way, is very configurable, and has a nice applet that sits in the system tray to easily change settings or disable Internet completely etc. No need to do anything after install, as it puts your connection into the Public Zone, so pretty secure (Home Zone will be better if you need access to other Computers on your Network)

It's seems a more complete solution than ufw... whether it's necessary is a matter of opinion - I guess most will be happy with (g)ufw
Chris

Manjaro MATE - MX Linux - LMDE MATE

Proxima
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Proxima » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:06 am

I can confirm that I experience the problem on both of my machines, only timed auto-login works correctly. I have tested that only with cinnamon, but having read your posts I assume the flavor doesn't matter.

I use ufw too, but tbh I don't really need the autologin feature to the extent that I'd consider replacing the firewall.
#1 Mint 19.1 Cinnamon 64 bit @ i7 3520M, 16GB, Intel HD4000
#2 Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit @ FX-6300, 12GB, AMD HD7750

somelurker
Level 3
Level 3

Post by somelurker » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:31 pm

Ok, I thought it was only me with the problem, because I couldn't find posts from anyone else experiencing the problem. If this problem is driving you mad like it is for me, I found a second temporary workaround. My problem occurs on an actual computer by the way; not a virtual machine.

I already mentioned in my original post that the buggy autologin setting was under Menu -----> Administration -----> Login Window. This buggy setting controls whether your username is displayed when you log in. If your username is displayed, then you must click it (and possibly type your password) before you are allowed into your desktop. But there's actually another autologin setting in Mint under Main Menu -----> Administration -----> Users and groups. This setting controls whether you have to type your password after clicking your username.

The workaround is to set the latter autologin setting to "Password: Not asked on login." In short, because of the bug, I can't prevent my username from popping up, so the closest I can come to automatically logging in is to set the latter setting so that I'm not asked for my password when I click my username. Instead of typing your password, you now only have to click once. It's an improvement at least.

Meanwhile, is there any way we can help the developers fix this bug? I was thinking of filing a bug report, but according to Cosmo., they seem to already know about the bug. I'm not sure what I can do, if anything, to help them reproduce it.

pioutw
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Automatic login is failing in Mint 18

Post by pioutw » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:38 am

same bug for me

Mint 18 + Mate + driver intel microcode + driver nvidia 340

the problem has appeared since i've installed the drivers, but the computer doesn't work fine without them
~200 LM+Mate installed (and in use)

Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:02 am

The login failure problem continues to exist in Linux Mint 18.1 beta MATE. Haven't tried Cinnamon but I consider the problem is still there too. I know a number of people consider this may be a hardware problem but that's actually unlikely considering it fails over a broad spectrum of hardware differences just as it works over a broad spectrum of hardware. It'll never be fixed until Linux Mint developers of mdm take time to find a machine(s) that actually experiences the problem and work on it to find out why. It's an actual problem. Where's the actual attempt to fix it?

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:49 am

Trapper wrote:The login failure problem continues to exist in Linux Mint 18.1 beta MATE. Haven't tried Cinnamon but I consider the problem is still there too.
The problem exists in LM 18.1 Cinnamon - everything would have been a wonder. The trouble is, that there is a race condition with unknown cause.

You might try what I suggested to Pjotr here. Note this is not a solution, but a test. I tried it a few times in a test system and it seemed to help, but to be sure there would be more tests needed, which I did not do because of the other unsolved problems in LM 18.x.

Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lucap » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:55 am

Does LightDM have auto-login and would swapping over to that make any difference?

Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:12 pm

Cosmo. wrote: You might try what I suggested to Pjotr here. Note this is not a solution, but a test. I tried it a few times in a test system and it seemed to help, but to be sure there would be more tests needed, which I did not do because of the other unsolved problems in LM 18.x.
This 18.1 install refuses to boot up with upstart. Gets part way and freezes. No time to look into it yet.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:10 pm

Trapper wrote:This 18.1 install refuses to boot up with upstart. Gets part way and freezes. No time to look into it yet.
I confirm for 18.1. I never tried it with this build until now.

Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:13 pm

Cosmo. wrote:
Trapper wrote:This 18.1 install refuses to boot up with upstart. Gets part way and freezes. No time to look into it yet.
I confirm for 18.1. I never tried it with this build until now.
Okay. I am not going to spend time with that right now then.

I am grasping at thin air. Just trying to find common denominators in regards to autologin failure. Some network happenings during bootup:

---------------
Qualcomm Atheros AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet driver: alx

OpenVPN

dnscrypt-proxy

clamd/freshclam
---------------

Does anyone suffering from autologin failure match any of these?

Mik3e
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mik3e » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:04 pm

I have auto login enabled and timed login set to 10 seconds and this is a problem I have never experienced.

Code: Select all

--inxi -Fxzplc0--
System:    Host: magpie Kernel: 4.8.0-30-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: MATE 1.14.1 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.1) Distro: Linux Mint 18 Sarah
Machine:   System: Gigabyte Tecohnology product: H61M-DS2
           Mobo: INTEL model: H61M-DS2 v: x.x Bios: American Megatrends v: F4 date: 12/21/2011
CPU:       Dual core Intel Pentium G630 (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 10775
           clock speeds: max: 2700 MHz 1: 2699 MHz 2: 2627 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: N/A Advanced Data: N/A for root
Audio:     Card Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.8.0-30-generic
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (17.7% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: Samsung_SSD_840 size: 500.1GB temp: 0C
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD5000AAKX size: 500.1GB temp: 34C
Partition: ID-1: / size: 20G used: 5.7G (32%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1 label: Magpie
           ID-2: /home size: 9.5G used: 417M (5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5 label: Whimbrel
           ID-3: /media/Avocet size: 455G used: 155G (36%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb1 label: Avocet
           ID-4: swap-1 size: 4.18GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sdb5 label: N/A
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8C mobo: 27.8C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 194 Uptime: 0 min Memory: 371.4/3845.5MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Unknown : sudo inxi: 2.2.35
Mike

Edit: Sorry about the break, things happen. I get the same result with no login timer and in LMDE with auto login only.
Last edited by Mik3e on Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:18 pm

Here's mine:
--- inxi -Fxzplc0 ---

Code: Select all

System:    Host: Shade Kernel: 4.4.0-31-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.3.1)
           Desktop: MATE 1.16.1 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.1)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.1 Serena
Machine:   Mobo: Gigabyte model: GA-78LMT-S2P v: x.x
           Bios: Award v: F3 date: 10/18/2012
CPU:       Quad core AMD Phenom II X4 B55 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm) bmips: 26519
           clock speeds: max: 3300 MHz 1: 2100 MHz 2: 2100 MHz 3: 800 MHz
           4: 800 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RS780L [Radeon 3000]
           bus-ID: 01:05.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS780 (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.8.0)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-31-generic
Network:   Card: 3Com 3c905B 100BaseTX [Cyclone]
           driver: 3c59x port: df00 bus-ID: 02:06.0
           IF: enp2s6 state: unknown speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full
           mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (22.5% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: SAMSUNG_HD501LJ size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 40G used: 8.1G (22%) fs: ext3 dev: /dev/dm-4
           label: N/A
           ID-2: /boot size: 782M used: 60M (9%) fs: ext3 dev: /dev/sda5
           label: shadeboot
           ID-3: /data size: 214G used: 93G (46%) fs: ext3 dev: /dev/dm-8
           label: data
           ID-4: swap-1 size: 4.29GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-1
           label: N/A
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 40.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 231 Uptime: 4:05 Memory: 1451.6/3445.5MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.461) inxi: 2.2.35
Note: I just put the 3Com card in. Same results as with the onboard.

Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:39 am

I installed LM 18.1 Cinnamon final just after it was released. Two days of many tests reboots, shutdowns, logouts/ins, etc. have been done with successful auto logins. I've taken my time over this time to set things up the way I like them. I just would do a couple of few things and then do a test reboot to check my auto login. This morning I had one last thing to do. I have an addon in thunderbird that works with clamav to scan email. I installed clamav and set it up to run freshclam and the clamd systemd services. I then rebooted and auto login promptly failed. I rebooted several times with the same failure results. I then purged clamav. All auto logins has been successful since the purge. I have no idea why a clamav installation and running the clamd service is having a part in failed auto logins but it is and I will bet the farm that this auto login dilemma we experience definitely does not revolve around a hardware compatibility problem.

I have an 18.1 MATE beta install that suffers from failed auto login. I will purge clamav and see what results.

hpmital
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hpmital » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:35 am

I have been experiencing the problem which is the subject of this thread for sometime. I want to add here my experience, as it may help someone trying to fix the problem.
I have Linux Mint Serena (18.1),Cinnamon, and in System Settings - Administration - Login Window I have the following settings:
Enable Automatic Login - Yes
Enable Timed Login - yes, (default minimum) 10 seconds

My machine is an Acer laptop. I am the administrtor and the sole user. I do not use a dual boot. In Bios, my setting is for legacy booting. I have been using LM Cinnamon since version 13 and have upgraded from tome to time. Till LM 17, I did not have any problem in auto-login. I always had it ON and it worked flawlessly. The problem started when I installed LM 18 cinnamon. It continued when I upgraded to LM 18.1. It is then that I set the 'Enable Timed setting' to yes.

The problem is that sometime the autologin proceeds without any flaw and at other times the username/password screen appears and then only it proceeds after waiting for 10 seconds to login. It foxes me to think that the same software and settings are interpretted by the computer in one of two different ways each time I log in. Whatever be the hardware or settings in GRUB or whatever, the machine must act in the same way each time.

As I said, I am placing this observation here in the hope that it may help the developers.

Return to “Software & Applications”