Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Teksonik
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Automatic login is failing in Mint 18

Post by Teksonik »

Just to add my story as well. Yesterday I installed 18.1 Serena Xfce (after a year with Ubuntu Unity) and during install selected the option not to require a Log-In. It worked fine yesterday but today the Log-In screen is popping up and a log-in is required. I too have "Enable Automatic Login" and "Enable Timed Log-In" checked in System / Login Window / Login Window Preferences.

I'm willing to bet my issue is related to user inexperience as although I have used Linux for awhile I am by no means an expert even a novice. I am a two day newbie with Linux Mint.... :oops:

Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper »

Teksonik wrote: I'm willing to bet my issue is related to user inexperience as although I have used Linux for awhile I am by no means an expert even a novice. I am a two day newbie with Linux Mint.... :oops:
Not necessarily so. A lot of users with long time Mint experience are plagued with this problem. I, personally, have found that apps that are improperly set up to work under systemd and are loaded during the boot process have an affect on the mint display manager for some phantom reason that creates the failed auto login. Mostly, it appears to be apps that connect and receive info from the internet that are involved in this failure. I found that clamav, dnscrypt-proxy and a couple of other apps were involved in the autologin failure. Once i googled how these apps configured correctly in the systemd files I eliminated the failure with some edits. However, every once in a great while I still get a login failure but it's limited to one boot up. If that's going to happen it generally happens on first boot after installing updates. I have never nailed it to specific updates though. Again, I will say that anymore my failure experience is very infrequently.

Some resolve the problem by replacing mdm with lightdm. For my personal situation I even found disabling network manger and doing configuration through /etc/network/interfaces stopped the login failure but interfaces also had limitations and difficulties in more complex network configurations. Once I figured out how to correct systemd app configurations I opted back to network manager and autologins go properly.

It's a crap shoot, unfortunately. Different experience for different people and setups. That's making it difficult to fix the problem. Rumor has it that Mint is maybe going to start having a builtin option for mdm and lightdm. I don't know the validity of that. I guess it would help with the autologing problem but I personally think correctly configured systemd files for apps is a better answer, along with discovering how things trip up mdm into doing auto login failures.

Teksonik
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Teksonik »

Thanks, there is much of your post I don't understand out of inexperience. :oops: A reinstall of Mint 18.1 has solved my Login issues. So far no Login is required now. :D

Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper »

Teksonik wrote:Thanks, there is much of your post I don't understand out of inexperience. :oops: A reinstall of Mint 18.1 has solved my Login issues. So far no Login is required now. :D
You may find that your auto login failure issue rears it's ugly head again even though you have 'cured' the problem with the reinstall. It may be some time before it does but there's a good possibility it will happen. That's part of the unpredictability of all this. The problem never seem to be actually 'solved'.

I haven't had auto login failure in quite some time. Then, two days ago I installed goggle-talkplugin. I have been plagued with auto login failure ever since. I would guess it's another systemd configuration files situation but I have yet to find the configuration error.

The only 100% resolve for the problem I have ever had was to switch from mdm to lightdm. The only trouble with that though is that it curtails ones ability to investigate why mdm is doing what it is/is not doing.

Teksonik
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Teksonik »

Thanks for the advice. Sadly I'm quite the newbie and don't yet know what "mdm or lightdm" means. So far I still have auto login but a couple of days ago the login screen started popping up with a count down then it logs in automatically. Maybe it was always doing that and I didn't notice it at first. Adds a few second to the boot up time but not really a big deal.

I was thinking back and I think I broke auto login the first time before I did a reinstall by adding a picture to my profile. After I did that a login was required.

Anyway if auto login gets broken in the future I guess it won't be so bad. I have to login to all of my Windows computers so it's something I'm used to doing.

Thanks again for the reply. :)

holmziep
Level 1
Level 1

Post by holmziep »

Auto Login failure her too, fresh install of Mint 18.1 Mate 64 bit, about 6 days ago. Only one default user account here, that is the way we like it. During installation, I selected auto login. I have since set power properties to turn off display and suspend (both) to 30 minutes. Display setting is not changed or "appears" to be ignored... but WAIT!! don't be so sure?!? The fade down process would normally occur some fixed period before the suspend action, wouldn't it? Is this a coding-timing problem? With Auto-login on, and now i set timed login to 10 seconds... Still fade down after 5 minutes idle.

Observations (1 - 4) with comments:

Several things are unusual here: 1) The screen fade-out after just FIVE minutes of idle. Nothing I do changes that. I would have to scrub the mouse or hit a key and then I get the login panel. No countdown timer.

2) However, if I let things sit after the fade-out, the Acer display stays ACTIVE, (blue light on) for a total close to 25 minutes before turning yellow, (standby, low power mode). That seems normal, does it not? And a few minutes? later, (I lost track), the box goes into suspend properly (HD's wind down, fans off, display sleeps, etc). This part seems normal too? That is what my settings are!

3) Then I press any key to wake up from suspend, I get the login panel, no countdown timer. (I am sure THAT is not as intended.)

4) Last, when I press [fn-f2} to enter suspend manually, the Login panel APPEARS (!) for 10 seconds BEFORE going into suspend successfully. Resuming by kitting any key results as in 3) above.

FYI:I have selected no theme or slide show, just the standard black page with nice green mint 18.1. I have no screen saver selected.

I am running Linux Mint Mate, 18.1 - 64 bit loaded from a USB ISO. Otherwise runs fine on this HP Pavilion P7-1107C desktop w/ the 4 core 2.1Ghz AMD A6-3600 APU and Radeon on-board HD Graphics. (The origional win7 HD lost it's mind before I could take charge and create restore disk, and we got the Blue screen of death, but I dug another almost identical 750 G HD with low hours and Passed SMART with flying colors, can't qualify to get OEM download from MS.)

I love Mint, since v 15, getting good at terminal ops,

Here is the MDM Conf. below, output as is presently.
-------------------------------------------
[daemon]
AutomaticLoginEnable=true
AutomaticLogin=debs
TimedLoginEnable=true
TimedLogin=debs
TimedLoginDelay=10

SelectLastLogin=false

[security]

[xdmcp]

[gui]

[greeter]

Use24Clock=false

[chooser]

[debug]
---------------------------------
I am willing to research this further if you want me to, can perform most operations but may need guidance to get you what you need to see.

At your service,
holmziep

holmziep
Level 1
Level 1

Post by holmziep »

"DUH"

I think I stumbled on the most obvious thing. The screensaver. Yesss, the screensaver. Open the control center and change the screensaver settings. It says right there, a button to "Activate screensaver when computer is idle"

Duh.

Right under that one is a button to "lock screen when screensaver is active"

Duh.

I can understand why no one answered my post, because it is ridiculous that I didn't think to check the most simple explication. I am really an adult. Honest. I have just lost my mind, that's all. Simply ridiculous.

I unchecked both. I will see what happens.

If you never hear from me again, it's because I have climbed a tree and can't get down, and making howling sounds like a mangy alley cat with asthma.

holmziep.

holmziep
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Automatic login is failing in Mint 18 SOLVED

Post by holmziep »

I believe my problem is solved. Restoring from suspend resulted in NO login request.

Return to “Software & Applications”