Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: update firefox in mint 18

Post by Cosmo. »

ostracized wrote:explanation is "Clem went on holiday yesterday
Perhaps he has Mint 17.x on his private machine, in this case he will not even see the issue. :idea:
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Good news everyone. The famous Bob the Builder has added his "me too" to the original bug report: Firefox search not working and search tab does not load in settings
8945321856105445623415615612145787666 (bobthebuilder) 25 minutes ago
information type: Public → Public Security
information type: Public Security → Private Security
information type: Private Security → Public
If we can get Wendy and Farmer Pickles to join in it will be be fixed in no time.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Spyder
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Spyder »

I'm using Mint 18 XFCE. I initially noticed a problem with a huge right-click context menu that extended from top to bottom of the screen (see attached file). Then, some of the context menu items did not work.

My solution was to just download the Mozilla version of Firefox 48.0 directly from Mozilla's website, and put the firefox folder in /opt. Then I adjusted the command in my launchers to point to that, leaving the Mint version as is. All is now working normally. When the Mint version gets fixed, my launchers can be reverted.
petetong
Level 1
Level 1

Post by petetong »

found my solution for the search bar bug on Mint18 with firefox48
https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1610643

type "about:config" in adress bar and change the value of distribution.searchplugins.defaultLocale "data:text/plain,distribution.searchplugins.defaultLocale=en-US" to "en-US"
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

petetong wrote:type "about:config" in adress bar and change the value of distribution.searchplugins.defaultLocale "data:text/plain,distribution.searchplugins.defaultLocale=en-US" to "en-US"
Yes, confirmed. That fixes all the issues with search!
rhawkins
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rhawkins »

I'm still getting an error... perhaps unrelated? I have not restarted Firefox after making the suggested change. I upgraded from 17.3 > 18.
Screenshot from 2016-08-08 07-03-42.png
Update: Looks like it might be an issue with the way DuckDuckGo is being added. I can add Google and ixquick just fine. Yahoo is missing from my list, and of course can't be added from the Mint page because it's supposed to already be there. The only search engine I had after the FF48 update was "Startpage HTTPS Search", which had been my default. Actual searching with Smartpage seems to work fine, which is why I didn't notice the problem immediately.
Rob Hawkins <><
Rosko
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rosko »

petetong wrote:found my solution for the search bar bug on Mint18 with firefox48

type "about:config" in adress bar and change the value of distribution.searchplugins.defaultLocale "data:text/plain,distribution.searchplugins.defaultLocale=en-US" to "en-US"
Thank you for posting this petetong, the fix worked for me. :)
whiteEagle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by whiteEagle »

petetong wrote:found my solution for the search bar bug on Mint18 with firefox48

Changing the 'defaultLocale' as described is the solution!

I was unable to open links in a new tab through right-click, and I was unable to search from the address bar (or add search engines)

I also had the extra-long context menu on right-click, but the change in "about:config" resolved all three problems.

thx . . .

For any devs monitoring this thread, it appears the 'firefox-locale-en' update fails to reset the locale to "en=US" only.
mxgrr
Level 1
Level 1

mint18: Firefox breaks after update

Post by mxgrr »

[ merged here by admin, as describing the same issues; mind that at least the search engine issue can be solved by the user until it's fixed in the software: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=226872&p=1199512#p1199490 ]

Hi

I installt Linux Mint 18 cinnamon. (from USB Stick)
And changed graphic dirver to nvidia 340.96-0ubuntu3 (via Driver Manager)
And I activated the Menu Bar of Firefox.

=> Firefox worked fine.

Then i did:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list:

Code: Select all

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com sarah main upstream import backport #id:linuxmint_main

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports main restricted universe multiverse

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ xenial-security main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ xenial partner
Now Firefox has 2 Problems:
  • click on a link with right mouse button/Open Link in New Tab does not work now.
    (Open Link in New Window, also)
  • Firefox don't know any search engine now.
    And Edit/Preferences/Search shows no reaction.

Edit/Preferences .. Works
    clicking on Content .. Works
    clicking on Applications .. Works
    but clicking on Search .. no Reaction
Menu Bar/File/New Tab .. Works
MenuBar/File/New Window .. Works

Firefox Version is 48.0+linuxmint

Any Ideas?
Is it a Bug?
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi everyone,

Please apply the mint-artwork-common 2.0.7 update. It fixes the defaultLocale setting, and thus the issue with the search engines and the context menus.

We still have an issue with localization (which is the reason why Firefox falls back to reading defaultLocale): The en_US search engines are loaded in Firefox 48 in place of the local ones.

We'll try to fix this asap.
Schultz
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Schultz »

Just opened up Update Manager, clicked on Refresh, but I'm not getting this mint-artwork-common 2.0.7 update. I already updated Firefox and manually set distribution.searchplugins.defaultLocale from "data:text/plain,distribution.searchplugins.defaultLocale=en-US" to "en-US", is that why I'm not getting this artwork-common update?
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

Schultz wrote:Just opened up Update Manager, clicked on Refresh, but I'm not getting this mint-artwork-common 2.0.7 update.
It may be because you're using a repository mirror and it can take a couple of hours before all the repository mirrors are synced and have the update for you. You should generally prefer to use a repository mirror as updating and installing will be much faster.

If it is still not showing up for you; consider switching to a different repository mirror in Software Sources program. Or you can download the file manually from here: http://packages.linuxmint.com/search.ph ... ection=any. After downloading the .deb file double-click it in your file manager to launch the installer.
chrisuk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chrisuk »

clem wrote:Hi everyone,

Please apply the mint-artwork-common 2.0.7 update. It fixes the defaultLocale setting, and thus the issue with the search engines and the context menus.

We still have an issue with localization (which is the reason why Firefox falls back to reading defaultLocale): The en_US search engines are loaded in Firefox 48 in place of the local ones.

It's been said that you are on Holiday... if true, an excellent example of dedication "above and beyond"... well done ;)

BTW, I've checked - the fix works
Chris

Manjaro MATE - MX Linux - LMDE MATE
eura
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eura »

Running Swedish ver of Firefox, Sorry to inform that the mint-artwork-common 2.0.7 update doesn't fix this issue, also try the manual way.
But when I open Firefox I received a notice that Firefox is running? :?: Hope this will help
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

chrisuk wrote:
clem wrote:Hi everyone,

It's been said that you are on Holiday... if true, an excellent example of dedication "above and beyond"... well done ;)

BTW, I've checked - the fix works
I'm never "really" on holidays :) I was indeed completely offline and away on Sunday and Monday morning. This update was performed on Saturday and I became aware of it on Monday afternoon. We had a server issue to tackle (it's a bit complicated to explain since it's not a server you see online, but one we need to use nonetheless to push updates towards the repositories) and that's why you got this update later, around 2am Paris time.

While I go through this a bit.. I also saw somebody wonder whether I run Mint 17.3 or 18 :) Updates like these are tested in virtual machines, so here both 17.3 and 18 builds were tested on top of their respective release. I'm not sure how I missed the issue but I remember they passed the test (17.3 of course, but also 18). It was Saturday, away from the desk and on a laptop so I guess I got distracted. I still have access to these VMs so I'll check that eventually after I fix the remaining issue today.

I can think of two different ways to fix it already, so it should be done today.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

eura wrote:Running Swedish ver of Firefox, Sorry to inform that the mint-artwork-common 2.0.7 update doesn't fix this issue, also try the manual way.
But when I open Firefox I received a notice that Firefox is running? :?: Hope this will help
You've got a Firefox process running somewhere. You need to properly close Firefox and re-open it before you can see the effects of this.

If the process is rogue and you closed all windows but still see it in the process list, kill it via command line, or logout and log back in.
mxgrr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mxgrr »

Thank you

setting "distribution.searchplugins.defaultLocale " to "en-US" solved both Problems:

search engine issue and open in new tab issue.
defcon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by defcon »

For me too! *thumbs up*
Schultz
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Schultz »

I'm still not seeing this mint-artwork-common 2.0.7 update. I'm using the kernel.org mirror.

I went into History of updates and I see this: firefox-locale-en. Is that the same thing?
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

Schultz wrote:I'm still not seeing this mint-artwork-common 2.0.7 update. I'm using the kernel.org mirror.

I went into History of updates and I see this: firefox-locale-en. Is that the same thing?
My history shows mint-artwork-common updated from 2.06 to 2.07 2016-08-08 21:03
Light travels faster than sound.
That's why some people appear smart until you hear what they are saying.

Return to “Software & Applications”