Firefox URLs from windows not working in FF on MINT?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
elmarts
Level 4
Level 4

Firefox URLs from windows not working in FF on MINT?

Post by elmarts »

I have a dual boot system with Firefox existing both in windows 7 and in mint 18. I have folders on win7 drives that I can see from Mint, and some of them have URLs (file type .URL) that I have "pulled" from the Firefox address bar into these folders. They work fine as drag/drop in FF on win7, but fail miserably in FF on mint. Is there a "translation" utility to make these URLs readable in Mint's FF?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
- Elmar
Dual boot win 10 & Linux Mint
Release Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia 64-bit
Kernel Linux 5.15.0-91-generic x86_64
MATE 1.26.0
ichnaton

Re: Firefox URLs from windows not working in FF on MINT?

Post by ichnaton »

If these URL's are like file:/// and point to your windows C: drive or anything like that, you schould change the first part to whatever that drive is called in Mint. If the windows drive is visible at all, depending on the file system of the windows drive. Can you see the windows drive in Mint at all ?
fungus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fungus »

You need to create a shell script that extracts the url from the .URL files and passes then to your browser, see this: http://askubuntu.com/questions/353932/e ... -on-ubuntu when the script is working you must right click a .URL file and select "Open with" and choose the script af standard program.
Linux Mint 17.3 64bit KDE @ Asus B150M-A, i3 6100, Crucial 16GB DDR4, Crucial BX100
One bit says: YES, the other answers: NO.. Guess who's he and who's she..! ;)
elmarts
Level 4
Level 4

Post by elmarts »

ichnaton wrote:If these URL's are like file:/// and point to your windows C: drive or anything like that, you should change the first part to whatever that drive is called in Mint. If the windows drive is visible at all, depending on the file system of the windows drive. Can you see the windows drive in Mint at all ?
Yes, I can see all my NTFS drives in Mint, happily, and they reside on these drives. Changing them will make them useless in win7, though, correct?
- Elmar
MATE 1.26.0
elmarts
Level 4
Level 4

Post by elmarts »

fungus wrote:You need to create a shell script that extracts the url from the .URL files and passes then to your browser, see this: http://askubuntu.com/questions/353932/e ... -on-ubuntu when the script is working you must right click a .URL file and select "Open with" and choose the script af standard program.
This looks promising, if very intimidating :) Please check me on this: conceptually, I would need to create a batch file that is the default executable for the .url file type which extracts the actual URL from the file, invokes the browser and passes that URL as an argument on the browser executable? the process pointed to by https://ubuntugenius.wordpress.com/2009 ... g-firefox/ is rather intense, so to speak, for a non commandline person. I gather that this is not a "package" that can be simply installed, and everything "works?
- Elmar
MATE 1.26.0
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

just open them as text and copy the url without the redirect. some of these redirect from facebook or google depending how you saved them
ichnaton

Post by ichnaton »

elmarts wrote: Yes, I can see all my NTFS drives in Mint, happily, and they reside on these drives. Changing them will make them useless in win7, though, correct?
If you format the NTFS or change the filesystem type, yes, the contents will be lost indeed. As you have several, I see your solution coming, a day of moving around data till one is empty, format msdos and use that one from both systems. Good luck!
elmarts
Level 4
Level 4

[solved] Re: Firefox URLs from windows not working in FF on MINT?

Post by elmarts »

Actually, I found that WINE solved the problem, in that it opens these url files with rundll32 :)
- Elmar
MATE 1.26.0
callmejoe
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [solved] Re: Firefox URLs from windows not working in FF on MINT?

Post by callmejoe »

elmarts wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:05 pm Actually, I found that WINE solved the problem, in that it opens these url files with rundll32 :)
thank you! best use if wine i've ever found. :)

those bash scripts solutions are just too involved for me.

Return to “Software & Applications”