Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ZeonOtaku
Level 2
Level 2

Ripping DVD (and maybe BluRay)

Post by ZeonOtaku »

I have a huge library of legit movies I'd like to take with me on the road on my laptop. Only my laptop doesn't have a built-in optical drive. I could get one, but how cool would it be to rip my movies and store them digitally?

Is there a program that will do this, and maybe possibly Blurays too?
trapperjohn
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Ripping DVD (and maybe BluRay)

Post by trapperjohn »

makemkv

see
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/blu ... ate-movies

PS: Check the laws in your country
Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

Cool as in cooler? Really it depends on where you live...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripping

Netherlands: Citizens are allowed to make copies of their legally bought audio and video.

Spain: Anyone is allowed to make a private copy of a copyrighted material for oneself providing that the copier has accessed the original material legally.

"Britain: On 17 July 2015 the private copying exemption was overturned by the High Court of Justice...making private copying once again illegal".

"US: Title 17 of the United States Code generally says that making a copy of an original work if conducted without the consent of the copyright owner is infringement."

"Australia and New Zealand: A copy of any legally purchased music may be made by its owner, as long as it is not distributed to others and its use remains personal."

...and whether the original content is encrypted...

http://www.howtogeek.com/138969/why-wat ... n-the-usa/

Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) of 1998 makes it illegal to manufacture or distribute circumvention tools..."while it may well be fair use for an individual consumer to store a backup copy of a personally owned DVD on that individual's computer, a federal law has nonetheless made it illegal to manufacture or traffic in a device or tool that permits a consumer to make such copies."
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

The only ripper I know that will rip pretty much any disc is AnyDVD on Windows.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

MakeMKV to make 1:1 copies and then Handbrake to shrink the file size and covert to a desired video format (mp4 most popular).
MajorMuff
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MajorMuff »

A DVD drive won't rip BluRays tho (just sayin')
If it screams it isn't food yet.

Return to “Software & Applications”