Firefox bookmark now seems to have some type of TIMER function

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Firefox bookmark now seems to have some type of TIMER function

Post by wpshooter »

Just noticed that when attempting to bookmark a website in Firefox that the submenu that pops up to let user have a chance to change location that bookmark will be saved (i.e. vertical menu or bookmark toolbar), it now AUTOMATICALLY places bookmark on the default (i.e. vertical menu) after about 2 or 3 seconds and then closes the submenu without the user having to click on the DONE option.

Is this by design or is this a programming error ?

Have never noticed this browser behaviour before today.

Linux Mint Mate 17.3 Firefox 48 Mint 1.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Firefox bookmark now seems to have some type of TIMER function

Post by all41 »

Haven't noticed this before you mentioned it. This behaviour confirmed--but if you hover in the box it disables the timer function.
I like it like this.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

It appears to be designed to work that way automatically after a very brief pause if your cursor leaves the box. An indicator appears as a blue star to the right of the address bar when a bookmark has been saved. You can remove the bookmark via the blue star's menu.

No brownie points for that one from me.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

Does anyone know if there is a way to either turn off the timer or to change its value (length) ?

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

wpshooter wrote:Does anyone know if there is a way to either turn off the timer or to change its value (length) ?

Thanks.
tab> about:config
search for keyword.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Do a double click on the star, this should leave the dialog open.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

Habitual wrote:
wpshooter wrote:Does anyone know if there is a way to either turn off the timer or to change its value (length) ?

Thanks.
tab> about:config
search for keyword.
Tried that, so far have not been able to find anything.

Any suggestions as to what to search for ?

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

wpshooter wrote:Any suggestions as to what to search for ?
None a darn one. Sorry.

any Extenensions?
Start Firefox without any (temporarily)
  • Close firefox and open a terminal session and issue firefox -safe-mode
Observe and report. :)
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

FYI: There is a Mozilla bug report on this: Prevent the "New Bookmark" menu from timing out and creating the bookmark in a default location

Cosmo's recommendation should work. There is also a reference to triple clicking the star and getting up from your chair and rubbing your belly while patting your head .....

Every time the developers of Firefox make changes they seem to do something silly and I'm beginning to suspect they themselves do not use Firefox as their browser.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

altair4 wrote:Every time the developers of Firefox make changes they seem to do something silly and I'm beginning to suspect they themselves do not use Firefox as their browser.
What is it that they use, maybe we can all switch to that one instead of Firefox.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I believe, that there is much portion of sarcasm in the remark of altair4. I add another one: The Mozilla people don't use a browser as normal people do, but they use it as their toy; that means, not usability is the goal, but to realize the new and sometimes very strange ideas.

But even if they should use something else (e.g at end of work for their private use): They will not tell it. (Understandable, the already dramatically reduced market share would fall even quicker.)

I can tell you what I use: The ESR version of FF. So I only have to deal once in 9 months, how to handle the new inventions.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Just checked this myself and I got less than 2 seconds with the pointer clear of the box before it auto-saved.

The issue I have is that if I click on the filename, for example to remove the notification count, this instantly closes the box. Using only the keyboard (cursor keys, etc.) to select and edit the title works OK, otherwise I have to edit, or delete and then re-create, the bookmark. Another silly "feature" or is it just me? Same on all machines I think; will check later.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Software & Applications”