Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jungle
Level 2
Level 2

Evince not printing images what you see on screen

Post by jungle » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:51 am

I get share purchase notices which show details of purchases. Using my unlock code I can see the notice in Evince but when I print it out some of the share purchase template headings do not print. Had the same problem years ago with Okular which they fixed at the time (but Okular in Linuxmint 17/18 won't even give the option of entering a password to open these documents).

Have sent details of this matter to Evince but they have 'bounced' my query for some reason. If Linuxmint is going to support Evince, it would be good if Evince could print out what it opens ok and shows on screen. It really pains me to have to use Windows and Acrobat Reader to print these documents.

I have a Brother multifunction printer/scanner/copier which works fine for everything but these particular docs

All suggestions welcome.

Cheers
jungle
Last edited by jungle on Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Evince not printing images for password protected PDF

Post by xenopeek » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:32 am

Probably a good idea to test with the latest development version of Evince first. For that you can use Flatpak on Linux Mint 18 (it may also work on Linux Mint 17.x -- I didn't test that). First, add Flatpak support: http://flatpak.org/getting.html

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:alexlarsson/flatpak
sudo apt update
sudo apt install flatpak
Then you can install latest nightly version of Evince with Flatpak: http://flatpak.org/apps.html

wget https://sdk.gnome.org/nightly/keys/nightly.gpg
flatpak remote-add --gpg-import=nightly.gpg gnome-nightly https://sdk.gnome.org/nightly/repo/
flatpak remote-add --gpg-import=nightly.gpg gnome-nightly-apps https://sdk.gnome.org/nightly/repo-apps/
flatpak install gnome-nightly org.gnome.Platform master
flatpak install gnome-nightly-apps org.gnome.Evince master
The last two commands will run for a while as they download the software and install it in your home directory. BTW you can delete the nightly.gpg file after all this is done.

After completing all commands successfully you can run the nightly version (currently 3.21.4) of Evince with the command:

flatpak run org.gnome.Evince
A bug report for the nightly version will hopefully be addressed upstream.

jungle
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Evince not printing what you see on screen

Post by jungle » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:29 am

Thanks for the help.

My main computer is still Linuxmint 17.3 and the commands get me so far but ultimately fail to install flatpack. I will try your advice on my Linuxmint 18 laptop but ultimately I will want to get Evince operating on my desktop computer. I think there is an upgrade from 17.3 to 18 coming and I have been waiting for that to update my desktop.

Will get back to you. Probably tomorrow now....
Last edited by jungle on Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:18 am

Upgrade from 17.3 to 18 is open for Cinnamon, MATE, and Xfce. Instructions: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3068. For KDE you will have to do a fresh install.

jungle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jungle » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:17 am

Ok thanks. Yes, remember reading that now and not upgrading because 17.3 is working just fine and have made changes to enable my connected Brother multifunction printer/scanner/copier to work and some other changes. So sticking with 17.3 on my desktop.

Have followed your code in my linuxmint 18 laptop using the terminal. All fine until the last instruction regarding evince which gives the following response. Nevertheless, I will now try to print out my documents with (the modified) Evince and let you know what happens.

flatpak run org.gnome.Evince

** (evince:2): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to accessibility bus: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-5EOzvE8D8X: Connection refused

(evince:2): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to get the GNOME session proxy: The name org.gnome.SessionManager is not owned

(evince:2): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to get the Xfce session proxy: The name org.xfce.SessionManager is not owned

(evince:2): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to get an inhibit portal proxy: The name org.freedesktop.portal.Desktop is not owned

(evince:2): Gtk-WARNING **: Could not load a pixbuf from icon theme.
This may indicate that pixbuf loaders or the mime database could not be found.
Error registering document: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown

Despite the above, I do get Evince 3.21.4 opening.... It opens the password protected document ok. I can see all of the details of the document ok, but it won't print it out, so I don't know if it will print everything I see on the screen or not.

I have also tried Evince 3.18.2 (downloaded with the Linuxmint package manager) which similarly opens the document ok. I can see all of the text details, and it provides a printout, but the printout does not contain all that you can see. Same problem as XReader which come with Linuxmint 18.

Not sure where to go from here.

jungle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jungle » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:53 am

I have now upgraded to Linux Mint 18.3. I still can't use Evince to print out certain documents (share contract purchase/sale notices). It opens these password protected documents ok and I can see all of the detail/text on the pdf, but it still only prints the information entered into the labelled fields on the document. It won't print out the text which is part of the document template.

I still need to use Windows and Adobe reader to print out what I can see on screen.

I think it might be necessary for the Linux Mint developers to get Evince modified to provide this capability?

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:41 am

Linux Mint 18.3 comes with Xreader (Document Viewer in your menu) which while based on Evince originally, isn't Evince. Are you having the trouble with the default installed document reader of Linux Mint or did you explicitly install Evince from Software Manager? And if the latter, did you install it from the Flatpak category in Software Manager?
jungle wrote:I still can't use Evince to print out certain documents (share contract purchase/sale notices).
Do you have an example document that you can share? I would share it only with the Xreader developers (you can email to admin@linuxmint.com). Realistically, for such kind of issues ("with this file that I have it doesn't work") it's practically, if not entirely, impossible to analyze, debug or solve the issue without having a document that has the issue to test with. I'm not saying the Xreader developers will be able to fix it but for sure they won't get far unless they have a document that has the same issue as you're having for testing.

Perhaps whomever makes those documents would be willing to generate one with dummy (fake) information on it for testing purposes? And be willing to share what software they use to generate the document?

Evince isn't developed by Linux Mint but by the Gnome project. I think the Evince developers would also be interested in better supporting documents like you are having an issue with and as such, if you do have an example document you can share, it would be really good if you could share it with them also. They have a mailinglist you can sent to https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evince/Contact or you can use their bug reporting system https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evince/ReportingBugs.

jungle
Level 2
Level 2

Re: X Reader & Evince not printing what you see on screen

Post by jungle » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:31 pm

Thanks Xenopeek for the linixmint admin email address for Xreader and for the contact details for Evince (my previous attempt to contact Evince came to nothing). I do have Xreader and had had no success with this function so also loaded Evince to see if it could print out these documents with Mint 18.3. Unfortunately, neither Xreader nor Evince print out what you see on screen.

I prefer to use Linux Mint all of the time so it would be good if they can get this aspect working OK. As you suggest I will try getting ANZ Trade (formerly E*Trade) to send me a dummy document, because these are share (buy or sell!) contract notes ....

Update: Unfortunately ANZ won't/can't provide a dummy document but have sent examples of the issue (screen view vs print output) to Linuxmint admin and to Evince (private info blotted out).

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Evince not printing images what you see on screen

Post by xenopeek » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:42 am

Have you tried printing the PDF to PDF? If you select Print and instead of printing to your printer, you print to a PDF file -- how does that new PDF file look? Is it also missing text or is it complete? And if it is complete, what happens when you print that PDF?

jungle
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Evince not printing images what you see on screen

Post by jungle » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:41 pm

Good thought. Have now tried that.

Unfortunately the saved pdf lacks the same background text and prints out without that text.

Have sent the original and a printout showing what is missing to Linuxmint admin and to Evince.

Return to “Software & Applications”