Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
djashnew
Level 1
Level 1

Update manager / updating package not installed

Post by djashnew » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:19 am

Has anyone noticed the Mint Update manager selects updates to packages I don't even have installed.
I confirmed this yesterday with tomcat8 update. I have since started to use a different Synaptic package manager with the mark all upgrades button.
Is this happening to anyone else or do I have update preferences wrong?
I'm running Linux Mint 18 Sarah.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Update manager / updating package not installed

Post by Cosmo. » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:24 am

If you look into the description you will read the actual package (libservlet3.0-java), that gets updated. This is installed by default.

mingle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mingle » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:50 pm

An old thread, but I've just noticed the same issue.

Recent updates include Chromium Browser, which I do no have installed (and have never installed).

What could be the cause of this?

I haven't examined other pending updates, but I might start to look a bit closer from now on.

Mike.

smurphos
Level 12
Level 12

Post by smurphos » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:49 am

The 'Chromium Browser' was probably just the chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra package which is default if you chose to install additional codecs at installation. It's a dependency of the mint-meta-codecs-core metapackage, and shouldn't be removed unless you are in the mood for manually picking the codec packages your system actually needs. :)

Always a good idea to examine the updates though, read changelogs etc. Synpatic package properties is a easy way to look at more detailed info on packages you don't recognise.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Software & Applications”