Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
anderigs
Level 2
Level 2

netflix on linuxmint18

Post by anderigs »

Hi
read a ton of forums all over the web and trying to work out how to get native chromium to work with netflix on LM18.
Supposedly it does this natively but each time I try to start a film I get a prompt asking me to install MS Silverlight. There is no option anymore in netflix to force HTML5. Of course netflix tech support were very friendly but pretty useless.
I have tried messing also with user agent spoofers to no avail.
Anybody got it working? I will use Chrome or Firefox. No problem with both.
Would be great if I could avoid wine but if this is the only way then I will also do that.
The old netflix desktop seems to be no longer available.
Thanks for any help.
Cheers
andE
baldrick.777
Level 4
Level 4

Re: netflix on linuxmint18

Post by baldrick.777 »

Firefox 49 (the latest version) supports Netflix natively. You may have to activate drm support in preferences to make it work properly.

I use it all the time for our local broadcast networks on demand streams and it works a treat, out of the box, unlike previous versions of Firefox.

Hope that helps.
Newbies, check this out first...
Amateur Photographer - Landscapes mainly. Check my profile & gallery HERE.
Using only FOSS - Gimp AppImage | Darktable | Raw Therapee | Gimp | LuminanceHDR, and others.
Elizine
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Elizine »

Pat D
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pat D »

It seems you can now watch Netflix with either the latest Firefox or Chrome. And this works outside of country restrictions so far (at least for me still outside USA)
anderigs
Level 2
Level 2

Post by anderigs »

Hi
thanks for this info but I just couldn't get Firefox to work at all - followed all of the various steps.
BUT I have been successful and here is my how to but note this is using CHROME and not CHROMIUM so this depends on your personal politcal stance on Google:
1. you have to manually download chrome (NOT chromium!!!!! as chromium cannot handle DRM)
https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/d ... GwodgWAExg

2. installed a user agent switcher - I used this one but I guess others will also work:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... nfo-dialog

3. set the user agent string to something like:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; <64-bit tags>) AppleWebKit/<WebKit Rev> (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/<Chrome Rev> Safari/<WebKit Rev> Edge/<EdgeHTML Rev>.<Windows Build>
I did this by manually editing the Chrome-Windows setting (just paste this in) and then remembering to click the "Remember last User-Agent at startup" so that you don't have to do this each time...
Note: it is important to have a windows version that is >= 8.1 - it seems Netflix only supports Windows >= 8.1. This is somehow covered by the "Windows NT 10.0" entry.

You can check your settings worked at:
https://www.esolutions.se/whatsmyinfo

and here it is important that the following settings are there:
Installed plugins:Chrome PDF Viewer (mhjfbmdgcfjbbpaeojofohoefgiehjai)
Shockwave Flash (libpepflashplayer.so)
Widevine Content Decryption Module (libwidevinecdmadapter.so) <- this is the critical one for netflix!!!
Native Client (internal-nacl-plugin)
Chrome PDF Viewer (internal-pdf-viewer)

Then ALL *SHOULD* work...
Good luck!
andE

Return to “Software & Applications”