Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
choochooal
Level 1
Level 1

remove-old notifications no longer work

Post by choochooal » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:52 am

I'm using Mint 17.3 Cinnamon and have used the dconf editor to change the notifications to remove-old notifications after 120 seconds. And it worked for quite some time, ~8 months.

Now all of a sudden they are not clearing. Some items like drives being unmounted never did auto remove, but pidgin notifications that a contact has signed on or my backup script that I wrote that posted a "completed" notification all seem to clear after those 2 minutes. But now, withing the past few weeks, they all stay there and I have to manually clear notifications.
I've turned this feature off, rebooted, turned it on, changed the time etc. Just don't work.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: remove-old notifications no longer work

Post by Cosmo. » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:54 am

Create a fresh new user account. Can you reproduce the issue?

Which setting precisely dd you change to what?

choochooal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by choochooal » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:08 am

org -> cinnamon -> desktop -> notifications in dconf editor.
2016-10-06_07-06-58.png
Linux Mint 18.3 and/or 19.x Cinnamon 64-bit. Dual boot with Windows 10

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:24 am

What about my first question?

You might also try this test: Open the notifications settings. There is a button to open a test notification (lorem ipsum). How does this behave?

BTW: For my own experience I found the timeout setting never been reliable or really working. I have left it at default (1800). If I open the test notification it removes itself after a few seconds, although it should stay there forever, as I have set to not remove notifications after time out. When the test notifications disappears, it gets populated in the notification applet, but after 1 minute also this vanishes without any action from my side. Seems to be a bug (Using the same system as you.)

Return to “Software & Applications”