Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
t0ken407
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Vivaldi and pepperflash

Post by t0ken407 »

Pepperflash suddenly stopped working in Vivaldi. It does, however, still work in Chromium and Opera. Can anyone point me in the right direction to troubleshoot this?

Something interesting is, when I try to reinstall pepperflash, I get the following error (though the install does appear to complete):

ERROR: failed to retrieve status information from google : W: There is no public key available for the following key IDs:
1397BC53640DB551
More information might be available at:
http://wiki.debian.org/PepperFlashPlayer

I did follow the steps in that wiki, but to no avail :/
Last edited by t0ken407 on Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
ravenshadow
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Vivaldi and pepperflash

Post by ravenshadow »

It seems like Google has to update their key to pepperflash. I think i had a similar problem with the key to pepperflash a while ago and after update the key, pepperflash worked.
Linux Mint 18 x64 MATE
grizzler
Level 5
Level 5

Post by grizzler »

For the record, the packages provided by Google no longer contain the PepperFlash plugin. As the pepperflashplugin-nonfree package is using the Google package to get the plugin (unless it has been changed recently), this will no longer work. For anyone using a Ubuntu derivative, I suggest switching to the adobe-flashplugin package, available in Canonical's partner repository. Judging by the maintainer e-mail address in the control file, this is maintained by Adobe itself.
t0ken407
Level 1
Level 1

Post by t0ken407 »

ravenshadow wrote:It seems like Google has to update their key to pepperflash. I think i had a similar problem with the key to pepperflash a while ago and after update the key, pepperflash worked.
It's just weird that it still works in Opera and Chromium though :/

I'll check over on the Vivaldi forums and see if there's a symlink or something I'm missing.
t0ken407
Level 1
Level 1

Post by t0ken407 »

grizzler wrote:For the record, the packages provided by Google no longer contain the PepperFlash plugin. As the pepperflashplugin-nonfree package is using the Google package to get the plugin (unless it has been changed recently), this will no longer work. For anyone using a Ubuntu derivative, I suggest switching to the adobe-flashplugin package, available in Canonical's partner repository. Judging by the maintainer e-mail address in the control file, this is maintained by Adobe itself.

Interesting...I wonder if the Chromium versions within Vivaldi vs. Opera make this difference. I'll try that package you suggested!
t0ken407
Level 1
Level 1

Post by t0ken407 »

So I got it working with some hackery.

After reading through this thread (https://vivaldi.net/en-US/forum/vivaldi ... 1-4-589-38) I found that within the Vivaldi startup script, it's not looking for flash in the location that it actually exists, which is "/usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libpepflashplayer.so" so I simply created a symlink to it for a location that it IS looking for flash, that being "/usr/lib/pepperflashplugin-nonfree/libpepflashplayer.so" (I had to create /usr/lib/pepperflashplugin-nonfree).

I found that easier than manually editing that startup script or doing a custom startup script :)

Thanks everyone.
ravenshadow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ravenshadow »

t0ken407 wrote:
ravenshadow wrote:It seems like Google has to update their key to pepperflash. I think i had a similar problem with the key to pepperflash a while ago and after update the key, pepperflash worked.
It's just weird that it still works in Opera and Chromium though :/

I'll check over on the Vivaldi forums and see if there's a symlink or something I'm missing.

I could not run pepperflash in Opera, it wasnt in the plugin list in Opera, but Adobe Flash Player worked.
Linux Mint 18 x64 MATE

Return to “Software & Applications”