Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
fotoderek
Level 1
Level 1

Amalgamating .thunderbird files - How?

Post by fotoderek » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:01 pm

A friend, now running Mint 18 Mate-32bit, required a new hard drive, so I downloaded her .thunderbird folder to a flashdrive. The updated PC was put back into use a week ago, but I can't get to it until the weekend. She is using the repaired PC, which has created a new .thunderbird file.

My question is: how do I go about amalgamating the two profiles such that she has full access to both her old (pre-modification) emails and her recent (post-modification) mail? Is it sufficient to put the contents of the old .thunderbird folder into the new .thunderbird folder - or must the individual elements be combined independently? If the latter, is it OK to copy-and-paste the contents of the old .msf files into their new equivalents?

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere on this forum; a search query was unproductive. Anyway, I'm a Lubuntu user and there are subtle differences.

FotoD.

Moderator: Moved here from Other Topics
Last edited by WharfRat on Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: More appropriate forum

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Amalgamating .thunderbird files - How?

Post by Cosmo. » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:42 pm

What type has the e-mail account? POP3 or IMAP?

Minterator
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Minterator » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:40 am

Run

thunderbird -p

create a "new" profile that points to the old/existing profile directory.
Mint 17.3 MATE, kernel 4.11.12

fotoderek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fotoderek » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:43 pm

What type has the e-mail account? POP3 or IMAP?
Unfortunately, she has a single POP3 account.
create a "new" profile that points to the old/existing profile directory.
Thanks; that is exactly the info I need, but how is the 'pointing' accomplished?

FotoD.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:11 pm

What Minterator suggested would mean:

From the command line you enter thunderbird -p. This will open the profile manager, where you can add a new profile. In this dialog you have the possibility to point to the existing one.

The trouble with this is, that you have after this only the mails from the old profile. But from the starting post the mails of both profiles are needed. (This is way I used the word "would" in the first line.)

What you need is the Thunderbird-extension ImporExportTool. You have to install it in both profiles. Now you can export the mails from the one account and import them to the other.

In sum: Create the second profile with the profile manager, now you have access to both profiles (but only separately) and you can export / import.

fotoderek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fotoderek » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:58 pm

Thank you Minterator and, particularly, Cosmo for explaining the process and setting me on the right track. I will advise the outcome when I get back on the case, next weekend.

Thanks, again,

FotoD.

Return to “Software & Applications”