Driver question HP Compaq Laptop

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Driver question HP Compaq Laptop

Post by daveinuk »

Howdy folks . . . . . .

Just installed LM18 on an HP Compaq Laptop in UEFI mode, my first UEFI install and everything so far seems to be working OK.
This is not my machine & I'll be sending it to the friend who owns it once I'm satisfied that it is ready for them to use as they will be a 'new' Mint/Linux user so I'll be tweaking everything to make it as smooth a transition as possible.

I have been into driver manager and there was a driver available that was not in use (see image) so I have enabled it (and rebooted) I'm assuming it's for graphics as it's named as an Intel driver and is proprietary, so would anyone know if this is the better choice to stick with over the alternative version?
Maybe someone out there has the same machine, I guess I'm wanting to know which would be the trouble free choice as I'd like her to able to avoid any technical headaches if possible! Thank you

Edit: also the wireless doesn't seem as strong on this machine as my own (totally different) are there any options I can look at that might improve this?

http://i.imgur.com/erR8aCw.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Driver question HP Compaq Laptop

Post by deepakdeshp »

Hello,
You can use Glmark test with both the drivers and compare.
http://www.binarytides.com/glmark-linux ... rformance/
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

That microcode driver in your pic is for the Intel CPU, not a graphics driver. :-)
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

richyrich wrote:That microcode driver in your pic is for the Intel CPU, not a graphics driver. :-)
shows you what I know then LOL . . . . . . . I guess I'll keep it, wireless seems to have improved a bit, god knows how I haven't done anything, but I'm not knocking it . . . . . . . . :lol:

Return to “Software & Applications”