Chromium and Google Chrome crash the whole system [SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Roger Peartree
Level 1
Level 1

Chromium and Google Chrome crash the whole system [SOLVED]

Post by Roger Peartree »

This is being happening since the beginning of my Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64bits installation: when I use Chromium or Google Chrome they both crash the Cinnamon session and everything freezes. Doing Ctrl+Alt+Backspace logs me out but when I log in again all that I get is a totally black screen with the mouse pointer (but the login sound plays fine). I have to physically press the power button and reboot the PC. This always happens after 1 or 2 hours of surfing the web with Chromium or Chrome and with only 1 or 2 tabs open (!). Notice that I regularly clean the cache and cookies of both browsers. I mainly use Firefox for almost everything but since some sites don't work properly with Firefox: Twitter, AirDroid, WeTransfer, etc, (I already notified Mozilla about this) I have to use Chromium or Chrome sometimes, and since I'm there already I continue surfing. But this is a specific bug of Mint 18 Cinnamon 64bits. I have a small laptop netbook with Mint 18 Xfce 64bits and neither Chromium nor Chrome crash the Xfce session. Never. It's Cinnamon specific. You only have to see what happens after Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, as i described above, to know it's a Cinnamon bug. So I'm here reporting this bug but I don't know if anybody else has this issue. In the meantime many thanks in advance for any answer or solution proposal. My best regards.

Roger Peartree
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Chromium and Google Chrome crash the whole system

Post by trytip »

sounds like the cpu/gpu are overheating or you're running out of RAM. or could be some extensions you are using.
Roger Peartree
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Roger Peartree »

Many thanks for your help trytip but the only extension I have installed in Chrome is uBlock Origin so it's not that. It's Cinnamon. Probably it doesn't play too well with my Intel Q43/45 integrated graphics card. In Windows the Intel drivers for that GPU would crash the system (color bars would appear on the monitor so the image became corrupted and unusable) in 10 or 15 minutes, I had to use the generalist Windows drivers. About Mint 18 I had to go back to using Xfce. No problems there, I used Xfce since 2013, I can do what I want with it. I also have Mint 18 Xfce 64-bit in my netbook which has low RAM & an Atom CPU @1.67 Ghz so... After doing a fresh install with Linux Mint 18 Xfce 64-bit now I don't experience any problems at all. Pity because I do love Cinnamon but it's the only way. Thanks for your answer and have a cool day. Cheers!
hackensolo

Post by hackensolo »

Hi,
me too.....chromium and google chorme crash the whole system and I try on Debian with cinnamon and it's the same. (sorry for my english)
MosheLikesBagels7
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MosheLikesBagels7 »

I've found that using compiz & emerald themes in linux mint 18.1 mate was one of the main causes of freezing. I returned to Marco, and I also found that certain icon themes contribute to the problem of freezing. Since changing to Marco and finding an icon theme that is compatible it has very rarely frozen at all. My laptop is a Lenovo T420 I5 CPU, Intel HD 3000 graphics, 4 Gigabyte RAM.

It could be that the main problem is compiz.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

MosheLikesBagels7 wrote:It could be that the main problem is compiz.
I doubt that, as far as I know Compiz does not run on Cinnamon.

OP: have you tried SlimJet or Vivaldi? Both are Chrome based.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
elixxx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by elixxx »

Had similar problems some time ago on lowspec hardware. solution, which had helped that time, was disabling of harware acceleration in chrome (second to the last of advanced options).
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

elixxx wrote:Had similar problems some time ago on lowspec hardware. solution, which had helped that time, was disabling of harware acceleration in chrome (second to the last of advanced options).
Disabling hardware acceleration is definitely one of the most logical steps to try. :)
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... d-Chromium
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Software & Applications”