<SOLVED> For security reason Mono should be uninstalled

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KIMW
Level 3
Level 3

<SOLVED> For security reason Mono should be uninstalled

Post by KIMW »

Here https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... t/security I read that sometimes Mono is installed automatically whenever an application needs the Mono infrastructure (like media player Banshee and notes app Tomboy) and for security reason it should be uninstalled with: sudo apt-get remove mono-runtime-common. So I run that command and although I don't have Banshee or Tomboy I actually found Mono was installed. Should I really uninstall it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Distro: Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon 5.2.7
Laptop: Dell Latitude-9410. RAM 16GB. Dual core: Intel Core i7-6600U. Graphic Card: Intel Sky Lake..
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: For security reason Mono should be uninstalled

Post by BigEasy »

Everything written in https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject is only personal opinion of author.
Mono is an open source implementation of Microsoft's .NET Framework based on the ECMA standards for C# and the Common Language Runtime.
Everyone can learn it's source code and decide by himself is it vulnerable or not.
https://github.com/mono/mono
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

That is a matter of opinion. You will probably not find a final answer.
As you've seen, Pjotr (whose page you're linking to) considers Mono to be an unnecessary risk. Others feel that some risk is present, but too small to worry about. I tried to find more factual information, but have not found anything so far and I'll be interested to see if others can come up with anything substantial.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

In principle every software is attackable, especially complex runtime libraries. A software, which is not installed, cannot get attacked (obviously). If you have no need for mono, you can safely remove it. In case you want to install a mono-dependent software at a later time mono will get installed again as a dependency. Site effect of removing mono: You save the needed bandwidth for updates, which have no practical sense, if do not use it.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I've removed mono from my system. If you don't use any apps that require mono, there's no reason to keep it. But like Moem says, it's all a matter of opinion (whether to keep it or not).
KIMW
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KIMW »

For a newbie like me it's difficult to say if I need it or not...Since it was already installed perhaps I should leave, because if I remove it it might create troubles, don't you think so?

Otherwise I downloaded and installed Teamviewer from https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/linux/ BUT I discovered that TeamViewer has also installed somehow a version WINE which I read (on that same page written by Pjotr) is not a good thing. What do you think about that?
Laptop: Dell Latitude-9410. RAM 16GB. Dual core: Intel Core i7-6600U. Graphic Card: Intel Sky Lake..
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

KIMW wrote:Otherwise I downloaded and installed Teamviewer from https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/linux/ BUT I discovered that TeamViewer has also installed somehow a version WINE which I read (on that same page written by Pjotr) is not a good thing. What do you think about that?
As my name keeps popping up, I might as well add my two cents as well. :mrgreen:

The Wine developers themselves clearly state that Wine is "malware-compatible":
https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#Is_Wine_mal ... patible.3F
(item 7.4)

Note the load of misery that you're taking on when installing Wine, up to and including the need for antivirus.... :shock:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

KIMW wrote:For a newbie like me it's difficult to say if I need it or not...Since it was already installed perhaps I should leave, because if I remove it it might create troubles, don't you think so?
Except Banshee and Tomboy there are no other Mono-dependent programs installed by default. If you don't need them, you don't need Mono. If you later want to install a Mono-dependent software and Mono has been removed, it will get installed again. Removing Mono is no one-way-ticket. Linux or Mint themselves don't need it.

Teamviewer and wind is a quite different story and deserves a separate thread.
KIMW
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KIMW »

Strange, I don't have have Banshee and Tomboy.
I ran: "sudo apt-get remove mono-runtime-common", and got:
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
fonts-liberation libmyth-0.27-0 libmyth-python libva-glx1 libxml-libxml-perl
libxml-namespacesupport-perl libxml-parser-perl libxml-sax-base-perl
libxml-sax-perl libxml-simple-perl libxml-xpath-perl pwgen python-imdbpy
python-lxml python-mysqldb python-urlgrabber wmctrl
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED
libmono-corlib4.5-cil libmono-i18n-west4.0-cil libmono-i18n4.0-cil
libmono-security4.0-cil libmono-system-configuration4.0-cil
libmono-system-security4.0-cil libmono-system-xml4.0-cil
libmono-system4.0-cil mono-4.0-gac mono-gac mono-runtime mono-runtime-common
mono-runtime-sgen
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 13 to remove and 15 not to upgrade.
After this operation, 29.8 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
Should I click: Yes

@Cosmo
I just open a new topic for Teamviewer and Wine here: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=234044
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Type y and press enter.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Software & Applications”