Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Baldlygo
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Reverting Flashplayer version

Postby Baldlygo » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:44 pm

Ever since taking an update last month (Flashplayer - 23.0 r0) my Firefox does not run the front-end (lobby) of card games at games.com. A computer that was not upgraded (Flash - 21.0 r0) still works ok. The problem is not serious enough for me to run a two month old Systemback but please can anyone tell me how I might simply get back 21,0 r0? Can I copy across anything from the other PC that works on the older version?
Both running Mint 17,3 Cinnamom.
Thank you

************************************************************************************
Edit:- My problem disappeared this morning after taking the latest Firefox update :D .... so it was not a Flash problem at all :(
I have marked this as solved - thanks for the help folks.
Last edited by Baldlygo on Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dell Inspiron R15 - Mint 17.3 Qiana

grizzler
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Reverting Flashplayer version

Postby grizzler » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:02 pm

Firefox won't work with anything other than the 11 series flash player *), so trying 21 makes no sense.

The best course of action would be to install the adobe-flashplugin package from Canonical's Partner repository. This is maintained by Adobe and (also) provides the most recent 11 series plugin.

Baldlygo
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Baldlygo » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:00 am

grizzler wrote:......
*) unless you're using the PPAPI to NPAPI translator freshplayerplugin or Adobe's NPAPI beta.

Thanks grizzler - yes I am using the wrapper. As I said above the un-upgraded pc still works ok showing Flash - 21.0 r0 in the Firefox addins. What is even more bizarre is that I can run the game lobby in Chrome (which shows 23.0 r0) but Chrome no longer has the Java support to run the actual games. The update pc Firefox still runs the game if I go into it direct but refuses to run the lobby which needs the flash.
Maybe the aol games have a bug which causes my problem and will be corrected later. Maybe I should stop worrying about this silly problem and get a life :D ... or worse :( reboot in windows 8 which still runs it ok.

grizzler
Level 5
Level 5

Postby grizzler » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:51 am

Well, if you use the freshplayerplugin, trying the 21 version does make sense. You should be able to copy it across. Be aware that a version that old is bound to have a lot of security holes, so it really isn't something I would advise anyone to do.

I tried to visit games.com, to check whether my 23 had the same issues (I also use the wrapper), but that site wants me to enable a lot of javascript related junk urls - and then disable my adblocker! Nope. Not going to happen.
Last edited by grizzler on Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baldlygo
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Baldlygo » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:23 pm

grizzler wrote:I tried to visit games.com, to check whether my 23 had the same issues (I also use the wrapper), but that site wants me to enable a lot of javascript related junk urls - and then disable my adblocker! Nope. Not going to happen.

I think you will find that they just ask to disable things like adblocker but still allow the games to be played, We run games with adblocker enabled. Different card games are coded differently. Our favourite is Canasta and Canasta for Two which we have been playing over three years requires flash and java plugins. Another game, Hearts does not need the same and although looks very similar runs ok on my Firefox.

If it is just a single .so file to move then I might try and copy it across.

Return to “Software & Applications”