Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
KIMW
Level 3
Level 3

Easiest way to remote access a computer

Post by KIMW »

I downloaded and installed Teamviewer from https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/linux/ BUT I discovered that TeamViewer has also installed somehow a version of WINE which I read is not a good thing to do for security reasons. If you don't recommend it then what is the easiest way to remote access a computer (Linux Mint) from iPad and Windows environment? Thanks in advance for your help.
Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 KDE
Laptop: Dell Latitude-E7470. RAM 16GB. Dual core: Intel Core i7-6600U. Graphic Card: Intel Sky Lake..

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Easiest way to remote access a computer

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

the software program TeamViewer is the most commonly used program,
when trying to remote into another machine - - yes - it is using a version of ./wine
but - it's no less secure than any other use of ./wine

otherwise use SSH - as suggested above.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi "KIMW",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

I think that "Teamviewer" is one of the best, most effective, and one of the easiest to use "remote control" and remote desktop access software applications there is. But, in Linux it installs an always running "daemon" (teamviewerd) that I do not particularly care for, unless that has changed recently.

You might consider installing and using the excellent "nomachine" remote desktop application. You just download the appropriate easy to install Linux ".deb" file (32-bit or 64-bit), and double click that file to install it, if it does not start installing automatically.
https://www.nomachine.com/download/linux&id=1

Then, there are numerous other remote desktop programs (rdp) and vnc type applications as well, "remmina", Krdp (or Krdc), etc...

And as was already suggested, there is "SSH" (openSSH) which is also an excellent way to remotely and securely access other computers. Although, setting up SSH correctly is a little more involved than the other methods.
SSH
http://pclosmag.com/html/Issues/201102/page18.html
"You can also run GUI applications from the remote computer, right on your desktop, without having to have those applications installed on your local computer."

Setting Up a Home Network with Linux Mint (works for businesses too)
https://www.maketecheasier.com/setting- ... inux-mint/

How To Configure SSH Key-Based Authentication on a Linux Server
(Tip: the "Seahorse" Passwords and Keys desktop application can easily make "SSH keys as well)
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... nux-server

Hope this helps...
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 2 in 1, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics. I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

absque fenestris
Level 8
Level 8

Post by absque fenestris »

phd21 wrote: You might consider installing and using the excellent "nomachine" remote desktop application. You just download the appropriate easy to install Linux ".deb" file (32-bit or 64-bit), and double click that file to install it, if it does not start installing automatically.
Hi there!
I am also look for some remote access software (supporting relatives and friends on OSX & Windows :shock: )
As I delete every MS related stuff from Mint (e.g. Mono, Wine) > NO Teamviewer.
AnyDesk webside > öööh, NO!
Nomachine > O.K. looks fine - is this company serious?
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

well, I've tried out both AnyDesk & nomachine
& whilst they both do work - IMHO it's Teamviewer that does work better.
or at least - easier.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!

absque fenestris
Level 8
Level 8

Hi Pierre!

NoMachine is installed now on my Mint-Netbook. As soon as it is installed on Mac's and PC's I will give a feedback.

Regards
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

absque fenestris
Level 8
Level 8

Supplement:
as I saw on some tutorials SSH should not be a big problem on OSX. I will try it also.
But on Windows? This special stuff from Redmond hate me & vice versa...

mitchellk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mitchellk »

I've been using Teamviewer for some time, no problems whatsoever and it is secure.
Visit me at Ubuntu101 and Github

absque fenestris
Level 8
Level 8

8 years ago I used Teamviewer on Ubuntu-Studio to give a friend some support on OSX. It was perfect and also the Teamviewer-supporter was very kind and fast when I had a problem.
But now I want pure Linux on my Netbook without any back doors to MS :lol:

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

just tonight, I'd remoted into a win-10 PC,
in order to assist a friend, who was having issues with Office 365 renewal.

as my TV install on this PC is still TV.10 & it'd take too long to update TV,
so I'd run up AnyDesk and used that to check out his situation.
- while I was there - downloaded TVQS onto his desktop, for easy access, next time.
this dude is not that PC savvy, but still managed to get the AD up & running A.ok.
- which is a bit easy to achieve than getting TV up & running.
but - my preference is for TV, so I'd always leave a copy of TVQS on the desktop, for convenience sake.

absque fenestris
Level 8
Level 8

Hello forum!

Nomachine installed on LM 18 (Mate) and OSX 10.7 : No troubles with Desktop and Data sharing (both ways)
Installation is easy on both platforms
Next step will be installation on Windows 10...

barneyblogggs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by barneyblogggs »

Ive downloaded and am now running nomachine.
Excellent.

barneyblogggs

murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

mitchellk wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:33 am
I've been using Teamviewer for some time, no problems whatsoever and it is secure.
Teamviewer used to work really well for me but lately whenever I use it I get told "Commercial use suspected" and then it limits me to 5 minutes of use. I only ever connect from my LM machine to a Windows XP machine that I own at another location.

I tried NoMachine and couldn't get it to connect (it installed ok on my Windows XP machine and it appears to be running ok, but it just refuses to connect). Not sure if I need to set up port forwarding or something like that, but I never needed to do that for Teamviewer.
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD

RIH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by RIH »

murray, I managed to get nomachine to connect my 2 computers on the same network by following their instructions here:
https://www.nomachine.com/getting-start ... -nomachine

& if I can do it I suspect just about anyone can. :D

There is a section following the same network ones on the above link for connecting via the Internet, which I guess is what you need to do.
I have not followed those instructions myself though..
Host: bob-Aspire-TC-705 Kernel: 4.15.0-101-generic x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 7.4.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.4.8
Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic

murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

RIH wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:04 am
murray, I managed to get nomachine to connect my 2 computers on the same network by following their instructions here:
https://www.nomachine.com/getting-start ... -nomachine
Yup, those are the instructions I followed. I can't remember the exact error message I received when I tried to connect but it was along the lines of "can't find remote computer".

Maybe there's a firewall blocking it or something, I'll have to investigate further.
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD

Return to “Software & Applications”