Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
vistad
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] CyPS/2 Cypress Trackpad Driver

Post by vistad » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:48 am

I have lots of problems in my new laptop, like suddenly the cursor jumps to another application or the text gets instantly selected and deleted. The Trackpad identifies as CyPS/2 Cypress Trackpad and generates lots of insane signals.
Last edited by vistad on Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:10 am, edited 6 times in total.
LM19-64 Mate, i7-6770K fanless Thermalright HR22, Asus Maximus VIII Gene, 32Gb RAM, NVMe SSD Samsung 960 PRO M.2, 25Gb ext2 /, 1GB swap, the rest is ext4 /home, Vbox Win8.1-64

vistad
Level 4
Level 4

Re: CyPS/2 Cypress Trackpad Linux Driver is needed badly

Post by vistad » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:27 pm

I have created bug report https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1645011
I contacted the Cypress guy in charge of trackpad drivers - he told me the identification of the Trackpad as Cypress device is false, as they know who they sold their trackpads to.

Then the seller had sent me a few commands to fix the problem - they provide not a bug fix, but a workaround to reanimate the Trackpad:
sudo modprobe -r psmouse
sudo modprobe psmouse proto=imps
sudo gedit etc/modprobe.d/options

After the first 2 commands Trackpad became identified as ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse and started working. The 3rd command opened gedit for saving that config in etc/modprobe.d/options file to load it on boot.

I searched the web and found that I should create file with extension .conf, like etc/modprobe.d/trackpad.conf (root, 644) and put there a command:
options psmouse proto=imps

This solution worked for other people, but it did not work for me. It did not load the configuration - trackpad did not turn into ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse. Why?

I also tried to create trackpad.sh (root, 755) file in /home and assign it to be run on boot through Control Center / Startup Applications. It did not work either - trackpad did not turn into ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse. Why?

So far I could not load that config on boot. Guys, you can see my input in the bug tracker. I'd be most grateful if you tell me how to do that.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by vistad on Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
LM19-64 Mate, i7-6770K fanless Thermalright HR22, Asus Maximus VIII Gene, 32Gb RAM, NVMe SSD Samsung 960 PRO M.2, 25Gb ext2 /, 1GB swap, the rest is ext4 /home, Vbox Win8.1-64

hiwent
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] CyPS/2 Cypress Trackpad Driver

Post by hiwent » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:36 pm

Hello, thank you for the post!
I have faced with the same problems.
I found solution through Ubuntuforums: you need to edit Grub file..
In my case it worked.
But be carefull and make it in your own risk!
There is the link to the solution: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... comments/9

Return to “Software & Applications”