Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tomliotta
Level 2
Level 2

Clonezilla error explanation?

Post by tomliotta »

DestDisk.png
I have an internal 320GB drive that I'd like to clone to a 320GB drive mounted via USB adapter. I'm running Clonezilla from a LM 18 install USB (i.e., I booted from LM 18 USB, installed Clonezilla into it, temporary, via Software Manager). Yes, I know that's not a particularly common thing to do, but it seemed possible when I started.

Clonezilla runs, lets me select source and destination drives for a device-device clone, then fails with an error that doesn't seem to make sense. The destination drive looks this way in the Disks utility:

See disks Image

I select sda as source and sdc as target, and what happens is:

Code: Select all

mint@mint ~ $ pkexec clonezilla
Clonezilla mode is device-device
Setting the TERM as xterm-256color
Starting /usr/sbin/ocs-onthefly at 2016-11-26 00:02:55 UTC...
Shutting down the Logical Volume Manager
Finished Shutting down the Logical Volume Manager
Excluding busy partition or disk...
Excluding busy partition or disk...
PS. Next time you can run this command directly:
/usr/sbin/ocs-onthefly -g auto -e1 auto -e2 -r -j2  -f sda -t sdc
This command is also saved as this file name for later use if necessary: /tmp/ocs-onthefly-2016-11-26-00-03
Press "Enter" to continue... 
setterm: terminal xterm-256color does not support --blank
Error: Can't have a partition outside the disk!
Unknown partition table format for file /tmp/ocs_onthefly_local.zGzbq3/src-pt.parted!
Program terminated!!
Press "Enter" to continue......
Given that the two drives are the same size/type, what's the meaning of "Error: Can't have a partition outside the disk!"?

I had first tried creating an ext4 partition over the entire destination drive and doing an image copy of just the first partition sda1 (309GB, also ext4 and only 20% used), but got the same error. There shouldn't be a probably fitting such an image into a 320GB partition.

I'm wondering if the odd method of installing (temporary) into a running copy LM 18 USB is somehow the cause. Not sure why it'd be significantly different from installing to a Clonzilla Live USB. But the "Unknown partition table format..." message seems suspicious.

I'll probably create a Clonezilla USB, but my curiosity has me stuck right now. Maybe I just don't have enough Clonezilla experience. I usually use HD Clone, but I've been using an older version and it isn't running properly on this Lenovo ThinkPad W510 laptop when I boot with it. Figured it was time to learn Clonezilla.
Tom

For LM12: Old IBM T22 laptop, 512MB, 40GB HDD (w/LMDE12 dual boot), CD-RW/DVD, USB 1.1 and on-board Ethernet
For LM16: IBM ThinkCenter M52, 4GB, 500GB HDD (w/WinXP dual)
Lenovo W510 ThinkPad,Core i7, 12GB, 320GB HDD (LM17.3 64-bit)
and 2 others.

bjmh46
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Clonezilla error explanation?

Post by bjmh46 »

You can never be sure that the 2 disks are exactly the same size. Even 2 brand new seemingly the same size, brand etc. disks can often times differ in size. All it takes is a bad block that has been hidden to render a disk a different size. Even one block difference on the destination disk will throw an error in clonezilla. Also much better to install clonezilla to a thumb drive and run from there.

Bob

tomliotta
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Clonezilla error explanation?

Post by tomliotta »

bjmh46 wrote:You can never be sure that the 2 disks are exactly the same size.

That's supposedly the explanation even if every common method of querying the devices shows exact equivalence and other freeware cloning utilities work fine. After finding this explanation in multiple forums in posts about Clonezilla, I just went ahead with creating a new HDClone Live USB free edition and used it with no problem.

Clonezilla has more options than other utilities that I use, so it's good to have available. It's just this one little nagging irritation that keeps it from being my go-to option for straight cloning. Clonezilla is the only one that's ever reported this for me.
Tom

For LM12: Old IBM T22 laptop, 512MB, 40GB HDD (w/LMDE12 dual boot), CD-RW/DVD, USB 1.1 and on-board Ethernet
For LM16: IBM ThinkCenter M52, 4GB, 500GB HDD (w/WinXP dual)
Lenovo W510 ThinkPad,Core i7, 12GB, 320GB HDD (LM17.3 64-bit)
and 2 others.

Return to “Software & Applications”