Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
miketurn
Level 1
Level 1

Up To Date Software and Applications

Post by miketurn » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:49 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am sure this site doesn't need more questions of software being up to date, but I hope you can bear with me for a second and maybe answer some specific questions I have regarding the matter.

For my examples I will stick to talking about the Firefox Web Browser, but I have noticed similar differences with many programs.

I am currently using Linux Mint 17 (Cinnamon) and it is packaged with Firefox 28.
When I go into the Software Manager and look up Firefox it shows that the last available version is 28 and that it is installed.
The current version of Firefox available at the moment I believe is 48 (by the time many read this they will probably be on version 86, oddest software number system I have seen, but anyways)

QUESTIONS
1.) Do different numbered versions of Linux Mint access different Software Manager based on compatablity? Like does Linux Mint 17 access a different Software Manager than 18?

2.) Is the Software Manager linked to Linux Mint Install, the best, most up to date place to find software?

3.) I have read that it takes time to prepare software to be compatible with Linux systems, but I thought Firefox specifically creates releases for Linux already, and you can download them from their site. The difference in versions is quite far apart though, 28 compared to 48, why would a newer version not be available in the Software Manager?

I would prefer to use the Software Manager over using the Terminal if possible.
Like I said I have noticed many programs that seem to be way behind as far as version numbers within the Software Manager so I was just wondering if I am doing something incorrect in my methods.

Thank You to anyone who reads this

kc1di
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Up To Date Software and Applications

Post by kc1di » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:24 pm

Hi miketurn and Welcome to Mint,

According to the repository Firefox should be at version 50 for mint 17. If your software manager is not showing it. you most likely need to update it's cashe.

you can do that a few ways.
1. go to software sources, click on one of the servers and hit cancel then hit the refresh tab.
2. go to synaptic package manager and click of the reload button
3 Go to a terminal and enter this command :

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
When finished go back to software manager and check for newer packages.

Also in a working system the update manager should offer you newer packages for most installed programs unless they break other things. In that case they will be held back.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:31 pm

You should have received a new version of Firefox about every 6 weeks via the update manager. I wonder, if the computer is really connected with the Internet? Is this the computer, where you posted from?

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:42 pm

miketurn wrote:1.) Do different numbered versions of Linux Mint access different Software Manager based on compatablity? Like does Linux Mint 17 access a different Software Manager than 18?
It is not the Software Manager - it is the repository that is different. Each different version of Mint has a different "repository" where the programs for that version are stored.
miketurn wrote:2.) Is the Software Manager linked to Linux Mint Install, the best, most up to date place to find software?
The programs available in the repository have been approved for that particular version of Mint, and can be considered safer than getting programs elsewhere.
Many experienced users, including me, do install some programs from other sources, but you have to be careful about where you are getting them.

As for Firefox, if I were intent on having the latest Firefox, I would get it from the ubuntuzilla PPA.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/ubuntu ... =directory
I have used that PPA for years, with no problem.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:37 am

kc1di wrote:Hi miketurn and Welcome to Mint,

According to the repository Firefox should be at version 50 for mint 17. If your software manager is not showing it. you most likely need to update it's cashe.

you can do that a few ways.
1. go to software sources, click on one of the servers and hit cancel then hit the refresh tab.
2. go to synaptic package manager and click of the reload button
3 Go to a terminal and enter this command :

sudo apt-get update
When finished go back to software manager and check for newer packages.

Also in a working system the update manager should offer you newer packages for most installed programs unless they break other things. In that case they will be held back.
That's pretty much what I was thinking. You should always update sources before installing anything. I've always used LTS ubuntu or mint except for hardware support reasons and always had up to date browsers even though my release is 2 or 3 releases old.

I always use Synaptic or the terminal tro install, usually Synaptic because it has good search and history functions.

If you're using a long term release version ... and mint 17/18 are LTS ... you are not going to get the latest version of everything. In Linux there's a bit of a conflict between being totally up to date and being stable. I go for stable. Adding ppas etc to get newer versions is going to cause reliability problems if you don't know what you're doing.

For browsers (or anything that accesses the internet really) then yes, you do want up to date versions. Which I get in mint or ubuntu. For other apps I don't necessarily care. I use a couple of ppas for newer versions of SMplayer and VLC than what's in the repos for HEVC playback. That's it.

If I wanted the latest version of everything I wouldn't be using Mint or Ubuntu. I'd use a true rolling release distro like Arch. Those distros, however, are meant for advanced Linux users. I.e. they're COMPLETELY unsuitable for Linux novices. You will break something on an update at some point with a rolling release and the users on their support forums don't do noob hand holding.

miketurn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by miketurn » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:19 pm

Thank You guys for all the responses.

I believe I ended up running the updates for every method recommended by all of you guys and each one ran a list of updates.

TERMINAL
I ran the update through this first, hoping it would update the Software Manager, it did run updates somewhere but not to the Software Manager.

SOFTWARE MANAGER
The main way I was installing programs was through the "SOFTWARE MANAGER" which is where I noticed the older versions being available.
After running the updates the software available through the "SOFTWARE MANAGER" still shows the older versions, not really sure why.
I prefer this method just because I kind of like the interface for it, I like that you can see more info about the software as well as review ratings.

SYNAPTIC PACKAGE MANAGER
I knew of this manager, but to be honest I can't really remember checking this method before running the updates for it, but now when I go into it this method was undated and DOES show newer versions available. Although I like the Software Managers GUI better, I am okay with using this method.

Thank You guys again for all of your help
If anyone has any more ideas to getting "Software Manager" to update I would still be willing to test them out, but at least I now have a way to update some older software I am using throught the Synaptic Package Manager.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:52 am

Software Manager and Synaptic are the best ways to install new software, but you also have an Update Manager. There should be a shield icon in the panel at the bottom of the screen, near the right hand side. If the shield has a green check mark in it, you are up to date. If it turns blue, there are updates available.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:44 am

miketurn wrote: TERMINAL
I ran the update through this first, hoping it would update the Software Manager, it did run updates somewhere but not to the Software Manager.
Which command did you use to do this?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

miketurn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by miketurn » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:58 pm

The one mentioned by a few members above

sudo apt-get update

Return to “Software & Applications”