Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Wadeford
Level 1
Level 1

Using an IDE in Linux for C programming

Post by Wadeford » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:06 am

Hi everyone!

So I've finally got my new PC up and running, and am about to install Mint. I'll be spending most of my time programming with C. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice regarding the best IDE to use with Linux specifially for C programming. I've installed and used Netbeans in the past when programming in Java, so I'm happy to use that again if you think it best. However I'm open to anything at this point.

(Note: I *will* be using either vim or emacs as well, but I would also like to install a dedicated IDE)

Wade

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Using an IDE in Linux for C programming

Post by xenopeek » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:38 am

It really depends on your needs. Will you be doing GUI development with Gtk or Qt? Then respectively Gnome Builder and QtCreator are likely nice IDEs. For KDE perhaps KDevelop as alternative to QtCreator.

For general C programming it is a combination of your needs & preferences and how well the various IDEs meet those and what compromises you are willing to make. Here's a somewhat recent article summarizing major points for a good list of IDEs http://www.tecmint.com/best-linux-ide-e ... e-editors/.

Wadeford
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wadeford » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:58 am

Thanks for your reply :)

Honestly, right now I'm just learning C to broaden my knowledge of programming languages. As I said, I learned a bit of Java previously, so I thought C would be a good way to complement that, and a good gateway to exploring C++. Eventually I would also like to explore Fortran and Python (I've heard they are frequently used in various fields of physics - I'm a physics student), but they're down the road aways.

Do you know if it's difficult to link the GNU c compiler either IDE's in Linux? I installed Cygwin on my Windows PC and couldn't get Netbeans or Eclipse to compile and run my C programs (though Code:Blocks seemed to work out of the box).

Wade.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:34 am

You just need to install build-essential package from Software Manager to get the C compiler stack installed. I'm not that familiar with the various IDEs and C development to answer what else you need to do or which IDE makes this easiest. The major IDEs for Linux will likely all have a project template to set up the build configuration files for you. But if you're just getting your feet wet with C development I think your default installed text editor will suffice along with running gcc from the terminal to compile your simple programs.

Python along with NumPy may be more useful to your field of study. C is a lower level language; you need more lines of code to do that same as in Python. Similar to how Java is a verbose language and also needs more lines of code to do the same as in Python.

pdhunter1987
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pdhunter1987 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:04 am

Hello Wadeford,
I don't program with C but for what it's worth, my best friend is doing game development with C++ on windows using "code blocks", fits his needs well.

Not sure if it will be what your looking for but it's worth trying out, you will find it in the "software manager" in Linux Mint.

Search "code blocks".
-----------------
pdhunter1987
Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64bit
sudo apt install LinuxMint

Nic-Mint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nic-Mint » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:55 am

I am a sysadmin and middleware guy, but I know the DEV guys here all work on Eclipse, with different modules. And since they do multiple languages, what they learn is useful for all.

Some use a basic editor with syntax highlighting and good old make files for compilation. Depends how "deep" you want to get with your Linux command line. You say you will be using vim and/or emacs, look up Kate for a basic editor with nice features. Not an IDE but does the job.
Mint 19-18 over VirtualBox over Windows 10 -- at work, no choice :-(
Mint 19 on old laptop at home, my choice :-)

deleted

Post by deleted » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:36 am

Wadeford wrote:Hi everyone!

So I've finally got my new PC up and running, and am about to install Mint. I'll be spending most of my time programming with C. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice regarding the best IDE to use with Linux specifially for C programming. I've installed and used Netbeans in the past when programming in Java, so I'm happy to use that again if you think it best. However I'm open to anything at this point.

(Note: I *will* be using either vim or emacs as well, but I would also like to install a dedicated IDE)

Wade
You can use Netbeans for C/C++. I do.
You just have to install gcc/g++, gdb. I *think* make (or is it cmake) is already installed. Netbeans will tell you.
-H

Wadeford
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wadeford » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:55 am

Thank you everyone for your replies. Some food for thought!

Return to “Software & Applications”