[SOLVED] Virtualbox: USB Support in Ubuntu, Not Mint

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LaneLester
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Virtualbox: USB Support in Ubuntu, Not Mint

Post by LaneLester »

I'm trying to configure 64bit Mint to be my main OS instead of 64bit Ubuntu, and so far, so good.

I use Virtualbox to run a W2K guest in Linux.

With Virtualbox running in Mint, I learned the hard way the official version wouldn't work, but the Sun version would. However, the USB device support is grayed out. It worked in Ubunut, so I'm hopeful of getting it to work in Mint. Do you have a suggestion of how I can enable USB support?

USB support works fine in native Mint, just not Virtualbox.

Lane
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lane Lester
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Virtualbox: USB Support in Ubuntu, Not Mint

Post by altair4 »

If your getting the following error:
Could not load the Host USB Proxy Service (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND). The service might be not installed on the host computer.
What worked for me was the following:

Open Terminal
Type grep "vboxusers" /etc/group
THIS GIVES YOU SOMETHING LIKE 125
edit /etc/fstab by adding:

none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgrid=125,devmode=664 0 0
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
LaneLester
Level 2
Level 2

Post by LaneLester »

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not getting an error message. It's just that under Devices, USB Devices is grayed out.

But your post got me to put my brain in gear and do some more looking. I found that I had failed to enable USB support in the machine settings. :oops:

Lane
Last edited by LaneLester on Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lane Lester
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

This may be s stupid question but where is the USB support grayed out?

When you select the Virtual machine in the VBox application and select "Setting" then "USB" you should see a checkbox that states "Enable USB Controller". Is this that part that grayed out? Or is it in Win2K that it is grayed out?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
LaneLester
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [SOLVED] Virtualbox: USB Support in Ubuntu, Not Mint

Post by LaneLester »

Well, we're both online at the same time I see. And as you see, your latest post was correct in pointing out the error I had just discovered. :D

Thanks again for the help.

Lane
Lane Lester

Return to “Software & Applications”