Chromium codecs and mint-meta-codecs removal

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
User avatar
sfrusciante
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:15 am
Location: Italy
Contact:

Chromium codecs and mint-meta-codecs removal

Post by sfrusciante » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:37 am

I wasn't able to find any explain to this questions around so I post it here:

When I install Chromium in a fresh LM 18.1 via App Manager, it requires me to remove a bunch of preinstalled codecs (my fault, I don't remember precisely what codecs: I recall they had chromium in their name). Why is that?

Moreover, if I install the package of free Chromium codecs it is required to remove Mint codecs:
chromium_codecs.png
so: why is that again? I don't understand.

I read that chromium-codecs-ffmpeg allows me to use HTML5 protocol. It means that mint-meta-codecs doesn't come along with HTML5?
I got a crazy number of people to disappoint. -me

jwiz
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:59 am

Re: Chromium codecs and mint-meta-codecs removal

Post by jwiz » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:08 am

Check if you have the chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra installed and you're fine,
This package replaces the chromium-codecs-ffmpeg for chromium-browser (<<44)

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23
Posts: 17829
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:34 am

Re: Chromium codecs and mint-meta-codecs removal

Post by Cosmo. » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:45 am

sfrusciante wrote:it requires me to remove a bunch of preinstalled codecs (my fault, I don't remember precisely what codecs: I recall they had chromium in their name).
To find out, what you had removed:
Open synaptic and open from the file menu the history. Go to the date & time, when you installed chromium. All packages, which have been added or removed at the same time are listed there.

User avatar
sfrusciante
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:15 am
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: Chromium codecs and mint-meta-codecs removal

Post by sfrusciante » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:00 pm

Cosmo. wrote:
sfrusciante wrote:it requires me to remove a bunch of preinstalled codecs (my fault, I don't remember precisely what codecs: I recall they had chromium in their name).
To find out, what you had removed:
Open synaptic and open from the file menu the history. Go to the date & time, when you installed chromium. All packages, which have been added or removed at the same time are listed there.
It's kinda strange because I have no record of installing/removing packages on the day I installed Chromium (20th of December):
cronologia.png
jwiz wrote:Check if you have the chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra installed and you're fine,
This package replaces the chromium-codecs-ffmpeg for chromium-browser (<<44)
I actually have chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra installed, but not chromium-codecs-ffmpeg.

So if I runs Chromium 55 I should be fine, right?

But why (eventually) installing chromium-codecs-ffmpeg makes me delete mint-meta-codecs and mint-meta-codecs-core?
I got a crazy number of people to disappoint. -me

Post Reply

Return to “Software & Applications”