install programs

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
viking777

Re: install programs

Post by viking777 »

Hi K3k1985. Welcome.

As a brand new Mint user your best bet by far is to open the start menu and look for Mint Install. The first time you use it it takes a long time as it downloads a lot of information about various programs. When it has done this once it will start up much more quickly the second time. Anyway, leave it to do its download and when it has finished you will find details of about 450+ programs that you can install to your hearts content.

If that isn't enough for you then you need 'Synaptic' which is also lurking in the start menu. How many packages you have in here depends how you have it set up but at the moment I have about 26,500 listed - that should keep you going :lol:

But start with Mint Install.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

The easiest way to add new software to your Mint installation is either via Synaptic Package Manager or mintInstall.

The first time you run mintInstall, it has to download lots of pictures and descriptions, so 15 to 30 minutes may not be unusual depending on your Internet connection. If you are really new to Linux, mintInstall will help you in your decision-making process since all the different application names and features might be confusing.

If you already know what you want, you can use Synaptic Package Manager to download and install what you want. Synaptic works fairly quickly, and I tend to use it regularly.

As you get more familiar with Linux, you may move on up to the command-line installations. Linux has all features available in different ways depending on your skill level.

It is my suggestion, that you being a recent convert, is to NOT go out on the Internet and try to download packages from other websites or sources. The Mint repositories have the packages that are specifically designed to work with your particular Mint install. If you stick with what Mint has, you will be much more successful.

Also, as an aside, when you update, please use mintUpdate with Level 1 and 2 packages enabled. You can use some or most of the Level 3 Ubuntu packages. Only you can make the decision as to what you need. The Level 4 and 5 packages really should not be attempted until you really have been working around with Mint and Linux for a while. Even though Mint uses Ubuntu packages, it is not Ubuntu.

You should have smooth sailing with Mint. Welcome, and have fun.

Edit: Chad and Viking type faster than I do. :D
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Ah, well, sometimes that error happens. It is nothing to worry about. The message even tells you what to do.

In your Terminal, you need to enter the command: dpkg --configure -a

I am not sure, but you may have to use: sudo dpkg --configure -a

I have only had this happen one time, and it was not with Mint. Usually this might mean some repository was offline or there was a transmission error somewhere between you and the server. It could be several things. Anyway, run that command and post back if something else goes all wonky. I think you should be OK, though.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

How does it not work? Do you mean the line is blank after you type? If so, it is supposed to be blank. Key in your password and press enter. Hopefully, that is all you need to do.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

It is normal to not see anything on the screen where your password is. It can be unnerving at first, but just something one gets used to. :D
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Ah, good. You got it straightened out. Now, if you would share the packages / programs are you wanting to install, we can get everything downloading, hopefully.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

K3k1985 wrote:I downloaded the realplayer trough real website, to my sektop, but then how can i use install through mint install?
You can't.
Mint install only installs the packages that it lists itself, not those from elsewhere. I wouldn't say that it is a bad thing, but it is not the normal thing to download packages from elsewhere - that is the Windows way and this is Linux. The Linux way is much easier and safer.

Real player is in Mint install. You open mint install type the word 'real' into the search box then have a look at the results. Highlight real player and click install that is all you need to do.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

viking777 wrote: I wouldn't say that it is a bad thing, but it is not the normal thing to download packages from elsewhere - that is the Windows way and this is Linux. The Linux way is much easier and safer.
The "Windows way"??? Hmm, sometimes you must or want install something and it's not in the repos so you will have to seek a .deb somewhere or why not perhaps, if you know to make it, to compile it from source...This is not something unusual even under Linux... :roll:

And "much easier and safer"? Hmm... :wink:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
viking777

Post by viking777 »

The "Windows way"??? Hmm, sometimes you must or want install something and it's not in the repos so you will have to seek a .deb somewhere or why not perhaps, if you know to make it, to compile it from source...This is not something unusual even under Linux..
It is not unusual for me or you, but the OP is a complete Linux newb and at that stage I would suggest it is not really the best thing to be doing.
And "much easier and safer"?
Yes I would argue that. Downloading a apackage from an official Mint/Ubuntu repository has got to be better than getting it from "dodgyronsfreestuff.net" which is what a lot of Windows users do. As for ease of use, the only way Mint could make things easier than Mint Install is to send a software engineer round to your house with every package downloaded :lol: (it would be good for jobs in the IT industry I suppose :D )

Return to “Software & Applications”