Is anyone having issues with Firefox Developer Edition?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
MrPollard
Level 1
Level 1

Is anyone having issues with Firefox Developer Edition?

Post by MrPollard » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:32 am

For about the past month I was successfully running Firefox, Firefox ESR and Firefox Developer Edition on Linux Mint 18 Sarah, this morning everything launched as it should I have Atom Firefox Dev and Thunderbird launch upon login. Except when I went to launch another instance of Firefox Dev it was no longer in my menu bar and launching from the CLI launched an instance of plain Firefox. I have uninstalled all instances of firefox, added the supposed PPA of the Firefox Developer Editon and re-installed but that installs the Firefox 50.2 for mint.

Is anyone else experiencing an issue similar to this? If so is there a workaround? What other information can I provide if anyone has thoughts on where to start troubleshooting?

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Is anyone having issues with Firefox Developer Edition?

Post by Flemur » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:07 pm

MrPollard wrote:For about the past month I was successfully running Firefox, Firefox ESR and Firefox Developer Edition on Linux Mint 18 Sarah...launch another instance of Firefox Dev it was no longer in my menu bar and launching from the CLI launched an instance of plain Firefox.
So you have three firefox installations? All installed with apt/synaptic/etc ?
Do they all launch with "firefox"?
Could they be over-writing each other, or the different firefox excutables appearing in different places in the $PATH ?

FWIW, I have three firefox profiles, and launch FF with a given profile by making a one line script (executable) for each one:
"firefox_default" = "/mnt/WINE/firefox/firefox -P profile.default -new-instance"
Installed from https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/, so I can put the firefox executable wherever I feel like it. If I wanted different versions of FF I'd stick them in /mnt/WINE/firefox2 or some such.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

MrPollard
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Is anyone having issues with Firefox Developer Edition?

Post by MrPollard » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:51 am

Do they all launch with "firefox"?
Yes, they do, looking at the desktop entries.
So you have three firefox installations? All installed with apt/synaptic/etc ?
Firefox developer has to be "installed" from a tar.bz2, (the internets state that it's really the aroura release channel) but the UI is slightly different.
the process I used to install Firefox ESR and Firefox Developer;
1. Download and extract the tar's
2. I move the contents to something like /usr/local/firefox_[FFEDITION]
3. then in ~/.local/share/applications/ i create a firefox_[FFEDITION].desktop
with the desktop entry details and I reference the respected /usr/local/firefox_[FFEDITION] for each.

It's been awhile since I looked into this issue and I'm going to make another run at fixing it again today.

Return to “Software & Applications”