Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
songhuijohn
Level 3
Level 3

Overdrive application for Linux

Post by songhuijohn »

I find the application Overdrive very useful - provides me to a great interface with my library and a great interface to read books on my Windows 10 laptop and my Samsung table. From all my searching it appears that there is not a Linux Overdrive version. Is there a similar Linux application that provides this type of interface to libraries and books?

The lack of Linux support for Overdrive and Garmin Express are the main two reasons stopping me from getting rid of my Windows computers.
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon, Mobo MSI A68HM Grenade, AMD A8-7600, 4GIG DDR3 1600, SSD Patriot Blast 120 GB

jonnymoon96
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Overdrive application for Linux

Post by jonnymoon96 »

I know what you mean about garmin express currently crossover Linux does not support garmin express but I have never tried over drive but if you have zero desire to pay there is always winehq the software but codeweavers does offer a triel version for you to test.
Software you want to use and if it works or not before you pay

Or you can run android applications on linux using an android emulator although this method can slow your computer down such as Andy Android or if you want an open source version them you have to go with android studio
Minimum requirements for Andy android
Dual core AMD or Intel CPU with Virutalization support

3Gb of RAM; Andy uses less than 1Gb while running apps

At least 10Gb of free disk space

GPU with OpenGL 2.1 support

Windows 7 SP1 / Windows 8.1 / Ubuntu 14.04+ / OSX 10.8+

As far as garmin express support I can't do much there except vote for support of the applaction on crossover linux or set up a go fund me page to support the expensive development of crossover support for garmin express I have thought about doing it myself but never did however the codweavers company charges $150 dollars an hour

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

songhuijohn wrote:The lack of Linux support for Overdrive and Garmin Express are the main two reasons stopping me from getting rid of my Windows computers.
Three suggestions for you:

1) Contact Overdrive and Garmin and complain that they have no Linux version. Repeat as needed.

2) Try installing Overdrive in Wine. Wine will run some Windows applications, but I don't know if it will run Overdrive or not. Worth a try.

3) Try installing the Android version in Chrome with Archon:

https://www.linux.com/learn/installing- ... nux-archon

https://www.maketecheasier.com/running- ... -on-linux/

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

songhuijohn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by songhuijohn »

I started to use the vine solution.
Installed vine.
However, I immediately ran into a roadblock - The windows version of overdrive I want to install can only be gotten from the Microsoft store via Windows 8.1 or 10. and can only be installed using these versions of Windows.

Is there any way around this roadblock?

Also, I see vine does not support Windows 10.
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon, Mobo MSI A68HM Grenade, AMD A8-7600, 4GIG DDR3 1600, SSD Patriot Blast 120 GB

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

songhuijohn wrote:I started to use the vine solution.
What is "vine"? What is "the vine solution"? I don't find anything called "vine" available to install in Mint 17. If you give us some clue of what "vine" is, we might be able to help you.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

songhuijohn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by songhuijohn »

Sorry - a typo - should have been Wine solution as suggested in a previous post

Return to “Software & Applications”