Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Fabio7891
Level 2
Level 2

Alternative iTunes on Linux Mint 18.1

Post by Fabio7891 »

Hi everybody !

I'm searching a libraries media like iTunes with whom I can buy copyrighted music and upload it on my iPod shuffle.
No Wine or Playonlinux. They was driving me crazy.

I have tried Banshee but when I connect it to my account Last.fm and I try to buy copyrighted music... I should download iTunes :x
I have tried Amarok, Clementine... Isn't there a normal marketplace for songs in Linux ?
I use Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon Tessa - 64 bit

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Alternative iTunes on Linux Mint 18.1

Post by jimallyn »

Apple does everything in their power to prevent people using Linux from using any of their services, including iTunes. I would buy a music player made by somebody else, that supports copying files over from your hard drive without any proprietary software. I figure if Apple doesn't want Linux users to buy their products, who am I to argue with them?

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

jonnymoon96
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jonnymoon96 »

The free software foundation has a fantastic resource for buying DRM Free products including music http://defectivebydesign.org/guide/audio thankfully you are not required to agree with their philosophy to use their resources

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Post by MintBean »

If you can live without app integration, there are tons of places to buy commercial digital music online.

bandcamp.com
bleep.com
junodownload.com
amazon.com

Amarok is supposed to be the best for uploading to iPod. Personally I much prefer something like the Sansa Clip + which supports a wider range of music formats and can be accessed like a simple USB drive, but I know for others nothing will do but Apple.

Return to “Software & Applications”