Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
RobertX
Level 3
Level 3

Your Opinion on 17.3

Post by RobertX » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:35 pm

I've recently upgraded to 18.1 and found that remastering 18.1 to be a damn snowstorm.

The sole reason for upgrading is for improving the performance of the VLC media player, and nothing else.

Now your opinion: is that a justifiable reason, and should I switch, or should I have stayed with 17.3 since nothing really breaks down from there?

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Your Opinion on 17.3

Post by Cosmo. » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:02 pm

I stay wit LM 17.3 and I will stay at least as long, as a 18.x versions runs without all the existing problems (bugs, regressions).

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:06 pm

My 17.3 install works fine, so I haven't updated it. However, when I install Linux on a computer for a friend, I use 18. How's that for a "definite maybe"?

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

all41
Level 14
Level 14

Post by all41 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:41 pm

Another for 17.3 - my entire network.
I do have 18.1 on an experimental system--but I do not think I will change everything over for a while.
There are yet a couple of issues that I need to hash out as time allows--
but no problems with multimedia, vlc, or dvd playback--at all
The same can be said for 17.3

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:01 pm

one of the "issues" with upgrading to a 'new LTS' is that some of the "upstream bugs",
have not always been fully ironed out, yet.
- which can be a little surprising, to say, the least.

so, some OPs deliberately wait, for a later dot point release of that LTS,
but the main issue in doing that, is that you then lose some of the time frame that the LTS has.
& if you did follow that theory, then you wouldn't switch to LM 18x until LM 18.1 was released.

yet others would say, that the best release, would be the mid point release, ie: LM 17.2 ..
- those OPs are chasing even better stability, of course, & won't change again, for a few years.
which would, again, bring them back to a mid point release, ie: LM 18.2 ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

RobertX
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RobertX » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:27 am

You all seem to still use 17.3.

Is there a point to install 18.1 at the moment?

all41
Level 14
Level 14

Post by all41 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:05 am

RobertX wrote:You all seem to still use 17.3.

Not unless you know it will address a specific issue.
Not to repair your system.
Not unless there is a specific feature you have to have.

Many here do not upgrade to the latest-greatest just because it exists.
The guru/ninja/top-guns do because they have gained the knowledge by experience
to overcome unanticipated issues.
Most of us watch for awhile.

RobertX
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RobertX » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:12 am

How about you?

all41
Level 14
Level 14

Post by all41 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:19 am

RobertX wrote:How about you?
I remain a watcher for now

lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:56 am

On the one hand, I want/need more current user applications (verses system applications). But on the other hand, I'm using KDE (which requires a new install) and I'm not sure Plasma is up to a productive robust environment level yet. There is always VM's for that. When I converted to Linux Mint, late 2015, it was with the intention of staying on 17 until April 2019. I've cautiously installed some PPA's and/or compiled as needed. System reliability and security is the most important, and I'll figure the rest out :-) Have you identified something specific in vlc that perhaps could be addressed some other way, maybe... Is it possible to bite the bullet and fix whatever problems that you are having with 18... You'll be set till 2021 LTS. I always plan a week for upgrades to customize, learn new commands, and add/remove/fix scripts and procedures, so I don't like to do them often :-)

If you click on Linux Mint 18 on the download page, click "Read the release notes" and then either Cinnamon or Mate (whichever you have installed), there are links to "What's New".

LeBoy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LeBoy » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:53 am

I've been using 17.3 since release date and I am super happy with it. No reason to change a running system. However since I have a couple of SSD's to spare and an easy multiple-boot GRUB setup I also installed 18.1 from scratch on a separate disk to "try it out."

After using the 18.1 for a while I can say:
  • Some corner are prettier than 17.3. You would have to look close to see those.
  • It fixes some minor issues present in 17.3. You would have to look even closer to see those.
  • It brings some minor function improvements. Check the Release Notes (https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_serena_cinnamon.php.)
  • It introduces at least one new minor bug: Audio Visual Effects in XPlayer don't work (viewtopic.php?f=47&t=236718.) Who cares?
Every time I have some free time in my hands I configure my 18.1 installation a little bit more and when it's fully operational for my daily use I will just switch completely and retire my 17.3 installation. But for anyone who doesn't have the time or patience for this I wouldn't recommend an upgrade since it brings no "real" gain in productivity.

Please notice that a fresh installation was the only upgrade option for me since upgrading my current 17.3 installation didn't work out. The upgrade simulator brought too many broken and/or missing dependencies.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:16 am

Happy 18.1 user here. :)

If you wish to upgrade to 18.1, I have these tips:

- Do a clean installation of 18.1, don't upgrade in-place from 17.x;

- The bèta of 18.1 Xfce is, in my experience, currently the one with the least risk of problems. Even though it's still in bèta, it's very good.

Of course you can safely continue to use 17.x for years to come, but it's nice to have the latest and the greatest....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:43 am

RobertX wrote:Is there a point to install 18.1 at the moment?
No, but several points to keep 17.3. I see them in my test systems.

RobertX
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RobertX » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:59 pm

The reason I asked is that I tried to upgrade to 18.1 and didn't succeed in remastering it.

I used Systemback and what came out of it is an OS that stops when opening a Firefox browser that will close when opening the Adblock Plus add-on.

I'm not here to ask for tech support, but I have found the versions after 17.3 a pain to remaster. Systemback seems to be the best one, but still pauses here and there.

Thank you.

trytip
Level 10
Level 10

Post by trytip » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:21 am

linux/mint/nate/17.3 64bit here and will stay with it till it dies. i don't use VLC any longer i find it as bulky as the new firefox. and alternate to it is smplayer with mplayer/mpv ... mpv is a simple GUI media player, simple i mean by design but very powerful. smplayer can use mplayer or mpv as it's video engine so basically smplayer is a "skin" for mplayer or mpv

ps: don't like the xed apps <<< too minimal and the xed text editor doesn't allow external tools yet, i hope will become available

Jaydemir
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Jaydemir » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:58 am

I use 18.0 on my Laptop.

Really the major differences lie in the Ubuntu base used in the system, as mint 17.3 used a pretty much perfected Ubuntu 14 base, and 18+ uses a "work in progress" Ubuntu 16 base.

That being said, there are some perks to running 18:
-Significantly newer versions of software (even software not included in the repo before like Skype and Kodi)
-Out of the box drivers for Intel integrated graphics
-Upgraded UI elements and presentation

But then there are flat out stupid things, like how dvdlib-pkg was left out, basically axing DVD support out of the box. It can be easily installed with apt-get, which makes me question why it was removed in the first place.

Overall, 17.3 was so massively stable and awesome, that it really set the bar of expectations high for 18+. Anytime I switch someone over to Linux, I always install Mint 17.3 (XFCE or Cinnamon depending on hardware) because I know it'll just work the way the average user expects it to.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:29 am

Jaydemir wrote:Overall, 17.3 was so massively stable and awesome, that it really set the bar of expectations high for 18+. Anytime I switch someone over to Linux, I always install Mint 17.3 (XFCE or Cinnamon depending on hardware) because I know it'll just work the way the average user expects it to.
In my experience, that high quality level has already been achieved in the bèta of Xfce 18.1, even though it's still a bèta. Cinnamon is not quite there yet. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:43 am

The sole reason for upgrading is for improving the performance of the VLC media player, and nothing else.
Because you think Mint18 is better or faster than Mint17 or because the version on VLC offered in Mint18 is newer?

It it's the latter you could stay with Mint17 and install VLC directly as an AppImage.

** Download the VLC Appimage: https://bintray.com/probono/AppImages/VLC#files
** Double click the xxxxx.AppImage "file"

There is no installing or un-installing an appimage. It contains within it all of the dependencies it needs to run so it will load by itself and you can test to see if it's better than the one you currently have installed. If it's not just delete the file.

For more on AppImages: http://appimage.org/
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

NChewie
Level 4
Level 4

Post by NChewie » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:39 am

RobertX wrote
All41 replied
Not unless you know it will address a specific issue.
I agree, for production systems.
However I have a spare laptop and thought I would update just to see what the new features were like. To my surprise, 18.1 had support for my old Dell's internal wifi card, so I no longer needed to use a dongle. :D
So I am glad that I updated it.
I will leave my daily workhorse on 17.3 for some time yet though...

EDIT:
But reading below: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=237439
... some users of 17.3 may be on kernel versions which have not implemented a patch to remove "Dirty Cow" and may not realise the need to manually update the kernel, while (as Pjotr stated in that thread)
All this has changed in Mint 18 and 18.1. You have to select one of three update policies; two of those, including the one that's preselected by default, give you newer kernels. In case of the preselected policy, only when they contain security fixes, which is nearly always the case.
...so if you are installing the OS for someone else, you can set it to be a bit more secure with 18 and 18.1.
Toshiba Satellite Pro C650-191 LM19.1 Cinnamon

Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:34 pm

I don't have 17.3 but I installed it last year on a neighbours computer who was still running XP, the Xfce version. She is still happy with it and keep using it until her computer breaks down. Other people where I installed Mint 17.x or even 13 made the switch to 18, some on their own, some with my help. They really love it.
“Only when the last tree has been cut down, the last fish been caught, and the last stream poisoned, will we realize we cannot eat money.” ― Cree Indian Prophecy

Return to “Software & Applications”