Safe to remove Rhythmbox Pidgin and others?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Quexos
Level 2
Level 2

Safe to remove Rhythmbox Pidgin and others?

Post by Quexos » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:41 am

Does anyone know if there is any reason not to remove unwanted (in my case) programs like Rhythmbox, and Pidgin? Are they in anyway linked to the system or have needed libraries, etc? I find Rhythmbox especially annoying since I prefer Deadbeef instead, and Rhythmbox adds extra junk/bloat to the notification area audio icon. Pidgin I just have absolutely no use for and see no point having it sitting there.

While I am on this topic, I'd also like to remove Xed/text editor (I use Mousepad), and Pix. Safe or no?

grumpy_geek
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Safe to remove Rhythmbox Pidgin and others?

Post by grumpy_geek » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:31 am

Quexos wrote:Are they in anyway linked to the system or have needed libraries, etc?
To begin with, simulating those programs removal (as user; no sudo) ought to give you an impression of the chances you're about to take...

Code: Select all

apt-get --simulate purge pidgin*
apt-get --simulate purge rhythmbox*
apt-get --simulate purge xed*
apt-get --simulate purge pix*

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:53 am

At first: You want a safe answer, but without telling the Mint version and the desktop environment this impossible.

I assume in this case that you run 18.1; otherwise there would be no need to remove rhythmbox.

You can in any case remove rhythmbox and pidgin. You can in principle also remove xed, but it might show in the longer run, that the one or other comfort function might be missing.

Quexos
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Quexos » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:30 pm

Whoops, sorry about that. It's 18.1 Xfce.

Thanks for the simulate command, I was not aware of that one yet. They seem harmless enough to remove, guess I'll just give it a try for a while. I have backup images made if something goes bad later.

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Post by MintBean » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:25 am

It's usually when people use wildcards with the purge or uninstall command that issues occur. If you avoid that and just remove the top level application, you shouldn't have any problems. You can then clean up orphaned packages with autoremove.

Example:
Application a depends on packages a1 and b.
Application c depends on package a1.

If we purge a, it leaves a1 and b behind. Now we autoremove. b is orphaned so that is removed, but a1 is still used by another application, c so is not removed.

Now with the scattergun approach- we purge a* that removes a but also a1 which is also caught by the wildcard, however application c which also depended on a1 is now bust. We should not complain as the system gave us exactly what we asked for.

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:35 am

Look at these in synaptic package manager. Right click the package and choose properties. There you can see both dependents and dependencies
as well as the installed packages and many details. Use this to decide.

Return to “Software & Applications”