Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
spider
Level 2
Level 2

K9copy how to record DVD "Solved"

Post by spider » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:23 pm

hi, I heard K9copy for mint was like DVD shrink.
not sure how true it is but, i'm not sure if I'm doing it right.

Can some one give me step-by-step instructions on how to work this program.

just to make sure I'm doing this right! :D

I maybe doing right.. not sure.

Thanks again.

spider
Last edited by spider on Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamesthelibertine
Level 2
Level 2

Re: K9copy how to record DVD

Post by jamesthelibertine » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:34 am

Ozz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Ozz » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:09 pm

Nice link,

I would also recommend this :

http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/213/59/

You will find a nice detailed, "screenshoted" way to use K9

spider
Level 2
Level 2

Post by spider » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:21 pm

hi Ozz, I try it and it didn't work for some reason.

I put my DVD in the Drive and setup the same way the "GUI" the link you sent me.

I have it in my video files now which K9 did copy those files to my video folder but" it keeps saying that there isn't enough space on the blank DVD. which is 4.7gb sony when i try it on K3b"

am I doing something wrong or is it the program :?: :(
please get back.
Thanks again !
spider :)

rbanavara
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rbanavara » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:37 pm

looks good, need to read this during free time!
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it -Husse

spider
Level 2
Level 2

Post by spider » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:47 pm

ok.. I did try to use K9copy and all... the only software that will work is DVD shrink and Nero.

I just need the DVD decrypter to work for me.it says "no device detected"!

can you help me get this program to work anybody :?: Ver number is: 3.5.4.0

Thanks again!
Steve :)

slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:10 pm

Using K9copy for shrinking dvd's say into DIVX/XVID, HR264 formats has for me at least not been too successful. K9copy does however reproduce an entire dvd that will fit on a single layer 4.4g disk very well by getting rid of some of the menu's and different languages. For smaller shrinking I use an app called Acidrip that works very well with XVID, etc type formats. For me this app works almost by itself with the default settings, but READ the man pages anyway to tweak it to your needs. It is available in your package manager and I think maybe at the Linux Mint software portal as well.

This may help:
open K9copy> click on help button> click on K9copy handbook. (please see screen shots) The handbook has some pretty good info on how to use this app. I believe most problems with apps are system specific. You can also check the man pages in a terminal by typing:

Code: Select all

man k9copy

and for acidrip (if you have it installed)

Code: Select all

man acidrip
You can simply hit the "q" key to quit the particular man page or just close it. Hope this helps.... :)

Screenshots:
screenshot20.png
screenshot20.png (88.5 KiB) Viewed 3391 times
screenshot21.png
screenshot21.png (151.84 KiB) Viewed 3391 times
screenshot22.png
screenshot22.png (72.75 KiB) Viewed 3391 times

spider
Level 2
Level 2

Post by spider » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:57 am

HI slider, Thanks for the reply, I already put Acid rip on my PC today and it does work great.

Better then Most apps anyway. However, Do you know how to get the DVD Decrypter to work or will Acid rip work Like a Decrypter too :?:

Thanks again! :)
spider

atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Post by atlef » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:22 am

To get K9Copy to work, follow these instructions.

1: Make sure libdvdread3 is installed.
2: type this in the terminal: sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/install-css.sh

And that should do it.

atlef.

spider
Level 2
Level 2

Post by spider » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:04 pm

Thanks for the info about K9copy, but nobody sends me info about DVD Decrypter. I have been having trouble getting that to work.

Thanks again! :)

spider

slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:47 pm

@ spider

Im sorry I cant give you more detailed help with DVD Decrypter. I only use Linux Mint. DVD Decrypter is a M$ windows app I believe but there are some "how to's" on the web were people have used it on Linux with Wine or Crossover. Im also not really sure of what OS that you are running because you have not posted any of your system spec's. Im posting a few links here that you can follow below so that you can choose which ones actually apply to you.

http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/dvddec.htm

http://www.mrbass.org/dvdrip/

http://www.mrbass.org/linux/ubuntu/dvdshrink/

Some History: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_Decrypter

Google searches:
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0026834153 ... &sa=Search

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0026834153 ... &sa=Search

Im sure some other forum members who are also windows users will provide more info from their actual use of this app.

I hope this helps you at least a little bit.............. :)

tgc

spider
Level 2
Level 2

Post by spider » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:26 pm

hi Slider, Thanks for the reply... i haven't check it all out but I will.

DVD decrypter keeps saying "device not detected" is this program broke or did I set it up wrong :?:

Here is the info as for my specs...

I have Nvidia 6200 AGP
Maxtor HD 80gb
CPU 3gb

here more...

Thanks again!
spider
Attachments
Screenshot-1.png
Screenshot-1.png (79.31 KiB) Viewed 3297 times

slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:02 am

@ spider

It sounds like you have a great system.

I wish I could answer that question whether the program is broke or not or simply misconfigured. So many things come into play when it comes to this type of operation. Compatibilities, disc quality, burner/reader quality, etc. I believe it will help you if you can follow some of the links that Ive already posted when you get time. I take it that your trying to run dvd decrypter on a M$ box right since you havent mentioned Crossover or Wine? A really good forum that may be of more help to you for M$ apps is Doom9 org which specializes in dvd apps.
Here: http://forum.doom9.org/

It is for M$ users using that platform OS and the apps designed for them. Remember Im a Mint penguin and I do not use M$! :lol: ***yells "YES" loudly***

As for as Linux, Acidrip should do the job that you want done.

This is what I use to make legal backup copies of my own dvd's:

K9copy= to make a dual layer dvd9 fit on a standard single layer dvd5. (I dont use it for full shrink)

Acidrip= to make a full shrink of a dvd9 to an xvid, x264, etc. These become an ".avi" file extension that i can keep and play on my PC while maintaining an extremly good video quality. Acidrip has not had any problems doing any decrypting when Ive used it. Works great for me.

Always make sure that you have "lame" (mp3 encoder" installed in your system.

Do good research and take your time and you should be able to get things fixed....

tgc :)

atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Post by atlef » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:03 am

Maybe you want to try Handbrake as well.

atlef.

spider
Level 2
Level 2

Post by spider » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:37 pm

Hi Slider, I did check out those Links and I did also forget to tell you I am using WINE.... I was also told you can use DVD decrypter with Linux as long as you have wine installed.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DVDShrink

are you telling me that Acidrip is the same or almost as DVD Decrypter :?:

I have a duel boot system with XP pro but I'm trying to get Linux to work w so I can stay on this side more which I have been doing.
If there is a game that Linux doesn't except then I'll use XP :)

Thanks again!
spider

spider
Level 2
Level 2

Post by spider » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:55 pm

Hi atlef, I haven't had time to read what that was about or it is a DVD decrypter or not... how ever, I don't know what Linux to download anyway because I am new.

I did look into the Wine Forum and post my Message there sine it is a wine app or can work with wine.

I'll read that when I get time and thanks! :)

spider

spider
Level 2
Level 2

Re: K9copy how to record DVD "Solved"

Post by spider » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:41 pm

I went into Wine and configure it to Windows NT 4.0 and DVD Decrypter work.

My kids destroyed most of my DVDs and I wasn't going to let them do that to "Spider-Man" or more DVDs I have :lol:

Thanks for everybody s help!
you guys are great.

spider :D

slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:37 pm

@ spider
Yes for me at least.

I used K9copy to backup "The Incredible Hulk" (which is a brand new movie for the most part and is highly encrypted with DRM) which worked ok for a dvd9 to dvd5 conversion but the program had problems doing a full shrink to xvid format. Acidrip however did a great job converting to xvid with no problems. Both programs work great, but for different purposes according to what type of conversion you are wanting to do. This has been my experience which may just be typical to my specific system or not.

Wine is known to do some great things. My research of it has shown that it either works or it dont, and sometimes just a bit of tweaking makes the difference in making it successful. Of course that is true with most computer programs in general. :D

As for me I try to always use "Linux only" programs to get the job done, but I do feel that cross platform research is valuable, which is why I have Crossover installed for research purposes. The only real use Ive had for it has been to run IE-6 for one site that I use that does not let their users do certain things unless they are using a M$ browser. (Ive emailed them and asked them to update their system to real world standards) :lol:

All things considered , it really shows and speaks how great Linux has become, Linux Mint in particular! Gotta love it!

Well Im glad that you got things working on your system, and if no one has already said so, "Welcome to Linux Mint Community"!

We have a great Dev Team and a lot of great knowledgeable users here who simply inspire me to try to become like them........

Enjoy! 8)

jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jhouse59 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:21 am

slider wrote:@ spider
... Acidrip however did a great job converting to xvid with no problems...
I've used AcidRip also. If I leave the settings to default it does alright. Thats leaving the bitrate set at "lavc". I've got a DVD player that will play avi files. It wont play the files with the lavc format. But, when I use "xvid" settings the movie is jumpy. Have you had this problem? If so what kind of settings do you use? I'm making an avi file with k9copy now. But, the movie is going to be over a gig. I like Acidrip because the movies are smaller. The one I'm making was 541.2 MB in AcidRip. It plays good. Just the jumping thing.

slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:53 am

@ jhouse59

Hi! and no I havent experienced any jumping due to "acidrip". Usually jumpy video is caused by not having the right driver or a driver thats been corrupted. However if your system is working fine in other video apps there may be another cause, which we need to find. Does the video play back ok in other players? Did you try it in a different system to check it there? Does the video jump in the Acidrip preview window?

*Maybe by DVD player you mean a regular stand-alone unit? Please keep in mind that even though formats are claimed to be similar, disc's and players vary quite a bit and arent always compatible.

Here is line-5 output from the Acidrip man page:

5 - Choose video output

Select the desired video output. lavc (FFMpeg’s avcodec libraries) is the default choice. Despite what you
might assume "vcodec=mpeg4" relates to divx4/5 encoding, trust me on this one..! Many people prefer Xvid
encoding, it’s up to you of course. Set any options specific to the selected output in the options box below.
See the relevant entries in the mencoder manpage for the full selection. Only defaults for lavc are provided.
The three main codecs can also use 2 pass encoding, select the option if you wish to encode the film twice to
improve quality.

You should also check the bitrate here. This value is based on the desired file size and the selected audio
bitrates. You may wish to enter your own bitrate and lock the value using the check box to ensure that it is
not changed. This naturally means that the file size can not be guarenteed.

As you can see "lavc" is about the same as xvid. Have you read the man pages?

Here is line-7:

7 - Scale film

The final output dimensions of the film can now be set. By default the height is locked against the width set‐
ting in line with the aspect of the video (including any cropping to be applied). The scaling of the film is
most likely to affect the BPP (Bits Per Pixel) values of the file. For a typical divx film you want about 0.17
- 0.20. A value higher than this just wastes space: divx just doesn’t *need* it..., a lower value and the out‐
put is blocky and poor. By adjusting the width of the film you can affect the BPP value directly. Obviously
file size and crop values can also affect the BPP among others.

I too use the default settings for everything except the scaling. This may sound strange, but I have found that on some discs i have to play with this a bit and experiment to get the scaling right like I want it to the size Im trying to get. Notice above where it says "blocky and poor". Is this maybe what you mean instead of jumpy? Please read those parts of the man page and let me know ok. These settings can be found on the video tab in Acidrip.

Check for errors in the small output field at the bottom of Acidrip window while it is running. You could also run in terminal as well and watch the output.

I'll be happy to help you anyway that I can. I think maybe just a little more specific info will help me and other users to do that...........

tgc

Return to “Software & Applications”