Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
YoMan
Level 2
Level 2

Grub Customizer

Post by YoMan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:13 pm

A week or so ago, I opened Grub Customizer to see what it would do. Very disappointing. I was able to change the Grub screen font to something more readable, but anything relating to color was a no go. I didn't try changing the list order or anything else like that. I subsequently read some posts here relative to problems with Grub Customizer messing things up. While everything is currently working OK, I'm wondering if I should be following any of the posted fixes to remove the few changes I was able to make?

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Grub Customizer

Post by Cosmo. » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:25 pm

The trouble with GC is, that it does some changes inside of one of the related folders. After those changes it is near to impossible to revert. Good luck with this system.

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:32 pm

Yes, Grub Customizer can be quirky. I've found for my laptop, only a few custom resolutions work. If the resolution wasn't right, changing the color didn't work.

It's really trial and error. Try changing only one item at a time (like Highlighted: Font), Save, and then see if that worked.

It took me quite a while to get mine changed. Here's my grub menu:
Capture_001.jpg
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

YoMan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by YoMan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:36 pm

The trouble with GC is, that it does some changes inside of one of the related folders. After those changes it is near to impossible to revert. Good luck with this system.
I assume from your answer that "update-grub" won't revert it back to the way it was. Actually, as long as it continues to function properly, I don't care it it reverts. What are the chance that it will cause problems of some sort later?

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:43 pm

No, update-grub will not revert it.
YoMan wrote:What are the chance that it will cause problems of some sort later?
Throw a coin. The less you change anything, the lower the risk.

thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:55 pm

Grub Customizer has been an extremely useful tool for me. I'll be lost without it as I constantly add/delete and install distros, Mint and non-Mint, to my crowded multi-boot system.

I don't ever change the default theme. I leave it the way it is similar to EasyBCD; just plain low resolution system text. The only item I modify is the number of seconds in the "Boot default entry after" in the General Settings tab. I also make sure the "custom resolution 640x480" is checked in the Appearance settings tab. I don't need the bling. Fact that there is a tool such as Grub Customizer is enough for me.

I just recently found that there is a deb version in the author's site and can be installed by clicking it without extra dependencies. I used to type the PPA in the terminal every time I need it.
Last edited by thom_A on Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:07 pm

YoMan wrote: I was able to change the Grub screen font to something more readable, but anything relating to color was a no go.
I dumped Grub Customizer because I did not like what it did to my Grub configuration files.
What change did you want in the font? A different color or a different size?
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

YoMan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by YoMan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:41 pm

What change did you want in the font? A different color or a different size?
I managed to make the font larger and bolder which makes it easier to read. It is OK just as it is. Even though it would be nice to have a better looking screen as JerryF has (above), I don't feel like experimenting with it further if it is likely to screw things up.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:54 pm

Using Grub Customizer, even once, adds a thick layer of unnecessary complexity to your Grub. I advise a clean installation to get rid of it, because removing GC won't cure that. And don't ever use GC again:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... Customizer
(item 6.2.2, right column)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:57 pm

Pjotr wrote:I advise a clean installation to get rid of it, because removing GC won't cure that.
Would purging grub and GC, deleting /boot/grub, /usr/lib/grub, /etc/grub.d, and /usr/share/grub, and then reinstalling grub without rebooting work?
If so, it would seem a lot simpler. :?
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:59 pm

Making the background and font different colors is fairly easy. Making the font bigger is a bit more complicated (but not all that bad).
The first step in the process is to check with Grub to see what screen resolutions Grub will allow you to use. Boot to the Grub menu, but don't start any OS - instead press c (for Command Line). That will give you a Grub prompt, which looks like this: grub >
Enter the command:

Code: Select all

vbeinfo
Grub will display a list of acceptable resolutions, such as "1152x864"
Write those down - or at least the ones that sound good to you. Then press ESC to go back to the main Grub menu and boot.
After you boot into Mint, open the text file, /etc/default/grub in your text editor with this command:

gksudo xed /etc/default/grub
You will see one line that says:
GRUB_GFXMODE="1152x864"
Change that to your preferred resolution. Save the file and exit the editor. Anytime you make a change to a grub config file, you have to update Grub:

sudo update-grub
Then you can get crazy like I did and put in a wallpaper background...
And credit to Pjotr for the instructions on doing that. :D
Last edited by austin.texas on Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:06 pm

Fred Barclay wrote:
Pjotr wrote:I advise a clean installation to get rid of it, because removing GC won't cure that.
Would purging grub and GC, deleting /boot/grub, /usr/lib/grub, /etc/grub.d, and /usr/share/grub, and then reinstalling grub without rebooting work?
If so, it would seem a lot simpler. :?
Yes, it seems probable that that would work as well.... I haven't tried it though, and I'm not going to either. :mrgreen:

But the GC victims might try it safely: they have nothing to lose anyway.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Software & Applications”