Chromium not updated

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
luis_29

Chromium not updated

Post by luis_29 »

Hi all.

I'm using Chromium as web browser. The version right now is 53.0.2785.143. I'm using Linux Mint 17 64-bit. I haven't received any updates of Chromium in the last 2 or 3 months. Today Gmail says that this version of Chromium is no longer supported.

Do you know if is there anything wrong with the updates of Chromium? Firefox for instance receives its updates on time.

Best regards.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Chromium not updated

Post by xenopeek »

That is correct. Chromium isn't in the Ubuntu main repository, it comes from the Ubuntu universe repository. Packages from the main repository, like Firefox, are supported by Canonical employees. Packages from the universe repository are supported by community developers and from one package to another the level of attention can vary widely depending on what time those developers have available (and are they paid to work on it or do they do it in their free time).

LMDE 2, the Linux Mint edition based on Debian, does have the current Chromium version.

On Linux Mint 17 (or Ubuntu 14.04) it may be a better idea to run Google Chrome as that gets updates directly from Google Chrome team.
racer-x
Level 5
Level 5

Post by racer-x »

Here's my version of Chromium:
Version 55.0.2883.87 Built on Ubuntu , running on LinuxMint 18.1 (64-bit)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Which while newer is still unfortunately almost 2 months old and outdated. Version 56 is current.
BiohaZd

Post by BiohaZd »

xenopeek wrote: On Linux Mint 17 (or Ubuntu 14.04) it may be a better idea to run Google Chrome as that gets updates directly from Google Chrome team.
is there a repo for that ?

EDIT: found it - https://www.google.co.uk/chrome/browser/desktop/
Penn

Post by Penn »

I'm on LMDE so I have 56. What I find disconcerting about Ubuntu universe not updating LTS versions can be summed up with this -

Code: Select all

apt policy chromium
chromium:
  Installed: 56.0.2924.76-1~deb8u1
  Candidate: 56.0.2924.76-1~deb8u1
  Version table:
 *** 56.0.2924.76-1~deb8u1 0
        500 http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     55.0.2883.75-1~deb8u1 0
        500 ftp://debian.gtisc.gatech.edu/debian/ jessie/main amd64 Packages
If i understand that correct, 56 is at least in part a matter of security. I know many of the updates I have gotten for Chromium are security updates.

Yeah, I get it. Universe isn't officially supported. So you only have 1 browser option directly from Ubuntu if you want security updates. Then again, search for the threads on this forum and you will find LTS doesn't really mean 5 years.
luis_29

Post by luis_29 »

Hi all.

Two years ago, I decided to install Linux Mint 17 as it was LTS with support for 5 years. I didn't need the latest versions of the usual software, for instance for Libre Office. But in this time I am beginning to feel the need for some software more updated. For instance, I have added a PPA for Darktable (RAW photo developer) and I have received updates for it until 2 months ago, but the newer versions are no longer supported on Ubuntu 14.04 (and its derivate Linux Mint 17).
Now something similar with Chromium, which I prefer over Firefox because it's faster for me. I suppose new versions of Chromium will arrive, but it will take some time. But nowadays I'm analizing the possibility of changing to a rolling release because of this, maybe some derivate of Arch Linux, maybe Debian Testing or even LMDE.
xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xdicey »

BiohaZd wrote:
is there a repo for that ?

EDIT: found it - https://www.google.co.uk/chrome/browser/desktop/

Isn't it the same old version this links to? I tried it and at the end of 'install' GDebi says the same version already exists. Were you able to install the latest version, 56, via this link?
-QUAD CORE Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU (-HT-MCP-) 2.40GHz x4
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD
-Graphics Card: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
luis_29

Post by luis_29 »

I update this post.

After some time receiving updates of Chromium, now it's several months ago that there haven't been any more updates. I'm on Linux Mint 17 and the Chromium version I have is 65.0.3325.181. Do you know if there will be more updates? Or is there any reliable PPA to keep it updated?

Best regards.
racer-x
Level 5
Level 5

Post by racer-x »

Currently using Chromium v70.0.3538.110 in Linux Mint 19
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

For those of you on older releases of Mint, I would suggest using snap and installing Chromium from there (now on version 70.0.3538.110). This way you'll continue to get updates.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

keep in mind that though its true that LM17 has an end of life not due for another 4 months yet, you will still get security updates for Ubuntu 14.04 as well as LM updates, but that doesnt mean that things from other vendors like Chromium browser will be updated as well for LM 17 for that same amount of time...depending on your own individual circumstances, it may well be time to upgrade to another, newer OS such as LM 18.3 or the latest LM 19 in order to have the latest versions of chromium/chrome etc that these vendors WILL support to their latest versions since they may well not support LM 17 or earlier any longer...this does not mean Linux Mint 17 operating system isnt supported any longer, just some of the software may not be supported because the various vendors have moved on to the latest releases and may no longer see any benefit to support releases that are due to expire as EOL in the very near future...DAMIEN
luis_29

Post by luis_29 »

For now I've installed Google Chrome. I feel it's a little less snappy than Chromium, but anyway... I'm a little pressed on disk space and prefer not to touch snaps for the moment.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

I'm confused. I'm on 19 Xfce, and an update just came through today for Chromium.

Version 71.0.3578.80 (Official Build) Built on Ubuntu , running on LinuxMint 19 (64-bit)

Does that mean luis_29 won't get that version in Mint 17?
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi jerry..."you" and I have the most current version...cant say for certain but i dont believe chromium version we have is available in his older LM 17 due to expire as EOL in the next 4 months, this of course could also be the case for google chrome as well, (he would have to check his version number he just installed to be sure it matchs our numbers), but as always, i could be wrong once again...lol...DAMIEN

Chromium: 71.0.3578.80 (Official Build) (64-bit)
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

This is why I recommended Snap; updates would not be an issue regardless of the OS version.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:07 pm hi jerry..."you" and I have the most current version...cant say for certain but i dont believe chromium version we have is available in his older LM 17 due to expire as EOL in the next 4 months, this of course could also be the case for google chrome as well, (he would have to check his version number he just installed to be sure it matchs our numbers), but as always, i could be wrong once again...lol...DAMIEN

Chromium: 71.0.3578.80 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Bummer for luis_29 :cry: If I were luis_29, I'd install Chrome. My Chrome is also Version 71.0.3578.80 (Official Build) (64-bit)
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi again jerry...this is also the same version numbers in my "Brave" browser as well...DAMIEN

Return to “Software & Applications”