Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
dg1727
Level 1
Level 1

Nemo: "+" sign for more right-click actions isn't obvious

Post by dg1727 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:04 pm

Although https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issues/1281 has been closed, I still agree with user "donlencho" who opened that issue.

This forum thread is for any discussion on this topic.
donlencho wrote: I can understand the need to save space, but really, that's not very discoverable. How would anyone click there thinking it is something else than more options for the "Open" command?
To be discoverable I would propose replacing the + sign by an extra line saying "More actions" / "Less actions" to toggle them. Or put that in the preferences.
JosephMcc wrote: Hovering the icon does display the text "Show more actions".
... but I think that even after the user has discovered the meaning of the (+), putting the (+) in the same menu entry as Open still doesn't quite make sense, since the 2 things aren't related.

If an extra line of text would take too much space, then maybe a downward-pointing triangle (horizontally centered) that if the user clicks it, it expands into more menu entries. Some GTK+ menus put this kind of triangle at the top or bottom (to indicate that the menu can scroll) when the menu is taller than the available screen space. The triangle is only about half as tall as a line of text.

I also question the concern about screen space, since I think the Nemo right-click menu (when collapsed & often even when expanded) is typically no more than about 500 pixels high, which should fit on most screens, and those scrolling triangles could be added if needed on small screens.

Also, I think standard grammar would be "fewer actions" as the current menu has, rather than "less actions." :-)

I agree that a preferences option would be suitable for "how to expand & collapse the right-click menu," if the Linux Mint developers can't soon be convinced to change the current (+)/(-) icons entirely.
--dg1727

dg1727
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Nemo: "+" sign for more right-click actions isn't obvious

Post by dg1727 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:06 pm

I'm using Nemo version 3.2.2.
--dg1727

dg1727
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dg1727 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:09 pm

JosephMcc himself made an interesting comment about the "+" icon while that feature was still in development:

From https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issues/1012
JosephMcc wrote: [on Nov 17, 2015]
I would much rather see the expander as [its] own menu item or see the extended menu items go into their own flyout. I understand this breaks the grouping but I still think it would be better.
Having it in [its] current place is just strange. I've never seen a menu that behaves like that.
It's true that, later in that same thread (issue 1012), he wrote:
This was improved and now the text changes in the menu to let you know what's going on. We have seen really no usability complaints about it.
... and that in issue 1281, he was writing on behalf of the whole development team, whereas in issue 1012 he was just giving his own opinion
... but I thought I'd point this out anyway. :-)
--dg1727

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Post by MintBean » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:54 pm

I spent a year and a half believing shortcuts could only be created from the command line, so yeah, I would say it's not particularly intuitive.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:10 pm

dg1727 wrote:JosephMcc ...
... he wrote:
This was improved and now the text changes in the menu to let you know what's going on. We have seen really no usability complaints about it.
Those comments and the habit, to close issues, which a dev team member does not like, belong to the reasons, why I have stopped my activity at github/linuxmint nearly totally. There does no nice comment come into my head, if I read such a thing. Either he does not read or he refuses to respect, that other people have different opinions.

Fact is, that complaints about this wrong solution do exist, since this "feature" does exist, namely since Mint 17.3 (Cinnamon 2.8 ). I alone have written in the last year several complaints, combined with suggestion, how to do this right; the last time here.

Everybody might draw his / her own conclusions out of the assertion "we do really have no complaints". The hard truth is, that since more than 1 year there are repeatedly numerous complaints. Another truth is, that he himself provided a different opinion a year ago, where he named the place strange and the menu behaving different to all what he has seen before (is he nobody?) and another truth is, that he is not even in accordance with himself. Under this circumstances I do not expect any progress or seriously meant discussion.

Return to “Software & Applications”