install firefox, apt-get update fail, software manager fail

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AnotherLover

install firefox, apt-get update fail, software manager fail

Post by AnotherLover »

Alright I have Maya installed on this old T42 and I'm trying to install firefox41 (the one in software manager). Things are kinda flippy when it comes to software upgrades. When i do "apt-get update" i get error messages about packages not found, and "apt-get upgrade" gives me a ton of error messages and nothing happens -- just like when I try it through the update manager. So I go to Software Manager, which informs me Firefox is ready to be installed, I click "install," type my password, and watch as absolutely nothing happens.

I downloaded the tar file for the latest firefox and extracted that to my home folder and ran it from there. I decided firefox 51 is too much for the machine -- I could be wrong about that because the machine is running pretty slow these days for anything else as well. Anyway, I just deleted firefox from the home folder to uninstall it. So maybe it's still installed in some ways. Anyway, this is a big freakin' headache and I don't even know where to start. I'd like to get firefox installed.

OK, so inxi says:
CPU~Single core Intel Pentium M (-UP-) clocked at 800.000 Mhz Kernel~3.2.0-88-generic i686 Up~2:03 Mem~500.8/1001.0MB HDD~40.0GB(40.6% used) Procs~140 Client~Shell inxi~1.7.33

Best. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: install firefox, apt-get update fail, software manager fail

Post by Cosmo. »

AnotherLover wrote:I decided firefox 51 is too much for the machine
Without the least doubt a wrong decision. Any version below the most current one is packed with security leaks.

Open the software sources and deactivate all PPAs you have probably added, then refresh the cache. Now try again to update, whatever the update manager offers for level 1 to 3.

You cannot expect in these days, that a single-core Pentium with 800 Mz will be able to compete with current multi-core CPUs.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, AnotherLover.

A machine that can run Firefox 41 can also run Firefox 51.

Code: Select all

karl@paulchen ~ $ inxi -CMIS; LC_ALL=C dpkg --list firefox | grep "^ii"
System:    Host: paulchen Kernel: 3.13.0-108-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: Xfce 4.12.2
           Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela
Machine:   Device: laptop System: Acer product: AOD260 v: V1.08_Vodafone
           Mobo: Acer model: AOD260 v: V1.08_Vodafone BIOS: Acer v: V1.08_Vodafone date: 06/29/2010
Battery    BAT0: charge: 11.5 Wh 48.0% condition: 24.0/44.0 Wh (54%)
CPU:       Single core Intel Atom N450 (-HT-) cache: 512 KB 
           clock speeds: max: 1666 MHz 1: 1000 MHz 2: 1666 MHz
Info:      Processes: 173 Uptime: 44 min Memory: 564.0/991.3MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.8 
ii  firefox	51.0.1+build2-0ubuntu0.14.04.2	i386	Safe and easy web browser from Mozilla
Karl
Last edited by karlchen on Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: amended the inxi command to display the CPU as well
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
AnotherLover

Post by AnotherLover »

ha ha thanks yeah I figured that out along the way that 41 pretty much equals 51 in terms of memory etc. And so yeah that's what I'm running it works fine. Goin easy on the tabs and resuming the "wait, give it time" mantra. I like the idea of removing ppa's and emptying the cache. I suppose there's a tutorial for that. Thanks much.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

AnotherLover wrote:I like the idea of removing ppa's and emptying the cache. I suppose there's a tutorial for that.
Fortunately, removing PPA's and refreshing the cache to too easy to require a tutorial. Open the Software Sources program. Menu > Administration > Software Sources > PPA > Remove (or disable)/
Just click, click, click - it's real easy, man.

To refresh the cache, click the "Refresh the Cache" button.
Don't ask me where the "Refresh the Cash" button is - I keep looking for it.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Maybe some packages have gone from the mirrors you are using? Worth trying others. Maya is close to EOL.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
AnotherLover

Post by AnotherLover »

Fortunately, removing PPA's and refreshing the cache to too easy to require a tutorial. Open the Software Sources program. Menu > Administration > Software Sources > PPA > Remove (or disable)/
Just click, click, click - it's real easy, man.

To refresh the cache, click the "Refresh the Cache" button.
Don't ask me where the "Refresh the Cash" button is - I keep looking for it.
Okay, I don't know if you're joking about resetting the cache. I don't even know what cache I would be resetting or what a ppa is. I don't have "Administration" in the menu, I have "Settings," and in "Software Sources" I have 3 tabs. One of those tabs, labelled "Other Software," has a list including some PPA's, but it doesn't address PPA's in any menu and doesn't mention any cache anywhere. So no luck there.

Could you tell me how I'm actually supposed to install firefox from the tar file? I have the folder and I just run firefox from there -- either from my home directory or from the desktop. It feels pretty lame and I don't know what the steps are to actually install it like other software. I could repost that question, too, of course. Thanks!
grumpy_geek

Post by grumpy_geek »

AnotherLover wrote:Could you tell me how I'm actually supposed to install firefox from the tar file?
https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Install- ... /ta-p/2516
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Return to “Software & Applications”